Low Science GPA: Overcoming your dumb 18yr old choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkpod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a nontraditional student who bombed my first year of college, pursued a double major in film and anthropology, and decided to pursue a career in podiatry after falling in love with human biology my senior year and shadowing a few podiatrists. I am now doing some post-bacc work to complete the rest of my prerequisites.

Anyway, I want to know how hard it's going to be to get in with my current science GPA. At the end of this semester I'm anticipating between a 2.83-2.86 which is what I'll be applying with. I got a C- in gen chem 1 (which I halfheartedly retook for a C+ before deciding on my career path) and a C- in calculus my first semester of freshman year. Both are really bringing down my science GPA. I have a handful of anthro classes that count as science classes (forensic, archaeology, and biological) that I got at/above a B in.

My recent coursework has been pretty respectable. A- in Gen Chem II. And on track for an A in Bio I, A- in physics lab, A/A- in Physics I, B+ in Ochem I. I'm really hoping my ****ty science GPA doesn't completely overshadow how well I've been doing in my recent science courses. My cumulative GPA is currently a 3.3, which will go up some before I apply. I also will have about 70hrs ER volunteering and 50ish hours of shadowing between two different podiatrists. And shockingly I got invited to the DMU summer preview this summer, so I know I'm on their radar.

My premed advisor thinks I can get what I need on the MCAT if I take it end of January. I self taught a lot of biochem and biological systems this summer and I've taken enough psych/soc. So I'm on track to do ok on the MCAT as long as I study full time over winter break. But I plan to apply end of Feb with my disgusting science GPA. So 2.8ish sGPA at time of application, probably around a 3.0 by the time I enroll.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation where you want to kick your stupid freshman self for being an idiot? Has anyone gotten into pod school under similar circumstances despite your stupid freshman self?

Thanks in advance!
Sarah

Members don't see this ad.

My freshman year I got a 2.83 GPA.... So dumb, but I worked my tail off my last three years and I'm currently a senior with a 3.51 cgpa and a 3.56 sgpa that will go up even more after this semester. I have already interviewed at DMU and azpod and am just waiting to hear back so its doable!

Hi everyone,

I'm a nontraditional student who bombed my first year of college, pursued a double major in film and anthropology, and decided to pursue a career in podiatry after falling in love with human biology my senior year and shadowing a few podiatrists. I am now doing some post-bacc work to complete the rest of my prerequisites.

Anyway, I want to know how hard it's going to be to get in with my current science GPA. At the end of this semester I'm anticipating between a 2.83-2.86 which is what I'll be applying with. I got a C- in gen chem 1 (which I halfheartedly retook for a C+ before deciding on my career path) and a C- in calculus my first semester of freshman year. Both are really bringing down my science GPA. I have a handful of anthro classes that count as science classes (forensic, archaeology, and biological) that I got at/above a B in.

My recent coursework has been pretty respectable. A- in Gen Chem II. And on track for an A in Bio I, A- in physics lab, A/A- in Physics I, B+ in Ochem I. I'm really hoping my ****ty science GPA doesn't completely overshadow how well I've been doing in my recent science courses. My cumulative GPA is currently a 3.3, which will go up some before I apply. I also will have about 70hrs ER volunteering and 50ish hours of shadowing between two different podiatrists. And shockingly I got invited to the DMU summer preview this summer, so I know I'm on their radar.

My premed advisor thinks I can get what I need on the MCAT if I take it end of January. I self taught a lot of biochem and biological systems this summer and I've taken enough psych/soc. So I'm on track to do ok on the MCAT as long as I study full time over winter break. But I plan to apply end of Feb with my disgusting science GPA. So 2.8ish sGPA at time of application, probably around a 3.0 by the time I enroll.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation where you want to kick your stupid freshman self for being an idiot? Has anyone gotten into pod school under similar circumstances despite your stupid freshman self?

Thanks in advance!
Sarah

My freshman year I got a 2.83 GPA.... So dumb, but I worked my tail off my last three years and I'm currently a senior with a 3.51 cgpa and a 3.56 sgpa that will go up even more after this semester. I have already interviewed at DMU and azpod and am just waiting to hear back so its doable!
I was in a similar situation and ended up with stats similar to Podman. Did really poorly second semester freshman year. Put in the work and brought everything up pretty substantially especially during my senior year, and took some more advanced courses to kind of "make up" for my poor showing in the more basic courses. So at least with regards to bringing up the science GPA, it's totally doable and schools WILL notice the improvement.

Off of your post, it seems like you're going to be applying this cycle with a 3.3cGPA and 2.9ish sGPA? If that's the case (and this is just my opinion) you would have to absolutely destroy your MCAT to get into DMU that late in the cycle...and even then, it may not be enough because of a lack of seats. Just my opinion, but if you're set on DMU I'd think about applying early next cycle and devoting more time to study for the MCAT. Your sGPA would be higher if you do well in your last semester, and you'd have more wiggle room with your MCAT score.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how helpful this is but I flunked a post-baccalaureate semester of classes for medical reasons which brought both of my GPAs down to a 2.9. I studied a lot for the MCAT and got a 32. I'm about to finish my first semester at NYCPM. I say go for it, apply early and to many schools. You'll look better for having an upward trend. If you don't get in you can always do some masters work then reapply.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone! I managed to get a 4.0 this quarter (in bio, ochem, and physics) so I'm close to a 3.0 sGPA and now have a 3.35 cGPA. I'm taking the MCAT next week and applying. If I don't get in this cycle it's totally not the end of the world but I'm hoping they see my upward trend and at least consider me.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. To echo the sentiments of other posters, it is worth a shot. As long as you are showing progressively improved exam scores, augers well in consideration by selection boards for a place pretty much anywhere. Ultimately, if you do not pass your MCAT, then you can certainly take it again .

I took a full length AAMC practice test today and scored a 504, so I'm hoping that's at least a little bit indicative of how I'll do on the real thing.

Get your application in as soon as possible even if you have not taken the MCAT as it will take quite a while this time of year to process your transcripts. I think that if you can write a good essay, you have a strong shot at a few of the schools (possibly Temple, Scholl and Kent). DMU might be kind of tricky as they have a smaller class size and therefore are a little more competitive. I can't guarantee anything and do not know anything about other schools, but for those three schools I think that you should go for it. If you have any questions about any of the schools, ask them and people here are pretty good at answering them.

Thanks so much! You all are making me feel a lot better actually. I just submitted my application without my MCAT to 5 of the schools (2 of the ones you mentioned) and my AACPMAS science gpa ended up being higher than I had anticipated (3.06 instead of 2.91) so things are looking a little better. Also I feel pretty confident in my essays as most of my undergraduate work was focused on writing.
Thanks again :)

Update: for those of you who haven't seen in another thread, I was accepted to DMU! I also received interviews to all of the schools I applied to. Glad I tried :)

Update: for those of you who haven't seen in another thread, I was accepted to DMU! I also received interviews to all of the schools I applied to. Glad I tried :)
Congrats, Sarah! What did you end up getting on your MCAT?
And I'm inspired by your story. Good luck at DMU in the fall

Thanks so much! I did painfully average. 499. Lower than my practice test for sure. But honestly considering I took it with only one quarter of ochem, physics, and bio I'm pretty happy. It worked out!

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks so much! I did painfully average. 499. Lower than my practice test for sure. But honestly considering I took it with only one quarter of ochem, physics, and bio I'm pretty happy. It worked out!

Nothing to be ashamed of. I scored 504 on my practice exams and ended up with a 493.... and I was a science major. You did really good for the position you were in. Congrats on your acceptance. Your hard work paid off.