Low research productivity for T20s?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notanorthobro

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m an upcoming applicant for the 2023-24 cycle. I think I have a good application, but my low research productivity scares me. I’m an international student, and most schools that accept internationals really value research. I have the stats to apply (3.97/522) and I’m URM (even though no one knows what’s gonna happen with the supreme court this summer). However, despite having almost 3 years of research, all I have to show for it is a grant. I’m currently writing a paper in which I’ll be first author, but it won’t be published before May. My application is very service heavy, as service is a vital part of my identity (immigrant, low-SES, FAP), but knowing how much T20s value research scares me going into the cycle. While I don’t have 1 school in mind, I think Harvard and Yale offer need-based help even for international students. So, basically, do I have a chance at those places even with low research productivity? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Publications matter for residency, but having ANY productivity (including a grant) is going to make you stand out positively.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,

I’m an upcoming applicant for the 2023-24 cycle. I think I have a good application, but my low research productivity scares me. I’m an international student, and most schools that accept internationals really value research. I have the stats to apply (3.97/522) and I’m URM (even though no one knows what’s gonna happen with the supreme court this summer). However, despite having almost 3 years of research, all I have to show for it is a grant. I’m currently writing a paper in which I’ll be first author, but it won’t be published before May. My application is very service heavy, as service is a vital part of my identity (immigrant, low-SES, FAP), but knowing how much T20s value research scares me going into the cycle. While I don’t have 1 school in mind, I think Harvard and Yale offer need-based help even for international students. So, basically, do I have a chance at those places even with low research productivity? Thanks!
And what is the reason why you're not going for a Ph.D. or MD/PhD until your citizenship status becomes more favorable? Getting a research grant will help your application for Ph.D. programs. Your metrics will grab a lot of attention among the Ph.D. committees. Check the "Research Scientists" forum if you want an assessment from MD/PhD directors.

Members don't see this ad :)
And what is the reason why you're not going for a Ph.D. or MD/PhD until your citizenship status becomes more favorable? Getting a research grant will help your application for Ph.D. programs. Your metrics will grab a lot of attention among the Ph.D. committees. Check the "Research Scientists" forum if you want an assessment from MD/PhD directors.
Thanks for the reply! While I enjoyed my research, I want to become a physician to serve in the clinical care of communities like my own. I’m not really interested in pursuing a Ph.D. I hope to get into a medical school that accepts international students until I gain permanent residency.

Thanks for the reply! While I enjoyed my research, I want to become a physician to serve in the clinical care of communities like my own. I’m not really interested in pursuing a Ph.D. I hope to get into a medical school that accepts international students until I gain permanent residency.
Okay. Then please complete a WAMC template so we can make a proper assessment. Mission fit would also be helpful.

Okay. Then please complete a WAMC template so we can make a proper assessment. Mission fit would also be helpful.
I did complete one previously! I received great advice. I just wanted to point out what I thought was a weakness in my application in the eyes of T20s and see how much it could potentially affect me.

I see. I didn't see a problem with your research hours; "productivity" doesn't matter as much as you think. What do you think are your most valued experiences that a T20 medical school would want to fulfill its mission? I thought you were leveraging your non-profit community service and background in a Latin American country. With 1500 hours of research, you at least show you can navigate that part of an academic culture, especially at a T20.

I see. I didn't see a problem with your research hours; "productivity" doesn't matter as much as you think. What do you think are your most valued experiences that a T20 medical school would want to fulfill its mission? I thought you were leveraging your non-profit community service and background in a Latin American country. With 1500 hours of research, you at least show you can navigate that part of an academic culture, especially at a T20.
Thank you for the reply! Yes, my service work is definitely the most important part of my application. I just wanted to make sure my research wouldn’t hold me back. Thank you for your guidance!

Hi everyone,

Publications are not expected for medical school admissions but quality of research and LORs from PI make a difference. For reference, my son did first author research for 3 years (at the time of the application) but couldn’t complete the paper due to Covid and some other delays. He only applied to T20s and couple of state schools and had very good cycle. His PI gave very strong LOR.

Reactions: 1 user