Lower-tier GI fellowship competitiveness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Master Thinker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a 4th-year medical student applying IM this cycle. I know GI programs in general are very competitive but was wondering if "lower-tier" or community GI fellowships are much easier to match? And are there many of these programs? I don't really have strong location preferences.

I will most likely be attending a mid or upper-mid tier IM program. Step scores are good but my main concern is that my research is relatively weak.

Members don't see this ad.

Typically yes. Main thing for you for best chance of success in matching is being the best resident you can be. If there is an in-house GI fellowship at your residency that would be your best bet. Get to know the GI department well, get excellent letters of recommendation. Research is always a plus but really, everyone is gonna have some amount of research so you need to do at least something GI-related there.
I'm a cards fellow so can't comment on the number of programs. Keep an open mind during residency. You may or may not decide GI is for you or worth the extra 3 years of training.

Reactions: 1 users
Typically yes. Main thing for you for best chance of success in matching is being the best resident you can be. If there is an in-house GI fellowship at your residency that would be your best bet. Get to know the GI department well, get excellent letters of recommendation. Research is always a plus but really, everyone is gonna have some amount of research so you need to do at least something GI-related there.
I'm a cards fellow so can't comment on the number of programs. Keep an open mind during residency. You may or may not decide GI is for you or worth the extra 3 years of training.

Thanks for the reply! So there can be a wide difference in competitiveness between “upper” and “lower” tier IM programs in competitive subspecialties such as cards and GI?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! So there can be a wide difference in competitiveness between “upper” and “lower” tier IM programs in competitive subspecialties such as cards and GI?

And yeah I am interested in hospitalist medicine as well so will have no regrets if I decide not to do fellowships.
Moreso that it is easier for the in-house fellowship program director or department to choose their fellows come application season because they will know your work ethic and personality over the span of 3 years which is basically like interviewing there. Be on your best behavior. In terms of competitiveness, I feel it's hard to say because people, especially at an older age, may choose location over reputation due to personal reasons such as being closer to family. So I would apply broadly if GI is something that you want to do for sure, cannot imagine doing anything else and that can only make you happy instead of doing general medicine. The other part of the equation is academic vs community program in terms of what the utility is for you after fellowship. Academic of course has higher reputation because of research and faculty, but it may not be something that you want to do. In the real world, most go into private practice after fellowship and going to a regular community program will get you more than enough clinical experience to be successful and rich (academic pays lower than PP). So do what would make you happy because life is too short.

Reactions: 1 user
Lower tier community GI fellowships are less competitive (you can see by what programs the fellows are coming from), however, those programs tend to be really small, and fellowship will yield protect a lot more closely than IM. So many residents from top places won't get an interview invite at the lesser known community programs, because they know they won't attend and only have so many interview spots to give out.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m currently at a mid-tier/community GI program and we have started our interview process. I would say that your chances of matching at any program, especially the smaller ones, are higher if you are a resident at that program and basically “audition” for the spot for 3 years. Work with the attendings, do research, rotate on GI service and convey interest. You can probably get away with not much research, etc. The problem is that most programs just don’t interview many candidates, hence the competitiveness. My program interviews 18-20 people for 2 spots. For the more academic programs, they usually interview the top tier candidates from other big programs so you need to have a lot of research, high scores, etc.

Hi all, I am a 4th-year medical student applying IM this cycle. I know GI programs in general are very competitive but was wondering if "lower-tier" or community GI fellowships are much easier to match? And are there many of these programs? I don't really have strong location preferences.

I will most likely be attending a mid or upper-mid tier IM program. Step scores are good but my main concern is that my research is relatively weak.

If you are an AMG without any visa issues, and you can match into as mid to low-tier university program (main medical school program with full subspeciality fellowships), you should have a decent chance. Try to perform well and do research in residency.

If you are an AMG without any visa issues, and you can match into as mid to low-tier university program (main medical school program with full subspeciality fellowships), you should have a decent chance. Try to perform well and do research in residency.
Yup! I am AMG. Likely matching mid to upper mid academic IM program based off the interviews I have so far. From reading the comments, it seems like chances are pretty good if I can get some research and convey interest to my local community and less competitive GI programs. 🤞

I don't mean to be rude, but why are you asking this question?
Just attend the best place you can attend for IM, see if GI is your thing and, if so, do research, attend conferences, and get to know mentors.
I get it that you feel anxious about it, but you are 3 years out and now your best bet is to focus on your IM