Luminello shutting down. Alternatives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a bit disappointed with osmind so far. I want to like it, because I'm set up already... I guess I'm just having some buyer's remorse. Right now I'm annoyed by the schedule/calendar -- it keeps going back to day view instead of week view (my preferred view), and I keep having to scroll down from midnight to work hours. I have no idea why this is so annoying to me.
And my patients are confused about what the app is for.

So those of you who've been enjoying osmind, what do you like about it?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a bit disappointed with osmind so far. I want to like it, because I'm set up already... I guess I'm just having some buyer's remorse. Right now I'm annoyed by the schedule/calendar -- it keeps going back to day view instead of week view (my preferred view), and I keep having to scroll down from midnight to work hours. I have no idea why this is so annoying to me.

This calendaring issue would be extremely annoying to me. I've already ruled out Osmind because of really annoying things like calendaring issues and others (patient's can't cancel an appointment without contacting you, no prescreening form, too many clicks for appointments, patient's can't create their own superbill, can't search medical records, need to confirm every appointment).

I'm going between Charm and PracticeQ but right now, a lot of things annoy me about PracticeQ. Charm seems the most optimized and customizable for my personal preferences. I get to keep my Bluefin rates too from Luminello which is big.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to download the app to schedule appointments and stuff? As a patient I'd also be pretty annoyed if I couldn't make doctor appointments without downloading some app.
Nah, I just schedule for them. That's what I've been doing on luminello, too.
My schedule varies too much and I don't use google calendar (I use proton, which doesn't play nicely with anyone), so the 'availability' that patients would see would be inaccurate at best.

Do you have to download the app to schedule appointments and stuff? As a patient I'd also be pretty annoyed if I couldn't make doctor appointments without downloading some app.

There is a web portal although the app works better. I schedule everyone myself in a BAA-Google Calendar regardless because nobody is my scheduling dad. This may significantly contribute to my positive impression of Osmind, sounds like.

This calendaring issue would be extremely annoying to me. I've already ruled out Osmind because of really annoying things like calendaring issues and others (patient's can't cancel an appointment without contacting you, no prescreening form, too many clicks for appointments, patient's can't create their own superbill, can't search medical records, need to confirm every appointment).

I'm going between Charm and PracticeQ but right now, a lot of things annoy me about PracticeQ. Charm seems the most optimized and customizable for my personal preferences. I get to keep my Bluefin rates too from Luminello which is big.
Isn't Charm known for being clunky? I don't like how the pricing for their various services are piecemeal. That confuses me as to what the actual total price would be. I did the PracticeQ demonstration earlier. I don't like how you have to log into the clearinghouse's website to verify a patient's insurance. I want to be able to do that from the EMR without extra steps. They said they will be adding that feature to the EMR sometime this year. I am doing the demos for Osmind and CureMD this week.

Isn't Charm known for being clunky? I don't like how the pricing for their various services are piecemeal. That confuses me as to what the actual total price would be. I did the PracticeQ demonstration earlier. I don't like how you have to log into the clearinghouse's website to verify a patient's insurance. I want to be able to do that from the EMR without extra steps. They said they will be adding that feature to the EMR sometime this year. I am doing the demos for Osmind and CureMD this week.
I've also heard that charm's support is pretty slow and/or unhelpful.

Charm is known for having lots of customization and features that are somewhat difficult to figure out, but I find that this can fine tune for many different types of practices. You can get rid of any button, menu item, or feature from that tab/page if you don't use it or find it too clunky.

It's a lot up front to make it fit your specific needs and is more than PracticeQ in terms of that initial setup, but I can already see that it's a better choice for me long term.

Charm is known for having lots of customization and features that are somewhat difficult to figure out, but I find that this can fine tune for many different types of practices. You can get rid of any button, menu item, or feature from that tab/page if you don't use it or find it too clunky.

It's a lot up front to make it fit your specific needs and is more than PracticeQ in terms of that initial setup, but I can already see that it's a better choice for me long term.

I thought I wanted incredibly customizable and fine-tuned options available, but in the immortal words of splik on these very boards, it turns out I have "too much ADHD and not enough autism." Osmind making automated sending out of a fairly wide selection of validated questionnaires and auto-magically generating appropriate line graphs turns out to be enough for me. apparently what I care about is "number go up."

