Low Undergraduate Research Productivity for MD/PhD Admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catalyst25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a new member to SDN. Just graduated from college this spring with an excellent GPA (3.9+) and four years of research experience, and have my heart set on MD/PhD. However, I am very worried because during my four years in the same lab, I was not able to accomplish much and basically have no meaningful results from my project. Not only was my project very challenging, but my field of research was slow-moving and my lab didn't publish a lot. Am I doomed for MD/PhD or do I still have a chance? I'm taking time off to get some more research experience (in a different field) but am still worried about my old record. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You are far from doomed. It is outstanding to have publications, but what matters to MD/PhD programs is whether you have what it takes to become a member of the profession. You should not be worry about the productivity of your old lab. Hopefully, you are able to do a research presentation (poster, abstract) out of your ongoing activities. Congrats on your GPA, now you need to ace your MCAT.

PM me if you have specific questions...