M3 with growing interest in OB, am I competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfootisreal

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I can go and look at NRMP but I’m looking for some anecdotal or experiential advice here. M3 (MD student at state school) wading through clerkships with a 233 step 1. 2 papers in the works And 1 publication (1st author) from undergrad with 5 poster presentations and a good amount of volunteer work. I’ve really been drawn to OB more and more and I’m just wondering how competitive I am. Not looking to match top programs but would like to stay in the west or Midwest. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably competitive for mid tier programs in Midwest, get good LORs and you’re pretty set

what about in the west coast? Or western states, not super interested in CA. I’m currently in the west coast too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on where. U of Washington, U of Utah. OHSU are probably Among the most competitive around the country, don’t know of others but I think Creighton has one as does South Dakota and UNLV, don’t know how competitive those are

Depends on where. U of Washington, U of Utah. OHSU are probably Among the most competitive around the country, don’t know of others but I think Creighton has one as does South Dakota and UNLV, don’t know how competitive those are

Thank you that's very helpful. Do you think I would need to apply to a large amount of programs?

Thank you that's very helpful. Do you think I would need to apply to a large amount of programs?
With your application I think 35-45 would be the better number with 10-12 reaches, 8-10 safeties and the rest mid-tier. You want to end up with 12ish interviews and you'd rather be cancelling interviews than wishing you'd just spend the extra couple hundred dollars. Gender?

With your application I think 35-45 would be the better number with 10-12 reaches, 8-10 safeties and the rest mid-tier. You want to end up with 12ish interviews and you'd rather be cancelling interviews than wishing you'd just spend the extra couple hundred dollars. Gender?

I agree. Money is well spent if it ensures that I have a better chance. I am a male btw!

I agree. Money is well spent if it ensures that I have a better chance. I am a male btw!
I think you'll do pretty well then. I'm also male, just went through this process last year. PM me if you have questions