low GRE score I am worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hipnotic88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know schools reccommend a GRE score of a 1000. This is already my second time and I have been studying like crazy each time to take that exam, but I still can not get above a 1000. I feel so stupid, but I am also worried that I will not get into grad school since they require a 1000. But other than that my GPA is a 3.68, volunteered for 200 hrs., and going to graduate this fall. Should I worry or is it just something colleges look to see that you have taken. I scored a 850 overall on my GRE. Help advise please. I am nervous of not getting in due to my low GRE score.

Members don't see this ad.

You say you have studied - but what did you do? Have you considered taking a prep class? I was nervous about my GRE because I took it 10 years after I completed my undergrad, so I did the online Princeton review. It was awesome! A little pricey - I think $400 when I did it 2 years ago, but worth every penny. It doesn't just teach you the material on the test, but how to successfully take the test.

I took my GRE twice and was not able to get over a 1000. I still was accepted into my first choice school. I think it all depends on the school you are applying to. I know others that did not make over 1000 and went to PT school as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
some people are just bad test takers....not everyone does well on standardized tests. If the rest of your app is strong, don't worry about it too much.

But if a school says they require a 1000 and if you do not make it won't they just reject you without looking any further such as GPA, volunteer hours, and letter of recommendations. I want to go to azusa pacific, chapman, western, or loma linda. These schools are in so. cal and all of them except for western require a GRE of a 1000 but I have met all the other requirements. Do any of you guys have any experience with low GRE scores and still getting in.

If I were you, I would focus on the schools that do not require a specific score.

Most schools have these benchmarks because they believe they will get students who will most likely succeed in the program. It's not an exact science for sure, but the averages are probably pretty good that students who meet the requirements will succeed.

I wouldn't worry. It is what it is. For schools that require a certain score, you will probably get turned down. Not because you don't have the abiolity to one day make a great therapist, but because the school will likely have more than enough applicants that have met the requirements.

Check out all the schools and see which ones don't require a certain score, heck there are even some that do not require the GRE.

Good luck!

Undergard: Missouri University
Major: Health Science
Overall G.P.A.: 3.77, Magna Cum Laude
Pre-req G.P.A.: 3.64
GRE: 830

Extra Curric: Mentoring Junior High students, Clean Stream, Decca, Phi Theta Capa, Tau Sigma, Health Professions Quality Committee, Phi Epsilon Kappa

Volunteer: Dance Marathon Committee Chair, Wheel Chair relay, Pediatric Hospital volunteer

Observation: Out patient, Nursing Home, Pediatric hospital

Applied: MSU, SBU, MU

Rejected: MSU

Waitlisted: MU

Accepted: MU

Waiting to hear: SBU

Going to MU. Even someone without great GRE can get accepted!!!!!

Here are my stats. I didn't apply to the highly ranked schools but I did get into my first choice after being waitlisted because of the GRE ((I freak out during timed test). I took the GRE late and didn't realize I would need to be very strong in the other areas to compensate for it. Work really hard this last semester and keep your GPA up. Try volunteering in a PT setting. I volunteered at a Pediatric Hospital. Search for schools in PTCAS that don't have a minimum score. Try finding a school that doesn't use PTCAS so maybe the applicant pool is smaller. Contact the PT advisors at the school where you are planning to apply and discuss your situation and ask them what they recommend. Hang in there. There is room in the program for people who don't do well on those standardized test!

I'm also worried b/c I just took my GRE and it's low. Is it better to retake it? Will the PT schools look at both scores. Does anyone know?

Another question: my PTCAS application is almost done. Should I wait to take the 2nd GRE and then submit my application with the new score OR should I go ahead and submit it with the current score? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

I am also worried because I have low stats.

GPA: 3.1 Biological Sciences Degree (haven't submitted PTCAS yet so I don't know my prereq GPA but I think its like 2.8)
GRE: Quantitative 580 and Verbal 350

I am retaking the GREs this week but I am afraid of my verbal score again because I am studying my vocab and doing practice problems but I still perform poorly. I think the people above would have a better chance than me because you guys have a better GPA than I do so I am really afraid of not even getting into one school because of my low GRE scores and my low GPA

I am also worried because I have low stats.

