Low GPA, Chances of getting Into Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nani1990

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently decided to become a pharmacist after 7 years of deliberation in what area of the medical field i wanted to get a career in; ultimately my goal is to work as a pharmacist in the U.S. Army.

As a political refugee in the U.S. I had a lot of family responsibilities when i attended college (it took my family a few years to settle and stabilize in the U.S.) so i have quite a few withdrawals and audits on my transcript. Currently my cumulative GPA is 2.89 with a science GPA of 2.8 (There is room to raise it to 3.0 since i have 3 prerequisites to complete). I have completed 84 credits so far, with 113 total attempted credits. Currently I am considered a Sophomore, I do not have a bachelors degree yet but i will be getting my associates degree this coming fall term.I can go on and get my bachelors degree but if i can get into the program without accruing unnecessary debt it would be preferable. I have not taken my PCAT yet but my estimated score is 70-80th percentile (practice tests) . I am planning on taking the Kaplan prep course and take my PCAT's in November.

I am currently trying to find a pharmacist i can shadow when i am not working ( I work a 9-5 admin job) . However I have 2 years of research experience at a state university. Outside of that, most of my volunteer experience is when i was in high school in my country. Through the IB -diploma program i did a lot of community service work and raised and implemented a few programs within my community.

I speak three other languages outside of English fluently, and have been immersed indirectly to the life of someone who is the medical field ( both my parents are physicians).

My question to you is: what are my chances of getting into the ParmD program, what can I do to improve my chances?

Thank you in advance for your time and recommendations.
Nani

Members don't see this ad.

Try pull your sGPA up to a 3.0, score 80+ on the pcat, try to get pharmacy experience and you should be able to get into a decent number of programs.

Are you looking at any schools in particular?

Reactions: 1 user
Since you're a sophomore status, you still have time to bring up your GPA. There are many other factors that make you a competitive applicant besides GPA so try to be as well rounded as possible (working/shadowing, research + involvement, competitive PCAT, etc).
I have some friends who got into pharm school with a 2.8-2.9 GPA but their test scores and experience are stellar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone with a pulse can get into pharmacy school! Don't worry about getting in.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone with a pulse can get into pharmacy school! Don't worry about getting in.
I wouldn't say anyone, but I do know some low scores (GPA and PCAT) that have gotten into pharmacy school. I think schools are more concerned with the whole picture rather than a test.

I wouldn't say anyone, but I do know some low scores (GPA and PCAT) that have gotten into pharmacy school. I think schools are more concerned with the whole picture rather than a test.

Anyone that meets the minimum requirements gets in. Schools are getting very desperate. PS i have friends in faculty on admissions staffs. The average stats are tanking the past couple years. Im sure smart people know about the current pharmacy situation and as more people realize it, the worse the stats.

As others have said, don't worry about getting in. All you need to do is sign for $200k+ in loans.

Worry about landing a job and paying those loans off after you graduate.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Our admissions dept told us that if we give them an interview there in! Just make sure they're not a serial killer. (not exact words but you get the gist)

They are most concerned about whether you qualify for $200k+ in student loans.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

I think you need to go ahead and decide on 4 or 5 schools you really want to get into. Start calling the pharmacy colleges and asking some educated questions about admissions related issues. You're going to want to start getting your name recognition up. You'll also need a strong interview but you have an interesting background story so that should help your case. Score above 80 on the PCAT and start getting pharmacy experience immediately. Also don't just go work the job, really get to know your pharmacist's stories. You never know who you'll meet and who they know. You'll be fine.

just make sure to work as a technician before applying. Im only 3 weeks in and I want to quit so bad. The amount of abuse you get from customers is ridiculous.