This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMP or Post Bacc

• Post Bacc

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • SMP

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Both

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

insaiyanpredent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my GPA is 3.18 and sGPA is 2.95. I hadn't thought about medical school until about a year ago. Before that, I wasn't very motivated and didn't know which profession to pursue. I always liked science and was looking into pharmacy and dentistry as well didn't like either. Love the Hospital setting and want to pursue medicine. I know the GPA is no good. Haven't taken the MCAT yet will be planning to soon. I know I'm not ready to get into medical schools yet but wanted to know if I should do an SMP or a Post Bacc. My major is Biochemistry. I had mostly Bs had 1 D and 2 Cs, so that's why I'm thinking about a Post-Bacc. Please leave any advice. Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT* If I were to aim to go for an SMP what would be an ideal MCAT score to aim for. If I were to be specific Rutgers has an SMP and So does Mount Sinai. I'm Assuming Mt Sinai's program is more selective from the school reputation/research and the program on the website.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Post-bacc to bring your GPA's above 3.0. With 30 science credits of A's you'll have a 3.34/3.16 and based on your MCAT you can be competitive for DO schools.

Then a post-bacc or an SMP is probably going to be the best thing for you. Read @Goro's guide to reinvention: Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention. The man knows whereof he speaks. (It's like he's an adcom or something.)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

That was really helpful, thanks for the link.

Post-bacc to bring your GPA's above 3.0. With 30 science credits of A's you'll have a 3.34/3.16 and based on your MCAT you can be competitive for DO schools.

Any reason why Post-bacc over SMP? Is it due to the SMP being a high risk, high yield? I was thinking about doing an SMP possibly after a post-bacc to boost my chances more.

Have you tried fusing with Goku? His 4.0 will raise your GPA drastically.