GPA: 3.1 Biological Sciences Degree (haven't submitted PTCAS yet so I don't know my prereq GPA but I think its like 2.8)
GRE: Quantitative 580 and Verbal 350

I am retaking the GREs this week but I am afraid of my verbal score again because I am studying my vocab and doing practice problems but I still perform poorly. I think the people above would have a better chance than me because you guys have a better GPA than I do so I am really afraid of not even getting into one school because of my low GRE scores and my low GPA

I have very similar stats as you - I have a 3.3 overall and about a 2.9 prereq, I believe - My overall GRE score is the same as yours - I'm currently taking a class for the GRE and am retaking it in a few weeks

This is my second time applying to PT schools; however, last year I applied really late (submitted PTCAS in Jan) and to out-of-state schools that only took 3-4 out of state students.

What I do have going for me is I went to a good, well-known, school and I have around 300 volunteer hours (geriatrics, pediatrics, orthopedics, lymphedema/wound care). I'm also currently interviewing for PT/rehab aide positions.

When I applied last year I had about 100 hours and my overall GPA was a 3.2. I've since completed a 240 hour internship.

Make sure you apply early. I'm hoping rolling admissions will help me this time around, and apply to schools that are familiar with your undergraduate program.

Since this is my second time applying, I'm also applying to accelerated nursing programs as backups (although I don't think they are easy to get into either) - if you really don't want to take a year off, maybe consider other types of programs as a second option. I've talked to some students who have said taking a year off ended up being the best thing they ever did; although so far I can't say the same, I'm hoping I eventually agree.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to give some tips - basically apply early!

I have very similar stats as you - I have a 3.3 overall and about a 2.9 prereq, I believe - My overall GRE score is the same as yours - I'm currently taking a class for the GRE and am retaking it in a few weeks

This is my second time applying to PT schools; however, last year I applied really late (submitted PTCAS in Jan) and to out-of-state schools that only took 3-4 out of state students.

What I do have going for me is I went to a good, well-known, school and I have around 300 volunteer hours (geriatrics, pediatrics, orthopedics, lymphedema/wound care). I'm also currently interviewing for PT/rehab aide positions.

When I applied last year I had about 100 hours and my overall GPA was a 3.2. I've since completed a 240 hour internship.

Make sure you apply early. I'm hoping rolling admissions will help me this time around, and apply to schools that are familiar with your undergraduate program.

Since this is my second time applying, I'm also applying to accelerated nursing programs as backups (although I don't think they are easy to get into either) - if you really don't want to take a year off, maybe consider other types of programs as a second option. I've talked to some students who have said taking a year off ended up being the best thing they ever did; although so far I can't say the same, I'm hoping I eventually agree.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to give some tips - basically apply early!

I was wondering if taking the GRE maybe for the 3rd time maybe 3 weeks later would be too much? I heard some schools either average the scores out or pick the highest from each section or they just don't like us taking the GRE that mant times? GRE is my biggest fear even though my GPA is low sadly.

Technically I am taking a year off right now because I just graduated this past june. I plan to turn in my application in the middle of oct since I finished my personal statement; just need to finish my supplemental essays for 3 schools and some editing. I just need anatomy prereq but I pretty much have all the other prereqs down. Most of the schools I'm applying to do not have a rolling admissions except for maybe like 2 schools but I figured to just turn in the application early to finish/get it out of my way and add in my volunteer hours and classes I'm taking later.

I have 250+ hours ortho and physical therapy in sports medicine program I was in for a year and I am currently volunteering in PT at a hospital 6 hrs a week (just started this week and planning to volunteer weekly till Spring). I am also taking classes at a community college (Speech and Exercise Physio) hopefully that would boost my GPA a little.

If you are truly passionate about the field, some school would be lucky to have you as a student.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if taking the GRE maybe for the 3rd time maybe 3 weeks later would be too much? I heard some schools either average the scores out or pick the highest from each section or they just don't like us taking the GRE that many times? GRE is my biggest fear even though my GPA is low sadly.

Technically I am taking a year off right now because I just graduated this past june. I plan to turn in my application in the middle of Oct since I finished my personal statement; just need to finish my supplemental essays for 3 schools and some editing. I just need anatomy prereq but I pretty much have all the other prereqs down. Most of the schools I'm applying to do not have a rolling admissions except for maybe like 2 schools but I figured to just turn in the application early to finish/get it out of my way and add in my volunteer hours and classes I'm taking later.

I have 250+ hours ortho and physical therapy in sports medicine program I was in for a year and I am currently volunteering in PT at a hospital 6 hrs a week (just started this week and planning to volunteer weekly till Spring). I am also taking classes at a community college (Speech and Exercise Physio) hopefully that would boost my GPA a little.