Reactions: 1 users
I thought I wanted incredibly customizable and fine-tuned options available, but in the immortal words of splik on these very boards, it turns out I have "too much ADHD and not enough autism." Osmind making automated sending out of a fairly wide selection of validated questionnaires and auto-magically generating appropriate line graphs turns out to be enough for me. apparently what I care about is "number go up."
PracticeQ can also be set up to automatically send out
questionnaires. It can't generate data points on a graph but apparently enough folks from Luminello have requested it that this capability is in the works. It's also half the cost of Osmind.

It's funny you mention that because splik uses Charm.

PracticeQ can also be set up to automatically send out
questionnaires. It can't generate data points on a graph but apparently enough folks from Luminello have requested it that this capability is in the works. It's also half the cost of Osmind.
Turns out Osmind can only send out questionnaires at certain intervals i.e. Every month, 2 months, etc. You can't tie them to an appointment, for example, I can't set it to send out a PHQ-9 2 days before an appointment. You can't pull in the questionnaire scores into your visit note. You have to manually enter them. Text reminders are default to 24 hours before the appointment. You can't set it to 48 hours which I prefer, gives the patient time to cancel or reschedule. Patients have to request confirmation to set an appointment and have to call to cancel. Because there's no pre-screening form, you have to manually enter the basic demographics for every new patient. No e-fax integration. Sending records to another provider is a tedious process. All the things above, that I can't do on Osmind, I can do on PracticeQ.

Osmind also uses Change Healthcare and you have to log into their website to verify benefits and see what the patient's copay is. The EMR doesn't show their copay before the visit.

I feel like Osmind is very overpriced for what they offer. Maybe my expectations are too high but I wasn't impressed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Turns out Osmind can only send out questionnaires at certain intervals i.e. Every month, 2 months, etc. You can't tie them to an appointment, for example, I can't set it to send out a PHQ-9 2 days before an appointment. You can't pull in the questionnaire scores into your visit note. You have to manually enter them. Text reminders are default to 24 hours before the appointment. You can't set it to 48 hours which I prefer, gives the patient time to cancel or reschedule. Patients have to request confirmation to set an appointment and have to call to cancel. Because there's no pre-screening form, you have to manually enter the basic demographics for every new patient. No e-fax integration. Sending records to another provider is a tedious process. All the things above, that I can't do on Osmind, I can do on PracticeQ.

Osmind also uses Change Healthcare and you have to log into their website to verify benefits and see what the patient's copay is. The EMR doesn't show their copay before the visit.

I feel like Osmind is very overpriced for what they offer. Maybe my expectations are too high but I wasn't impressed.

Osmind is working on a solution to verification and submitting claims that does not involve Change Healthcare, but clearly in early days still.

Osmind again appears to be really young of an EMR company that doesn't have as much functionality as other EMRs.

I feel the same about PracticeQ when comparing it to Charm. The things I can't do on PracticeQ, I can do on Charm.

Osmind again appears to be really young of an EMR company that doesn't have as much functionality as other EMRs.

I feel the same about PracticeQ when comparing it to Charm. The things I can't do on PracticeQ, I can do on Charm.

I think that's true, but I am reassured by going into the Osmind Practice Community thing and seeing people asking for features a year ago that they definitely have now.

I think that's true, but I am reassured by going into the Osmind Practice Community thing and seeing people asking for features a year ago that they definitely have now.
They seem to really want to integrate changes and are working on this and pushing out changes QUICK. They're probably one of the most responsive EHR companies. Luminello, not so much (have been asking for Google calendar integration for years, never got it out)

