Lower GPA, High MCAT, Caltech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trauma16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'll be graduating from Caltech this June with a Biology major and English minor. Due to health issues, I had a bit of a rough time (including a D in quantum mechanics) and will be graduating with a 3.5. I recently took the MCAT, and got a 41O (15BS, 14PS, 12 VR). My top two schools right now (due to location, among other things) are UCSF and Columbia (I'm a CA resident).

As for my ECs, I played varsity baseball and water polo, was president of one of the on-campus houses, and have about a year of bio research and a summer of particle physics research. Caltech has a great shadowing program, so I have around 250 hours of shadowing experience.

I was just wondering if you guys had any idea of how competitive I would be at schools like these with the numbers I have (and whether the Caltech name has any effect).

Thanks in advance for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.5 is at the low end of competetive for most schools. Do NOT apply to high end schools like the Ivies or Stanford. I don't have a good handle on the UC system, but I have a hunch Irvine and Davis might be OK; UCSF and UCSD, not. USC might be worth a try.

You should be fine for some of the low-mid tier schools, and you're rock solid at any DO school, including mine, somewhere west of St Louis.

Hey guys,
I'll be graduating from Caltech this June with a Biology major and English minor. Due to health issues, I had a bit of a rough time (including a D in quantum mechanics) and will be graduating with a 3.5. I recently took the MCAT, and got a 41O (15BS, 14PS, 12 VR). My top two schools right now (due to location, among other things) are UCSF and Columbia (I'm a CA resident).

As for my ECs, I played varsity baseball and water polo, was president of one of the on-campus houses, and have about a year of bio research and a summer of particle physics research. Caltech has a great shadowing program, so I have around 250 hours of shadowing experience.

I was just wondering if you guys had any idea of how competitive I would be at schools like these with the numbers I have (and whether the Caltech name has any effect).

Thanks in advance for any input!

Couldn't disagree more with the above poster. Your gpa isn't great, but with that mcat your app should warrant a look by adcoms. The name of the school might not help much/at all, especially at top tier programs, but your involvement there will. I think with a 3.5/41 you should apply to your dream schools, just don't make the mistake of ONLY applying to those schools. Take a look at the msar to see where your gpa falls below their 10th percentile. Only apply to a couple schools where that is the case, and aim for more forgiving schools with the rest of your apps to improve your chances.

Best of luck, and great job on that mcat score. Color me impressed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies! I'll definitely keep them in mind as I apply. Right now, I think it can't hurt to apply to some of my dream schools, but I'll definitely have at least 10 schools on my list that are less of a reach.

Wow yea, Im gonna have to disagree with Goro. I'm pretty sure with a 41 you'll have a good shot at any school.

A 3.5 is at the low end of competetive for most schools. Do NOT apply to high end schools like the Ivies or Stanford. I don't have a good handle on the UC system, but I have a hunch Irvine and Davis might be OK; UCSF and UCSD, not. USC might be worth a try.

You should be fine for some of the low-mid tier schools, and you're rock solid at any DO school, including mine, somewhere west of St Louis.

Are you really gunning in the WAMC section? Fine for some low tier and solid for DO? Uh, more than fine.

You are a top applicant so apply everywhere that is a good fit, I assume you chose UCSF and Colombia because they are. Honestly, UCSF might be a stretch with your GPA - colombia I am not so familiar with. I think the next step is to identify the top 3-5 dream schools that really match with your scientific and personal sides...then add 20 schools for safety...

I disagree.

Your MCAT score more than makes up for your slightly sub par GPA from one of the top UG schools known for grade deflation.

Barring strong EC's, LOR's, and PS, you should have absolutely no problem landing interviews at top tier med schools, which will hopefully lead to an acceptance.

Lololol. Please ignore this. Your MCAT score is in the 99.7th percentile. And your GPA is decent. And you went to a good school.

I would say, apply to a bunch of schools. Sprinkle in top schools, where the median GPA can be >3.9, but focus on schools where the median is around 3.7-3.8. Envision a school trying to boost its numbers; your MCAT has to help more than your GPA hurts.

Oh, and you are a varsity athlete and have had leadership experience. And research, too. So maybe add in some additional top schools because aside from your GPA, you have a great application imho.

I can't imagine the Caltech name not making a difference. It's probably one of the toughest schools in America, and I can't imagine adcoms not taking that into account. Yes, that's a low GPA, but you've got the profile of an exceptional applicant.