I don't think I mentioned, this will be my 3rd time taking the GRE. I took it at the end of august last year and then again at the end of November - and it didn't change much. If you don't think you are ready, I would postpone your testdate, rather than taking it again so soon (I think it costs 50 bucks or something, but thats cheaper than taking the test again) I'm not sure if these classes help, but kaplan does have a 2 day reresher course for students to take right before they take the test - I hate giving these people money, but I'm desperate haha

I'm not sure what schools look at as far as scores go, I'd assume it depends on the school - if you are going to take it a 3rd time, maybe contact the schools and ask how they look at multiple sets of scores

I'm taking it a 3rd time because it would allow me to apply to a lot more schools and I think it would help show my determination
Also, I met with a professor at one of the pittsburgh schools a few weeks ago (she was my boyfriend's family friend, who offered to help me) and she told me that with that school specifically, and she would assume a lot of others are similar, the "numbers" get you through the first round - GRE and GPAs(science & overall) - its after they pick the students with the qualifying numbers that they look at observation hours, rec letters, and everything else - I'm sure all schools are different though
I've been told pittsburgh schools are all about the numbers anyways, even before I met with her

your hours are good, and taking classes should help you - I think you are doing everything you can - hopefully the schools see that and it pays off

Good Luck!

I just came back from taking the GREs and I am pretty depressed because I did worse than my first try. I should have cancelled it when I had the chance...I really do not like the GREs because it makes me feel really stupid when I know that it does not test us on our knowledge, rather they test us on how to take tests and i feel like its more of luck usually (apparently I don't have much of that nowadays)

First Time:
Verbal- 350
Quantitative- 580
Analytical- 4.5

Second Time:
Verbal- 380
Quantitative- 490
Analytical- ??

I thought I was going to perform better but I had problems with managing my time during the test well this time. I'm going to take it a 3rd time probably a month from now give myself more time to reflect/practice/study more. I'm scared that the schools are going to look negatively on my GRE scores because I did worse on my second test overall compared to the first one? I was wondering how bad it is that I did worse on my second test and that I'm planning to take it the 3rd and final time?

The only reason I took the GREs so soon again is because there's one school that I'm applying to (Samuel Merritt) where the application is due in a little over 2 weeks and they wanted GRE scores in by then. The other schools I'm applying to have a later deadline which gives me a chance to study and take the GREs one more time.

I just came back from taking the GREs and I am pretty depressed because I did worse than my first try. I should have cancelled it when I had the chance...I really do not like the GREs because it makes me feel really stupid when I know that it does not test us on our knowledge, rather they test us on how to take tests and i feel like its more of luck usually (apparently I don't have much of that nowadays)

First Time:
Verbal- 350
Quantitative- 580
Analytical- 4.5

Second Time:
Verbal- 380
Quantitative- 490
Analytical- ??

I thought I was going to perform better but I had problems with managing my time during the test well this time. I'm going to take it a 3rd time probably a month from now give myself more time to reflect/practice/study more. I'm scared that the schools are going to look negatively on my GRE scores because I did worse on my second test overall compared to the first one? I was wondering how bad it is that I did worse on my second test and that I'm planning to take it the 3rd and final time?

The only reason I took the GREs so soon again is because there's one school that I'm applying to (Samuel Merritt) where the application is due in a little over 2 weeks and they wanted GRE scores in by then. The other schools I'm applying to have a later deadline which gives me a chance to study and take the GREs one more time.

ugh- sorry to here that. Again, I have a similar situation

I took the GRE for the first time in August of 09 - got a 930, took it again in November. I don't know what I was thinking, I barely studied the second time around since the semester had started up again. I did 10 points worse on each section. I had given up, until recently, my parents suggested taking a class and trying one more time- so that's what I'm doing now.

I'm not sure I would suggest taking it again unless you feel you can do better -but if you are getting higher scores on the practice tests go for it.

I also have no idea how schools are going to look at the three scores/doing worse the second time - but I figure having a good third score is better than just having the two low scores.

I would keep on trying and get those GRE scores close to or over 1000. I know of a few people that got in, but their scores were closer, like > 950. The rest of your stats looks great, but you need that score if you want to get into the schools you just listed.