• Mostly navigation. It takes me way less time to do things on Charm than PracticeQ just from the free trials of both. Too many mouse clicks.
  • Can't score objective measurement rating scales and graph them out (there's a workaround where you export it as an excel file).
  • Can't pull in previous vital signs/weight/BMI or graph it out over time. Charm has growth charts (I'm CAP).
  • Can't retain my negotiated lower rates with the payment processor.
  • Can't have different fee schedules without a work around where patients see your full rate and then are offered a discount %.
  • Not having textexpander/dotphrases. Has a snippet function but it's extra mouse clicks and it lacks formatting.
  • Prescribing medications takes a LOT of clicks. It's a separate system that doesn't automatically pull into the note. I like that you can just prescribe from the note in Charm instead of having to navigate to a separate webpage.
  • Using hotkeys to navigate the EMR (This is a small personal preference of mine to use the mouse as little as possible).
  • Cost: Charm is also cheaper for the flexiplan. $0.50/encounter with $25 minimum. I probably see 100 encounters a month so that's slightly cheaper than the $139.90/mo of PracticeQ.
I might be wrong about the above and would love to hear it since I didn't actually use it live. Some of these are just personal preferences.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Mostly navigation. It takes me way less time to do things on Charm than PracticeQ just from the free trials of both. Too many mouse clicks.
  • Can't score objective measurement rating scales and graph them out (there's a workaround where you export it as an excel file).
  • Can't pull in previous vital signs/weight/BMI or graph it out over time. Charm has growth charts (I'm CAP).
  • Can't have different fee schedules without a work around where patients see your full rate and then are offered a discount %.
  • Not having textexpander/dotphrases. Has a snippet function but it's extra mouse clicks and it lacks formatting.
  • Prescribing medications takes a LOT of clicks. It's a separate system that doesn't automatically pull into the note. I like that you can just prescribe from the note in Charm instead of having to navigate to a separate webpage.
  • Using hotkeys to navigate the EMR (This is a small personal preference of mine to use the mouse as little as possible).
  • Cost: Charm is also cheaper for the flexiplan. $0.50/encounter with $25 minimum. I probably see 100 encounters a month so that's slightly cheaper than the $139.90/mo of PracticeQ.
I might be wrong about the above and would love to hear it since I didn't actually use it live. Some of these are just personal preferences.
Is the poor customer service worth the trade off?

They seem to really want to integrate changes and are working on this and pushing out changes QUICK. They're probably one of the most responsive EHR companies. Luminello, not so much (have been asking for Google calendar integration for years, never got it out)
I hope you're right. I just keep finding new problems that I didn't even think to ask about because I assumed they're just basic functions of an EHR or patient portal (patients can't get superbills or invoices from the portal, you have to email them, and the portal doesn't have any appointment info).

And I just don't know what they were thinking with these note templates, especially the options for MSE.

[edited to remove a bunch of examples, because it's not necessary and just me ranting. Except I will mention that 'catatonic' was a possible choice under 'psychomotor.']

So, I guess I'll keep both until Luminello disappears, and hopefully they'll have fixed some of these by then?

Last edited:
Is the poor customer service worth the trade off?
I haven't experienced poor customer service. The sales team has been great and I've spoken with them several times. Any time I ask a question, I get response with a detailed web page about how to fix the problem I have. There's a ton of support information that has been documented in both YouTube videos, web pages, and I get a response from someone in the US who can understand the issue. I keep hearing this "poor customer service" parroted by many people on the forum/Facebook groups, but have not encountered this as an issue. The support is much better than Luminello, which I thought had an excellent team to answer my questions especially at onboarding.

I hope you're right. I just keep finding new problems that I didn't even think to ask about because I assumed they're just basic functions of an EHR or patient portal (patients can't get superbills or invoices from the portal, you have to email them, and the portal doesn't have any appointment info).

And I just don't know what they were thinking with these note templates, especially the options for MSE.

[edited to remove a bunch of examples, because it's not necessary and just me ranting. Except I will mention that 'catatonic' was a possible choice under 'psychomotor.']

So, I guess I'll keep both until Luminello disappears, and hopefully they'll have fixed some of these by then?
If it doesn't have fully what you want, you should continue to look around. It's a short term headache and burden for a system you might be using for years. This is why I trialed probably 6-7 different EMRs before deciding on one that had 100% of what I wanted.

Luminello did not have 100% of what I wanted but it was the least cumbersome to start and learn. Now that I'm a bit more sophisticated in my practice management and desire more automation/functionality, I need an EMR that can match that.

