School list (high GPA/low MCAT) + gap year ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuronNinja24

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice. I think I will retake MCAT this August and apply next cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would not apply this cycle with such a low MCAT, especially since it seems like you clearly understand what went wrong with that score and have a good chance of raising it with more studying. Obviously some people get in with low MCATs, but you're putting yourself at a significant disadvantage. Applying is incredibly time consuming, expensive, and being a reapplicant can hurt your chances, so you really want to minimize your risk of having to apply a second cycle. You have a strong GPA and ECs, so would have good odds if you improve your mcat.
1677014352466.png

Your chances of acceptance now would be 34%. You can decide whether thats a risk to take.

Taking a gap year is beneficial beyond just improving your MCAT- it helps you build stronger ECs and mature as an adult before applying. You could look for post-bac research positions at school's you're interested in, or apply to a program like the NIH, I think location and financials would honestly be the most important aspects when deciding between the two.

Reactions: 1 users
That MCAT score is lethal for MD, and even problematic at some DO schools. As for these schools:

Meharry Medical College, Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine, Mercer University School of Medicine, Kaiser Medical School

One is an HBC. With 1500 hours of research experience, I'd expect you to at least go and look at their website and their mission.
Marshall and Mercer are very IS specific.
Kaiser? With free tuition, you'll just get crowded out by tons of CA natives who have higher MCATs. The last time they posted their MCAT scores I think the median was ~516

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You are not competitive for MD schools with your stats. You do not need a SMP. It is your MCAT of 501 that is the problem. You could receive interviews at DO schools and I suggest these:
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM

Look at it positively, your MCAT is likely the one thing that you can improve to change your luck. An SMP is not necessary with your 3.8. AmeriCorps is a help to your application.

You can go for DO, as pointed earlier.

A 10 point improvement gets you into a decent chance for admission. The higher the better.

Unless there is a significant mission fit, your chances aren't great. More AmeriCorps with a better MCAT will boost your applicarion's attractiveness.