I applied to all those schools last year and go into all except APU. They claimed they lost some of my application material, but I didn't care since they were my backup. All schools you mentioned are private, so they might be more understanding, but it is getting more and more competitive every year. I was lucky enough to do good on the GRE first time around. I was still still extremely nervous about it and did really bad on SATs back in high school, but I guess I have learned a lot during college. Just keep on trying and should be okay. Good luck!

Yeah, I know my GRE score is my only downfall as of right now. I am just worried that I did not get over a 1000 that they will not even look at the other areas of my application. I am really nervous. thanks for the replies and if anyone else has or knows anyone that had gotten into one of those schools with similar numbers as mines please post.

First of all, THANKS for the support/suggestions everyone! :]

I talked to my family about my scores and such (thank god they didn't yell at me) and I decide to take GRE prep course with Kaplan (9 sessions) even though its super pricey ($999) and retaking the GREs after the course on nov 11. I feel pretty bad for my parents since I have to ask for them to pay for everything I feel like a teenager again lol. Hopefully the course and studying will help me retake this dumb test for the last time...like they say, third time's the charm (hopefully- crossing my fingers)

Hopefully they won't judge me just on my GPA and GREs too much and give me a chance.

Good luck to everyone in the same boat as me! :]

First of all, THANKS for the support/suggestions everyone! :]

I talked to my family about my scores and such (thank god they didn't yell at me) and I decide to take GRE prep course with Kaplan (9 sessions) even though its super pricey ($999) and retaking the GREs after the course on nov 11. I feel pretty bad for my parents since I have to ask for them to pay for everything I feel like a teenager again lol. Hopefully the course and studying will help me retake this dumb test for the last time...like they say, third time's the charm (hopefully- crossing my fingers)

Hopefully they won't judge me just on my GPA and GREs too much and give me a chance.

Good luck to everyone in the same boat as me! :]

The good thing about classes is that if you don't do better you get your money back, which I'm sure you know. I had no intention on taking a class, but my dad was persistent - and agreed to pay for it, because I certainly couldn't

FYI: If they charge you 30.00 for shipping to send you any materials, email them and ask about it - I did and the lady waived the fee for me immediately. It's defiantly a scam, she told me they assume you want to receive your materials within 2 days so they upcharge you, but not to worry because I'd still get them in 2 days anyways (and I did). I hope it's not too late for you if they did charge you.

Also, the online classes are the same exact course as the lecture classes - if you want to save your parents some money. I'm doing the one completely on my own, but there is an online one where you have to be online at certain times and a teacher is live (sorry if you know all this already) but the online ones are significantly cheaper

either way, Good Luck- I'll let you know how I do after I finish my class and test. Hopefully the third time is a charm, because the third time is the last time I'm taking this thing! haha

I am also very curious to know any success stories of those with lower GRE scores. GRE scores are the only thing holding me back right now I believe. My GRE scores were V-400 Q-600 AW-3.5 But I do have a 3.95 GPA cumulative and pre-req the same from an excellent school... never even had a B in any class all three years this far.. I am looking to get into school such as Northwestern, Washington University or University of Pittsburgh. Does anyone know if this is possible with such low GREs but otherwise perfect resume??

Yeah, I know my GRE score is my only downfall as of right now. I am just worried that I did not get over a 1000 that they will not even look at the other areas of my application. I am really nervous. thanks for the replies and if anyone else has or knows anyone that had gotten into one of those schools with similar numbers as mines please post.

But I do have a 3.95 GPA cumulative and pre-req the same from an excellent school... never even had a B in any class all three years this far.
Your GPA should off set it. What was your major? And what school?

Cumulative GPA - 2.9
Science GPA - 3.2
Pre-Req GPA - 3.35

GRE - 1040

150 volunteer hours in PT

I am having TONS of trouble even finding a place that will interview me.

Trust me, the GPA is what matters. My cousin's g/f had a 3.5 Overall and a 3.5 science GPA and she got in several places with only a 940 GRE score.

I, on the other hand, have a much larger problem. I am thinking i need to score roughly a 1200-1400 on the GRE to offset 1/10 of a point on my overall GPA. It's crazy, but thats what I get for not focusing on my school work as an undergrad. Now I am stuck banging down admissions peoples doors begging for an interview and taking classes at a community college to try and up my GPA (it was a 2.77 when i graduated, Ive bumped it up to about a 2.89 now).

Trust me, if you have a good GPA you dont need to worry about a GRE score.

