Low GPA, choices?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meddocs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello . I am first-generation, economically disadvantaged, Asian female student in college right now in NYC. I am majoring in both Biology and psychology and I am in my fifth year. After a few internships and thorough self questioning, I truly believe I want to pursue medicine and apply for medical school.

However, I'm at a point now where now I have both a low overall GPA and science GPA. (3.0 overall, 2.4 sGPA, 'other' GPA 3.6) . I calculated sGPA with the Fs I received as well. 1 F and 1 D I received in a class.

In terms of my concerns: I have taken ALL of the required pre-med prereq courses. But most of them I received C's. Now my question is : what should I do?

1) I can apply for SMPs but most SMPs request a science GPA to be a 3.0. Should I continue to take undergrad courses to boost up sGPA just to apply for an SMP?

2) Should I apply for a masters in biomedical science program (MSBS) specifially geared towards having students take rigorous science courses? I understand that this GPA will be considered separate from undergrad, but do I have a chance if my MS grades are much higher?

3) Should I do post bacc program? However I've taken all pre req courses and I would just be repeating the courses and spending a lot of money to be part of a program. Would most likely take 2 years

OR

4) Should I remain an undergrad at my school (not file for graduation) and take upper level science courses (not enroll in any SMP, MS, or Postbac program) until I get a higher GPA and also study for MCAT. Would I still have a chance?

My extracurriculars include :
1.5 year of research in cancer biology at MSK (still ongoing....)
Nera med prep program at Columbia University & Mount Sinai.
1000 + volunteer hours including shadowing and community service
Tutoring for psychology and biology courses

Due to my GPA , the premed office at my school REFUSES to provide me with any sort of feedback which is why I'm here. I'd like to share that I don't think I want pursue an alternative career. I've made mistakes and I am still learning from them.

Members don't see this ad.

Option 4 is a good choice. You need to raise your sGPA to 3.0 to avoid being screened out at DO schools. So you will need to take many science courses and do well in them in order to raise your sGPA to 3.0 . You also need a MCAT of 505 or higher.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you :) To clarify with you , I meant that I would raise my GPA and try to get a high MCAT score and then just apply for medical school.

Is this a good idea? Do you think I would not be considered for MD programs?

Also, would it be odd to medical schools that I have been an undergrad for 5+ years?

You would need a high MCAT (510+) to have a chance for MD schools with your GPA. 500 or higher would be fine for some DO schools. 5 years out from undergrad is not a problem.