Mad Cow's disease and blood donations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Peloncito

Family Physician
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been permanently removed from the blood donating pool for life. Apparantly, since I was an Army brat in europe between the years 1980 and 1996, I have been permanently banned from donating blood for fear of mad cow's disese. Any thoughts people? I have mixed feelings about this, but I guess it's better to err on the side of caution.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat. I find it particularly ironic because I didn't like British beef so I really didn't eat it. Unfortunately, I can't go to the Red Cross & say that yes, I did live there, but I didn't eat the meat!

I also have mixed emotions about this. The actual risk is extremely low...we're really being cautious on this one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think prions were transmitted through the blood.

Also, it is amazing how cautious they are on this, but anyone with a tattoo can donate if it has been a year since they got it... despite the stats showing that 1 in 5 with a tattoo has Hep C.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is interesting...I did my final Biochem research paper on CJD and BSE. It seems I found the CDC (in journal Emerging Infectious Disease) that prions cannot be transmitted in the blood. Try a seach
CDC

Originally posted by jkhamlin
it is amazing how cautious they are on this

I think its just because people have been frightened by the stories about BSE/vCJD so that has led the FDA to take "no chances," even though the actual risk is extremely low. I believe that there have been fewer than 200 cases of vCJD worldwide.

Good point, DrMom. It has been sensationalized to death. I myself am kind of scared about prions ever since I learned about them, but I try to keep myself from jumping to unscientific conclusions. We need more scientific experts talking about this and less media types.

The fact that its almost a non-risk is what gets to me the most. I have B+ blood and am always getting calls to come in and donate because of shortages. Hopefully someone will realize that we are not a risk and will allow us to donate again. On the other hand, my father has Hep C from blood transfusions (I know, a totally different disease with a different vector) and his life will ultimately be cut short because of a disease he didn't know about and 20 years of what he thought was moderation drinking.

I also find it interesting that Red Cross guidelines have recently removed a large portion of the armed forces from donating. Anyone who has spent more than a few months in eastern Europe at any time is ineligible. Since just about everyone in the army for more than a few years has served time in Bosnia or Kosovo, this really makes a huge dent in the donor population.

I work as a medical screener and a phlebotomist in Southern Louisiana. First of all, it is not Red Cross's call or Tenet's call on whether they can accept a donor or not. It is the FDA. They tell us who we can accept and who we can not. If we would accept any of those donors, it is an FDA reportable error, and the screener and phlebotomist could get canned. The reason they do not accept them is because as ya'll stated, they do not know enough about the disease. There is no test for CJD and they do not want it to be spread through donations. It is all about statistics. The longer a person stayed in the UK, the better chance they had to encounter the disease. THe reason the military is deferred if they were stationed in Europe is because the commisaries where the military buys their food all had British beef. Britain is our biggest ally and we just used their beef. People who are now permanently deferred will not be for long. THey will find a test that can detect the disease, and those people who were once deferred will be able to donate. IT is just like tattoos. They once thought that all tattoo parlors were dirty. They realized that most are clean. Not only that, they have NAT tests which can detect AIDS and Hepatitis viruses within eight days of getting the disease. So don't fret, ya'll will become regular donors once again.