What's your meal allowance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr.Acula99

Curious about other people's provided meals. I'm at a prelim medicine program, medium size, total IM class is about 60. We get one meal per night shift, added mine up for the year and about 35-40 nights for me is about 300$ for me. Seems low to me now thinking back to interviews. We do occasioanlly get food at noon conferences, maybe 2-3 times per week.

Members don't see this ad.

$600/yr. hot lunch every weekly confrence. attendings on evning shift sometimes gets food for the crew.

Members don't see this ad :)
Free cafeteria meals anytime we are working nights and/or weekends. Otherwise, free food from the doctor's lounges which includes a daily soup, sandwiches, and a variety of other things.

We get something like $200-300 depending on the amount of "call" we are assigned each year as we get some reimbursement for each shift. What quantifies as "call" however is up to interpretation so we usually end up getting fairly shafted.

No idea what it is anymore, but my program gave us an allowance for each day we were on call and expected to be at work for >1 meal. So when you had overnight (>24h...back in the olden days) call, you got 2 meals worth of money. If you were on "Long Call" or NF, you got 1 meals worth of money. When you were on VA wards/ICU you got 1 meal ticket/day.

$50-150/mo cafeteria money depending number of days on call; plus free breakfast, lunch and snacks.