DO Low GPA, decent MCAT need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helenti99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

cGPA: 3.15
sGPA: 3.30
MCAT: 514
Clinical: 1 year CNA ~1000hrs
Volunteer: 400hrs
Shadowing: 50hrs
Research: 1 yr, no publications
I was a part of a couple on-campus orgs, no leaderships roles though
KS resident, entering 4th year of school

I understand my GPA is very low and nowhere near the GPA I need to be competitive. I have already decided not to apply this cycle and to take a gap year. I struggled a lot my first two years of school due to illness and mental health problems but I did well my junior year and I am confident I can get 3.75+ my senior year. Still, that does not help me a lot. I also plan to continue shadowing and volunteering (get some non-clinical volunteer hours) during this year as well. I do not plan on taking the MCAT again.

To raise my GPA I am considering doing a one-year masters program or SMP during my gap year, however, I am not set on this idea due to financial reasons but if it helps me get into medical school I will do it.

My main question is: should I do a SMP or apply with the stats I will have after this year?

I realize I better fit the application for DO schools rather than MD so I will mainly apply DO with a few MD thrown in.

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive interviews at most DO schools with your current stats. If your cGPA is above 3.3 when you finish your final year you could receive interviews at some MD schools also, especially your state school.

Reactions: 1 users
A good postbac/certificate program may be good for you instead of an SMP as long as you continue to score well on your upper-level biomed courses. I have no insight on your volunteering to see if it will help you stand out or make you just like every other premed.

Reactions: 1 user
Anecdotally, I had around a 3.3-3.4 and similar MCAT and received multiple MD IIs. If by the end of senior year your GPA can get there, you are competitive for lower tier MDs without need for postbac.

Reactions: 1 user