Some of those would be pretty annoying, but the bolded would be non-starters for me. I'm already inefficient enough, if I can't accomplish the most basic parts of an encounter with ease then an EMR with those problems isn't even worth consideration. I've always been spoiled with Epic as my main EMR (and CPRS at times in residency), so this whole thread just sounds awful, lol.

I love IntakeQ/practiceQ! There is a learning curve and it takes time to set up but it’s so customizable and allows me to automate most of my admin work. They have eprescribing but not elabs. I had luminello before and switched ~18 months ago
How do you automate your admin work? I am just switching over from Luminello this month!

Also, if you do a lot of rating scales as part of your intake , PracticeQ is unparalleled. You can make forms to your specifications, use conditional logic (i.e., trigger certain questions or even whole forms based on previous questions), and export to Excel. So if someone selects female, it'll pop up pregnancy and breastfeeding questions; if someone says no, they don't drink any alcohol, it'll hide the AUDIT-C that I typically have patients fill out, etc. Then you can click a button, export to CSV and then have Excel auto-score everything.
Wow! I am just starting with PracticeQ and it seems difficult to make the forms/templates....why do you need to export to CSV? don't they automatically go in the chart?

I've been satisfied with Luminello, although could see it getting a bit clunky as my practice grows. Most of my headaches have been with Apex/Change Healthcare, so not directly Luminello itself. I do like the prospect of everything (clearinghouse, video calls) being run through SimplePractice instead of having to use Apex and doxy.me. It will be annoying for me and patients to have to learn a new system, but I would assume e-prescribing should be up and running before the transition, which will be the most important thing. I'm sure getting enrolled with payers again will be a pain and it sounds like they are actively encouraging us to do that as soon as we accept the migration. The main thing I am concerned with is labs. How am I supposed to order labs for patients now with no ability to print lab slips? Any advice?

I'm signed up for an annual plan on Luminello and haven't seen anything about a refund for the unused months that I've already paid for, or if that will be used as a credit at SimplePractice.
They said they will give a prorated refund..

I exported all notes and med history as a pdf and uploaded to practice Q. It’s tedious but not terrible if you start early. I made a credit card auth form that I sent all patients when I migrated which took no time once set up
I am just switching over this week and could use some help! Did you get Luminello to export the charts or did you export them yourself? and the same with the med history, did you have to export each one individually or is there a way to export all? Does the credit card auth form automatically input their credit card into PracticeQ for you? Feeling lost as I loved the integration I had with Luminello for e-rx, billing and claims....

Yes. You can run reporting functions to see if visits over X time period have not been billed. There are notes and invoices attached to each visit. It's easy to create an electronic CMS 1500 claim to send to insurance and if your ERAs are functional it's automatically updated on intakeQ so you can see how much money is coming back, if claims are rejected etc. It's easy to create superbills and do refunds if needed. The payment processor seems to be as good as any other, nothing special. Probably 3-3.3% of credit cards (including all the fixed and variable charges).

I have an admin now that I'm trying to grow my practice and add other docs, though I still do my own billing/claims submission because I just got used to the workflow when I was solo and it takes 30s per patient visit.
I can't seem to figure out to send a claim easily on PracticeQ....it was so easy on Luminello, one click pretty much-loved it!

The only EMRs that I haver ever liked using was Practice Fusion - very simple documentation; however I do not know how easy it is for scheduling/billing, etc.. The worst EMR I have used has been Valant.. by far - extremely not customizable, clunky, impossible to reach support.

On a separate note - I do not know how we are allowing these companies based in Asia to handle HIPAA data
I was using Practice Fusion until a couple months ago for a contracting telemed job, loved everything about it and very easy to schedule patients and order labs, fax referrals, upload things to the chart. easily can create a superbill, and prescribe...BUT their billing integration is terrible! you have to use one of 3 semi integrated ones and I had Kareo and it was terrible!

