lowest OAT score accepted with good GPA and no degree..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRCM

DRCM
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What range of OAT scores are good for optometry schools, more specifically, SUNY Optometry? What is the lowest OAT score that'll be accepted? I'm only interested in applying to SUNY Optometry. I currently have a 3.73 GPA, and in the previous school I attended, I had a 3.5 with majors in Biology and Biochemistry. However, after next semester, I'll only have the 90 credits. I know its best to have a bachelor's degree, but I'd like to apply for the Fall 2009 cycle without one. I have yet to take the OAT, but for some reason I don't seem to do too well on standardized tests. That's why I'd like to know the lowest score accepted. Also, can I apply without some of the prereqs taken, if I would have them by the time of attendance? Thanks in advance..

Members don't see this ad.

I called SUNY before and they seem pretty adament on having a bach. They seem pretty picky just about everything. They were my #1 choice until I actually called and talked to them. I've spoke with them 3 different times and personally, they seem like major a$sholes. Sorry, just my opinion. (btw, it wasn't like I was a jerk to them or my #'s were that bad. (3.9 gpa)

I called SUNY before and they seem pretty adament on having a bach. They seem pretty picky just about everything. They were my #1 choice until I actually called and talked to them. I've spoke with them 3 different times and personally, they seem like major a$sholes. Sorry, just my opinion. (btw, it wasn't like I was a jerk to them or my #'s were that bad. (3.9 gpa)

ugghh.. yeah, i've been hearing that about this school.. i'm just interested in going there because its the closest school to where I live, and also the cheapest (since I'm a NYC resident). I don't want to rent an apartment or dorm somewhere else, and I also have family (husband going to law school) here.. i was thinking about also applying to that opt school in Pennsylvania since its not too far out.. but either way, I'd like to know the OAT scores that basically any/all optometry schools accept.

Members don't see this ad :)
What range of OAT scores are good for optometry schools, more specifically, SUNY Optometry? What is the lowest OAT score that'll be accepted? I'm only interested in applying to SUNY Optometry. I currently have a 3.73 GPA, and in the previous school I attended, I had a 3.5 with majors in Biology and Biochemistry. However, after next semester, I'll only have the 90 credits. I know its best to have a bachelor's degree, but I'd like to apply for the Fall 2009 cycle without one. I have yet to take the OAT, but for some reason I don't seem to do too well on standardized tests. That's why I'd like to know the lowest score accepted. Also, can I apply without some of the prereqs taken, if I would have them by the time of attendance? Thanks in advance..

With a GPA like that, you should have little to no trouble with the OAT. It is not that difficult a test. Mostly, you just have to work quickly and efficiently. You can apply in advance without the prerequisites being taken but it's just going to hold up your application. Regarding the degree, you may want to look into the 3/4 program and see if that's a better fit for you.

Sorry that they treated you shabbily. I'm a SUNY graduate and the main reason I went there is because they were a lot NICER than any of the other schools I applied to. I guess things can change in 13 years.

Do they want you to have a bach before you apply? I mean dont most people apply while in undergrad and complete the bach before they enroll or are you talking about not completely the bach and enrolling after only 3 years undergrad? im a little confused, anyone else feel free to respond

Do they want you to have a bach before you apply? I mean dont most people apply while in undergrad and complete the bach before they enroll or are you talking about not completely the bach and enrolling after only 3 years undergrad? im a little confused, anyone else feel free to respond

some optometry schools let you apply with at least 90 credits and no bach. so that's what i'm talking about.. SUNY said that you can be admitted with at least 90 credits but they prefer a bachelor's degree..

is there a chance someone can get admitted to opt school with scores below 300 on the OAT (i.e. 280)?? just wondering..

I was offered a seat from SUNY.
I have a GPA very similar to yours.
For my OAT, I got 290 on the RC...
The other sections made up for it. My TS was 390 and AA 360.