This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachellem19

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I applied this cycle and have not received any interview invites. The biggest problem with my application is my low GPA. My stats are oGPA: 3.3 sGPA: 2.97 DAT AA: 22 TS:19 Bio: 19 OC: 18 GC:19 RC: 27 QR: 25 PAT: 18. I know I need to improve my GPA, but I am unsure of the best way to do this. I took all required prerequisites to earn my undergraduate degree in biology. Should I do an informal post-bac and take any upper level science courses to boost my undergrad GPA or should I retake pre-reqs that I received a C? Or would I be better off completing a masters program? I am also not sure if I should stop working 40hrs a week and do school full time again or if this can be done at the same time? Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
We have similar gpa and you even have a higher dat score than I and I received multiple invites. Your DAT score is reallly good! So maybe it is another part of your app that needs work. How many C’s did you have? Do you have a lot of extracurricular and shadowing hours? How many schools did you apply to? When did you apply? Did you send letters of intent? Have you attended an impressions day or visited the school on a tour?
As you can see there are sooo many variables that can play a part in your chance of receiving an interview and acceptance lol It’s already mid January but at the same time, you never know with these schools and when exactlyyyy their class will be full.
I think a post bac might be best to boost your gpa but then again it’s up to you if you want to spend an extra 30k on tuition alone. And sometimes the gpa barely improves but then again it might show admissions that your willing and are capable of tackling those harder science courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have similar gpa and you even have a higher dat score than I and I received multiple invites. Your DAT score is reallly good! So maybe it is another part of your app that needs work. How many C’s did you have? Do you have a lot of extracurricular and shadowing hours? How many schools did you apply to? When did you apply? Did you send letters of intent? Have you attended an impressions day or visited the school on a tour?
As you can see there are sooo many variables that can play a part in your chance of receiving an interview and acceptance lol It’s already mid January but at the same time, you never know with these schools and when exactlyyyy their class will be full.
I think a post bac might be best to boost your gpa but then again it’s up to you if you want to spend an extra 30k on tuition alone. And sometimes the gpa barely improves but then again it might show admissions that your willing and are capable of tackling those harder science courses.
I had a significant amount of activities and I have 115 hrs of shadowing. I was in a sorority, served as VP for 2 years, mortar board, varsity tennis, and I worked part time for admissions. However, I did not send out letters of intent and I applied to 11 schools in early July. I had C's in ochem 1&2, biochem (but then I took it a second time and got a B), and one in physics 2.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a significant amount of activities and I have 115 hrs of shadowing. I was in a sorority, served as VP for 2 years, mortar board, varsity tennis, and I worked part time for admissions. However, I did not send out letters of intent and I applied to 11 schools in early July. I had C's in ochem 1&2, biochem (but then I took it a second time and got a B), and one in physics 2.
That’s good to hear! Schools love to see EC and you have great amount of shadowing! I think the best thing to do now is to be seen so i would def send out LOI to the schools. I sent one to a school and received an invite a week later so it really won’t hurt to send one and to just update the school with activities related to dentistry. And it’s good that you retook biochem! I had a few Cs even a D so honestly I don’t think schools would hold that against you. As long as you were able to talk about it somewhere on your application. How was your PS? Do you think you have strong letters of recommendation? I think it also depends on which schools you applied to. Like for example my gpa and dat are very very average and I dared not apply to like UPenn or UF lol
So please don’t lose hope and update the schools! Lol I’m sure you’ll hear something soon, and not a rejection!

That’s good to hear! Schools love to see EC and you have great amount of shadowing! I think the best thing to do now is to be seen so i would def send out LOI to the schools. I sent one to a school and received an invite a week later so it really won’t hurt to send one and to just update the school with activities related to dentistry. And it’s good that you retook biochem! I had a few Cs even a D so honestly I don’t think schools would hold that against you. As long as you were able to talk about it somewhere on your application. How was your PS? Do you think you have strong letters of recommendation? I think it also depends on which schools you applied to. Like for example my gpa and dat are very very average and I dared not apply to like UPenn or UF lol
So please don’t lose hope and update the schools! Lol I’m sure you’ll hear something soon, and not a rejection!
If you don’t mind me asking, where did you get interviews at?

Or, you could contact the schools in question and ask them what you can do to improve your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey I have similar stats and recieved 4 interviews and 1 acceptance this cycle.
3.1 sGPA 3.48 oGPA 19TS 19 TA

I suggest trying to raise your GPA to a 3.0. My sGPA was originally 2.99 and after this cycle it went up and I got multiple interivews after i did my academic update. I also suggest trying to up your shadowing hours. during my interviews many of the committee members stated that my hours was what made my application stand out as it showed commitment.

If you have the money go for a post-bac as many programs love it when you do really good in those programs.

Reactions: 2 users
noooo I tried to dm you too rn, not sure what's going on
Yeah idk lol but I’ve interviewed at UTHSC UNC Louisville and Marquette. I also received an invite to Meharry today. So having avg stats does not automatically count you out lol

Hi Everyone! I applied this cycle and have not received any interview invites. The biggest problem with my application is my low GPA. My stats are oGPA: 3.3 sGPA: 2.97 DAT AA: 22 TS:19 Bio: 19 OC: 18 GC:19 RC: 27 QR: 25 PAT: 18. I know I need to improve my GPA, but I am unsure of the best way to do this. I took all required prerequisites to earn my undergraduate degree in biology. Should I do an informal post-bac and take any upper level science courses to boost my undergrad GPA or should I retake pre-reqs that I received a C? Or would I be better off completing a masters program? I am also not sure if I should stop working 40hrs a week and do school full time again or if this can be done at the same time? Any advice would be appreciated!
you'll be plenty good.. just apply early! I had extremely similar statistics and had 4 pre december interviews! Youll be fine! Go for it!

What @OhioGuy42 said. You will be fine! Focus on crafting the rest of your application (rec letters, PS, extracurriculars). Try to develop a common theme that shapes you into a wholesome applicant. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey I have similar stats and recieved 4 interviews and 1 acceptance this cycle.
3.1 sGPA 3.48 oGPA 19TS 19 TA

I suggest trying to raise your GPA to a 3.0. My sGPA was originally 2.99 and after this cycle it went up and I got multiple interivews after i did my academic update. I also suggest trying to up your shadowing hours. during my interviews many of the committee members stated that my hours was what made my application stand out as it showed commitment.

If you have the money go for a post-bac as many programs love it when you do really good in those programs.
Where did you apply and get interviews/acceptance?