I just signed. I'll be flipping over to Simple Practice.
Man this sucks. I got attached to Luminello.
My assistant loves it, too. We're both previous fans of Epic but Luminello was just better.
Did some training videos today, gave up after 30 minutes. Just feel sad. I know it was probably unrealistic to think I wouldn't have to ever have an EMR change again, but damn. I hope this Ken Braslow guy made bank. At least some one somewhere gets a smile on their face for this hundreds of clinicians and thousands of patients who all now have to change.
I was in residency with Ken Braslow, he was a few years ahead of me (we didn't keep in touch)....he was always a nice guy...he sold it for around $19 million I read somewhere...I loved Luminello too...sad that simple practice is shutting it down...I am switching to PracticeQ...so far great customer service

I have an Osmind demo today and will report back. I can't schedule a demo with Dr. Chrono and Charm and their customer service doesn't seem great (if it exists at all).

I would much rather just have a blank notepad for my note. Why the different sections if they don't pull into any other parts of the note or chart?

So far, my favorites are PracticeQ, AdvancedMD, RxNT. I'll probably switch to PracticeQ unless SP is better.
Just started with PracticeQ, they offer 2 week free trial and 50% off the first 2 months, price comparable to Luminello and schedule a couple free onboarding sessions via zoom...so far customer service has been great.. you can pull old notes or 'snippets' into a note for PracticeQ and they seem to be fully customizable templates, premade ones, or ones you can make from scratch...

Wow! I am just starting with PracticeQ and it seems difficult to make the forms/templates....why do you need to export to CSV? don't they automatically go in the chart?
Yeah, but the way I use them, CSV is better. My standard intake forms include a good number of standardized tools. I export the form to CSV, drop it into my Excel sheet and I get all of them auto-scored along with interpretation (i.e., get a "Moderate Risk for Sleep Apnea" outputted for a score of 3 on STOP-BANG). Even Google Forms isn't quite robust enough for this. I've tinkered with using the CSV output to help automate sections of competency reports I write. Haven't had enough time to really get it down but I could easily see it cutting down my report writing time by 50% or even more. It's popular with forensic psychologists for this purpose.

I'm using PracticeQ and Charm at this point; Charm as my EMR and PracticeQ to get these forms filled out.

So Charm can't capture patient information from the online intake forms?
Charm has it's own intake forms that autopopulate the note and prescreening forms so I'm not sure why IntakeQ would also be needed.

Yeah, but the way I use them, CSV is better. My standard intake forms include a good number of standardized tools. I export the form to CSV, drop it into my Excel sheet and I get all of them auto-scored along with interpretation (i.e., get a "Moderate Risk for Sleep Apnea" outputted for a score of 3 on STOP-BANG). Even Google Forms isn't quite robust enough for this. I've tinkered with using the CSV output to help automate sections of competency reports I write. Haven't had enough time to really get it down but I could easily see it cutting down my report writing time by 50% or even more. It's popular with forensic psychologists for this purpose.

I'm using PracticeQ and Charm at this point; Charm as my EMR and PracticeQ to get these forms filled out.

You can customize any form in Charm. I’m not sure that it will self-calculate scores, but most forms have simple math. Stop-bang is quite simple.

Osmind is an early EMR that is quite poorly done for outpatient psych. There is not enough customization, too expensive, and when they role out new futures, they are often poorly done or overpriced. Highly recommend avoiding Osmind at this time.

Reactions: 2 users
Osmind is an early EMR that is quite poorly done for outpatient psych. There is not enough customization, too expensive, and when they role out new futures, they are often poorly done or overpriced. Highly recommend avoiding Osmind at this time.

I unfortunately already started using osmind (and paid for the data migration), but I gave my notice yesterday.

I'm going with a combo of Sessions Health + iPrescribe. Sessions has a similar vibe to Luminello in that it has a high function:flash ratio, which I appreciate. TONS more customization than osmind (and luminello, in some things), generally much more useful/functional, and far less expensive ($40/mo + $10/mo for telehealth). It's a bit worse in some areas (like no rich text in notes, from what I can tell?), but whatever, it seems well worth it.
Standalone iPrescribe is $30 or $50/mo (just app or app+desktop, respectively), but there's the downside of eRx and EHR being totally separate.
[if anyone wants a referral code for sessions, hit me up - we both get a free month]

Still haven't transitioned all the way to Osmind as they haven't finished my setup. Luminello seems to have it's prescription integration down. This is getting to be incredibly frustrating. So glad that I never cancelled my back-up iPrescribe account.