Cumulative GPA - 2.9
Science GPA - 3.2
Pre-Req GPA - 3.35

GRE - 1040

Trust me, the GPA is what matters. My cousin's g/f had a 3.5 Overall and a 3.5 science GPA and she got in several places with only a 940 GRE score.

I, on the other hand, have a much larger problem. I am thinking i need to score roughly a 1200-1400 on the GRE to offset 1/10 of a point on my overall GPA. It's crazy, but thats what I get for not focusing on my school work as an undergrad. Now I am stuck banging down admissions peoples doors begging for an interview and taking classes at a community college to try and up my GPA (it was a 2.77 when i graduated, Ive bumped it up to about a 2.89 now).

Trust me, if you have a good GPA you dont need to worry about a GRE score.

Sorry to hear about your troubles...but just in curiosity, where are you located? I'm sure you will definitely find something. i just it takes time...

Cumulative GPA - 2.9
Science GPA - 3.2
Pre-Req GPA - 3.35

GRE - 1040

Don't give up. I was in a similar situation. Get that overall at a flat 3.0 and apply early and broadly. By early I mean July when PTCAS opens. And you will surely get accepted. Part of the plan is to apply to places that you know you have a shot at and forget the ones that you dont have a shot at. I wouldn't apply to Harvard when I have a 3.0. The two programs I was accepted at so far didn't even interview me. I have a 3.02 now, when I graduated it was a 2.97. I have 3 interview offers as well and will be attending all three.

Ok so I need some honest opinions with my chances of getting into P/T school
Overall GPA 3.46
Pre-requiste GPA 3.35
GRE V-400/M-690/4.0 - took it three time and did the same

I was thinking of taking the GRE a fourth time and getting a private tutor from Princeton Review. I'm just not sure if it's too late or if I should wasted the $1500.

Ok so I need some honest opinions with my chances of getting into P/T school
Overall GPA 3.46
Pre-requiste GPA 3.35
GRE V-400/M-690/4.0 - took it three time and did the same

I was thinking of taking the GRE a fourth time and getting a private tutor from Princeton Review. I'm just not sure if it's too late or if I should wasted the $1500.
You are fine. The question should be "what are my chances of getting into such and such program" not just pt school itself. I have a 3.02CGPA, 3.0 science & math GPA and 1150 GRE. If I can get in anyone can. It's just I got into a program not that many people apply to. So your chances of getting in are very good. It now all depends where you are trying to go.

So updating from my previous post awhile back I took the GREs the 3rd time this week after my Kaplan course this week and I got:

Third Time:
Verbal- 430 (1st: 350, 2nd: 380)
Quantitative- 660 (1st: 580, 2nd: 490)
Analytical- ?? (prob 4 or 4.5 again)

My other stats:
Pre-req GPA: 2.86
Overall GPA: 3.19
Observation hrs: 200+ outpatient sports medicine, 30+ (ongoing) inpatient

I'm not sure if I should take the GREs again because I already took it 3 times but I improved my score a little bit. Do you guys think my stats are okay? =/

I would not take it again, especially if you are rushing it. I'm not sure schools would be impressed if you improve a little bit after 4 times of taking it. You are over 1000 and have over 400 in verbal, so you should be okay. Are you trying to reach a certain score for a specific school?

I also took a Kaplan course and retook the GRE for the 3rd time recently. I think we talked about this before, so if you're interested, here's my scores

1st time: Aug 09 - V 370 Q 560
2nd time: Nov 09 - V 360 Q550
Took an online Kaplan course end of Sept-Oct
3rd time: Nov 10 - V410 Q720

I wish my verbal score was a bit higher but there is no way I'm taking it again.

I would not take it again, especially if you are rushing it. I'm not sure schools would be impressed if you improve a little bit after 4 times of taking it. You are over 1000 and have over 400 in verbal, so you should be okay. Are you trying to reach a certain score for a specific school?

I also took a Kaplan course and retook the GRE for the 3rd time recently. I think we talked about this before, so if you're interested, here's my scores

1st time: Aug 09 - V 370 Q 560
2nd time: Nov 09 - V 360 Q550
Took an online Kaplan course end of Sept-Oct
3rd time: Nov 10 - V410 Q720

I wish my verbal score was a bit higher but there is no way I'm taking it again.

