Low UGPA, High Post-Bacc GPA/MCAT - School List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDDO112

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m a 28 year old DIY post-bacc student in California finishing up my last few classes for transcript repair, and getting ready to apply in the 2019 cycle.

Background: I graduated from UCLA with a Physics/Math double major with a low 2.5 GPA (total ~90 units that count towards GPA; rest were P/NPs). Failed a few classes (one F, 2-3 NP’s, don’t remember exact #). After an engineering internship/building projects on my own, I decided I did not want to go into this line of work at all.

Post graduation, I decided I wanted to “test myself” in medical/clinical fields. Got my EMT cert, worked as an EMT for about a year while shadowing doctors and volunteering broadly. I loved every minute of it, and decided to do a DIY post-bacc in premed work.

I took my prerequisites at a Cal State (~1 year), took a biochem/other upper bio/chem/psych classes at UCLA extension (1 year), and took about 6 upper div bio classes at UC Berkeley Extension (1 year), for a total of 80-90 units over 3 years. I volunteered/continued to work as EMT part-time during my post-bacc. I got a 4.0 in my post-bacc work.

Personal Statement: Won’t go into much detail, but the gist of it is talking about how my undergrad work was a necessary failure in learning what wasn’t right for me, growing in self-confidence, overcoming it, and finding my passion for medical work the year after I graduated through EMT work/volunteering.

LoR: Average to above average I think. Can’t really say.

Stats:

2.5 UG cGPA, 2.6 UG sGPA (all math/physics classes).

4.0 Post Bacc cGPA/sGPA (all prereq/bio/chem/psych classes).

Combined:

3.2 cGPA, 3.44 sGPA.

520 MCAT.

EC’s:

~2000-3000 hours of EMT work.

~ 1000+ hours of clinical and nonclinical volunteering. Examples include hospitals, immigration centers, and teaching kids math/programming at low income neighborhoods.

No research experience.

I did develop a Python tool for medical programming. Not sure if this means anything.

Given this, what kind of schools should I be aiming at? Do I have realistic, competitive chances at any MDs?

Also, I’m guessing NPs (No Pass) are not included in your AMCAS GPA, right? Because if they are, my GPA seriously tanks even from what I have now.

Thank you for your time.

I also posted this thread in Nontrad Students. If duplicates are not allowed, I'll quickly delete one of them.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the official AMCAS Guide to computing GPAs:
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...da78e/2018_amcas_applicant_guide_web-tags.pdf

Page 4 has the following language:
• Most courses with the AMCAS Course Type listed below are not included in AMCAS GPA calculations. Instead, the total hours for each of these categories are reported to medical schools under the heading Supplemental Hours. ° Pass/Fail–Pass ° Pass/Fail–Fail ° Advanced Placement (AP) Credit ° College Level Examination Program (CLEP) ° Other Test Credit •

Any courses with the following Course Type on your official transcript have no value or weight in your AMCAS GPA: Symbol Meaning AU Audited courses CC Courses that you are currently taking or that you expect to take DG Multiterm courses (incomplete series) EX Exempt courses NR Courses for which there is no recorded grade because of school error W Courses from which you have officially withdrawn or have dropped

I *think* your NP would fall under Pass/Fail-Fail and thus not be counted in your AMCAS GPA.

However, I've not actually experienced how AMCAS would translate such a grade.

I think you're competitive for a wide range of MDs. I would avoid top tier schools that don't reward reinvention/lower gpa percentiles on MSAR but definitely throw in places like Columbia, Duke, Mayo (both campuses), Pitt, etc. Apply to all UCs and then pick some targeted mid/lower tier schools. You should probably post this on WAMC. @Goro gave me a pretty solid school list. I have gotten a couple of interviews this cycle and I have a similar story (low gpa/High MCAT + gap years).

Members don't see this ad :)
As an older successful mature student you can look at your application as 3.6 GPA for school targets. @Goro can provide list that he frequently recommends

PS I am not sure your PS is proper approach

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the duplicate post.

Why do you think my PS isn't a proper approach? Would love some general feedback so I know what to avoid/how to craft my narrative. Is it too generic?

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the duplicate post.

Why do you think my PS isn't a proper approach? Would love some general feedback so I know what to avoid/how to craft my narrative. Is it too generic?
The PS is for "Who am I"? and "Why Medicine?" It is not for drawing attention to black marks and red flags, nor for explaining past mistakes. Save explanations for secondaries.