Still haven't transitioned all the way to Osmind as they haven't finished my setup. Luminello seems to have it's prescription integration down. This is getting to be incredibly frustrating. So glad that I never cancelled my back-up iPrescribe account.
Mine isn't down.

Looks like SimplePractice got their eRx up and running. It looks really similar to Luminello's DrFirst integration except for the color scheme.

Can anyone explain to me what the downside of SimplePractice is?

I know that we are all annoyed with them due to buying Luminello and not handling the transition very well. But they have a large user base in therapists, seem to have a lot of good features, and therapists seem to like their interface.

Would be curious to hear if anyone else is just going to SimplePractice from Luminello.

Charm seems good too but they don't seem to be good at insurance billing, which is a big problem for me.

ETA: Yes they might get bought too, but just as with Luminello, if they get bought there is going to be a group that will want their users a lot and help a lot with the transition. The bigger concern here seems to be going to a small EMR that is not going to have as much support to transition to somewhere else if they are bought. What EMR is not susceptible to being bought? I looked into some of the free/open source EMRs but they just don't seem to have the same number of features.

Charm seems good too but they don't seem to be good at insurance billing, which is a big problem for me.
Learn from my mistake, just get a biller. I tried billing insurance on my own through Charm and heavily regretted it. The amount of time/money I've lost doing it myself is way more than the 8% I would have had to pay. My current biller charges 5% and is used to Charm; happy to share his info via DM if you want.

I know that we are all annoyed with them due to buying Luminello and not handling the transition very well. But they have a large user base in therapists, seem to have a lot of good features, and therapists seem to like their interface.

Would be curious to hear if anyone else is just going to SimplePractice from Luminello..

I’ve been with SP the whole time, preferring it to luminello for some of the reasons above. I’m actually loving this process because the only downside was needing an additional prescription software. I have a solo private (micro)pracrice and it’s pretty liberating to be able to run everything with an iPhone (if I have to).

Last edited:
I am just going ahead with Simplepractice. It seems like it will do all the (pretty basic) stuff I need. If it isn't sufficient I will switch again.

Would be curious to hear if anyone else is just going to SimplePractice from Luminello.

ETA: Yes they might get bought too, but just as with Luminello, if they get bought there is going to be a group that will want their users a lot and help a lot with the transition. The bigger concern here seems to be going to a small EMR that is not going to have as much support to transition to somewhere else if they are bought. What EMR is not susceptible to being bought? I looked into some of the free/open source EMRs but they just don't seem to have the same number of features.

For various reasons i schedule outside of my EMR. It is impossible in Simple Practice to create a note that is not directly linked to a specific appointment. This is a non-starter for me as a result.

For various reasons i schedule outside of my EMR. It is impossible in Simple Practice to create a note that is not directly linked to a specific appointment. This is a non-starter for me as a result.

Thanks for the thought. It looks like you can create an assessment note, which is what most people seem to use for things like this: https://support.simplepractice.com/...ing-assessments-diagnoses-and-treatment-plans. There are also chart notes, but they can't be signed: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006912192-Using-chart-notes.

Curious to hear what your use case is that wouldn't work with one of these. Are you talking about a progress note, that has certain billing etc requirements not possible with an assessment, and perhaps it's just annoying to have to manually add the date/time of the appointment in two places? That would make sense to me. Just want to make sure I'm not missing a really annoying aspect of SP.

Thanks for the thought. It looks like you can create an assessment note, which is what most people seem to use for things like this: https://support.simplepractice.com/...ing-assessments-diagnoses-and-treatment-plans. There are also chart notes, but they can't be signed: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006912192-Using-chart-notes.

Curious to hear what your use case is that wouldn't work with one of these. Are you talking about a progress note, that has certain billing etc requirements not possible with an assessment, and perhaps it's just annoying to have to manually add the date/time of the appointment in two places? That would make sense to me. Just want to make sure I'm not missing a really annoying aspect of SP.

The use case is writing any progress notes at all given none of my appointments are actually in the EMR's scheduling system.

Does anyone know the downsides of Valant? They have a prospective patient form and looks like they have a lot of good features.

Anyway know if simple practice or charm has a prospective patient form? I'm getting anxiety trying to decide on which EHR to select.