Wow! Way to rock the Quant!!! Verbal is the downfall of us all... Stupid words that I never use or see... Despite my "chatty" writing on here, I can write intelligently and don't feel the need to use insanely huge words that no one knows to prove it. /end rant.

And after I took it the third time I was definitely over it!

Good luck! Do your best and it'll work out.

Last edited:
So updating from my previous post awhile back I took the GREs the 3rd time this week after my Kaplan course this week and I got:

Third Time:
Verbal- 430 (1st: 350, 2nd: 380)
Quantitative- 660 (1st: 580, 2nd: 490)
Analytical- ?? (prob 4 or 4.5 again)

My other stats:
Pre-req GPA: 2.86
Overall GPA: 3.19
Observation hrs: 200+ outpatient sports medicine, 30+ (ongoing) inpatient

I'm not sure if I should take the GREs again because I already took it 3 times but I improved my score a little bit. Do you guys think my stats are okay? =/

I think your GRE score is fine. I know you're probably trying to get a higher score to compensate for your GPA... are you still in school? If so I would actually focus on getting your pre-req GPA up over your GRE scores.

Several schools understand the GRE isn't really a measurement of how intelligent you are but how well you take standardized test.

Either way I think you'll be fine! I have a HORRIBLE GRE score and I've received interviews! I'll post it when/if I get accepted. Haha. Good luck though!

I am technically not really in school (at least not full-time like undergrad). I'm just doing prereqs when I can so my GPA won't change that much sadly since I only have anatomy left (whenever I finally get into one...crazy impacted community colleges) =/ I don't think I'm going to take the GREs again since it costs too much to take it and to send in the scores to all the schools (I applied to 13 schools + currently not working)

GREs suckk they make me feel dumb even though I know I'm not and I know it does not reflect our knowledge/intelligence. Standardized tests and such were never my expertise.

I figured hopefully they will look at more than just the GPA and the GREs...haven't heard from any schools for interviews yet but hoping to soon

Thanks everyone! :]

I'm in the same situation you're in. Thankfully, my school automatically enrolled me in a GRE prep class.

However, I am pretty confident that GRE scores aren't going to make or break acceptance into a graduate program. Like someone stated earlier, it's a measure of test-taking abilities. A low ACT score accommodating a high GPA balances out.

Plus, exams like the GRE are just acute measurements. Do administrators really care if you can bullsh** your way through a scantron, or do they care about long-term growth?

Plus, exams like the GRE are just acute measurements. Do administrators really care if you can bullsh** your way through a scantron, or do they care about long-term growth?

I was told by a professor that standardized test measures your potential to perform but not your actual ability. If you have a high GPA and a low GRE it shows you work harder to achieve your goals...

I wanted to know what you guys thought about that.

I was told by a professor that standardized test measures your potential to perform but not your actual ability. If you have a high GPA and a low GRE it shows you work harder to achieve your goals...

I wanted to know what you guys thought about that.

That's a potentially good way of looking at it... I don't think that I have a high GPA because I struggled to maintain it... I think that I work hard and do well and the GRE can kiss my butt because it's the only thing I don't succeed on haha. ;)

That's a potentially good way of looking at it... I don't think that I have a high GPA because I struggled to maintain it... I think that I work hard and do well and the GRE can kiss my butt because it's the only thing I don't succeed on haha. ;)

Haha. Very true. If the GRE was a measurement of my true potential I'm not sure how I got accepted to any undergraduate program and haven't flunked out yet. :D

i was in the same position a lot of you were in as well. I was struggling on my GRE b/c the one program that i wanted to get into had a minimum 450 verbal and overall 1000. here were my scores:
1st time: 450 V, 490 Q = 940
2nd time: 340 V, 520 Q = 860
3rd time: 460 V, 640 Q = 1100
The third time i took the GRE was about 5 weeks after the second time i took it. I went out and bought "GRE for Dummies". it was an easy read and for 5 weeks, ever spare moment i had my face was in that book and taking practice tests. This coming year i will probably be applying to civilian schools and possibly put in for an early release from the Army...that is if i dont get into my first choice: US Army-Baylor DPT program.

But if a school says they require a 1000 and if you do not make it won't they just reject you without looking any further such as GPA, volunteer hours, and letter of recommendations.

Yes, they could. In my personal experience they didn't. Pitt requires you to have a score of 500 minimum on both sections (1000 overall)-- I didn't get over a 490 on the verbal and still got accepted. (My overall scores were 1040, 1060 and 1090 when I tested).