Low GPA 1100 GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSchoolHopefu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was going to go into Post-bacc work and try to get into med school bust decided on pursuing an MPH at least for now. I just graduated from Providence College with a degree in Political Science, I have a 2.7 gpa and an 1100 GRE. I have 5+ years work experience in community health and I'm volunteering for a year in a medical shelter in Costa Rica begining in Sept. I'm curious to know what programs will accept me with my low numbers, or rather, what schools should I look at realistically. Location doesn't really matter, but I would prefer to stay in the Boston area. Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Dan

Members don't see this ad.

The GPA is pretty low for MPH schools. Most good or high ranked schools look for atleast a 3.0. In your area you have BU and Harvard which are pretty popular but I think you GPA will cause a problem. I would recommend taking some classes to improve that. Your work experience is great and the GRE scores are okay. You can talk to the schools if they think your scores are competitive. Good luck.

Homer101 said:
The GPA is pretty low for MPH schools. Most good or high ranked schools look for atleast a 3.0. In your area you have BU and Harvard which are pretty popular but I think you GPA will cause a problem. I would recommend taking some classes to improve that. Your work experience is great and the GRE scores are okay. You can talk to the schools if they think your scores are competitive. Good luck.

While Homer101 makes a good point about the GPA. I really believe that your work experience can make a large difference. I would assume that you have been out of school for 5 years if you have 5 years work experience. If you address the reasons for your low GPA in your personal statement that can make a difference. In other words did your grades improve the last two years of school? Why was your GPA low? All of those questions may help, at least somewhat. But I think the best advice is to really talk to the schools and see what they say. Set up an appointment to really meet with a person in the admission office. Get them to know you as a person becuase that way when the admission packet comes thru they actually have a face behind all the information. That doesn't give you a quick shot it but it may help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hihi,

I don't want to be the bringer of bad news, but a 2.7 GPA really isn't acceptable for graduate school at all, muchless medical school. Almost all schools have a minimum cutoff of 3.0, and won't even look at your application unless it passes through screening (it'll go directly into the rejected pile). Although experience will definately augment your application, it is simply not a substitute for a poor academic record. Being borderline, a good resume might help, but I honestly don't think it'll matter much in this case. The #1 thing graduate schools care about is your previous academic performance, and the higher up in education you go, the less other things matter. I think this might be less true for public health schools, but is still applicable nonetheless.

You might want to think about why you did so poorly in undergrad, and go from there. If you seriously want to get into graduate school, it might take more work (classes) to get your GPA up before you can even apply, and you might be 1-2 years out before you're competitive for an MPH at all. If you're not willing to put in this kind of committment with no guarantee of success, graduate school might not be in the cards for you. As someone who previously applied and got accepted, I don't think medical school is an option, period.

Hey, thanks for your advice (or lack of it) I've been accepted into graduate school already (master in health administration/public administration, and a master in Latin American Studies program). My post was to get some advice as to what school I should look at for an MPH, if there is one out there for me. Your assumption that I wouldn't get into an MPH, much less a GRAD school was a little harsh and ignorant. I have spoken to D.O.'s and even M.D.'s who were accepted into med school with less than stellar numbers, and they are now obviously doctors. Thanks anyway.

I appreciate the other posts, I will see if my year abroad will help me out at all. I called BU and asked about their numbers, and they said I could use my LSAT score in place of the GRE (which is alot better, surprisingly). This may help me and they do consider every application. I worked in community health while in high school and college on breaks and summers. I did alot of HIV/AIDs outreach, breast and cervical cancer awareness in the Hispanic Community, Smoking Cessation programs, and helped create a Reach Out and Read program in a poor community. Hopefully these things will help me. If not I'll look into defering my admission for the grad programs I got into

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi,

I don't want to be the bringer of bad news, but a 2.7 GPA really isn't acceptable for graduate school at all, muchless medical school. Almost all schools have a minimum cutoff of 3.0, and won't even look at your application unless it passes through screening (it'll go directly into the rejected pile). Although experience will definately augment your application, it is simply not a substitute for a poor academic record. Being borderline, a good resume might help, but I honestly don't think it'll matter much in this case. The #1 thing graduate schools care about is your previous academic performance, and the higher up in education you go, the less other things matter. I think this might be less true for public health schools, but is still applicable nonetheless.

You might want to think about why you did so poorly in undergrad, and go from there. If you seriously want to get into graduate school, it might take more work (classes) to get your GPA up before you can even apply, and you might be 1-2 years out before you're competitive for an MPH at all. If you're not willing to put in this kind of committment with no guarantee of success, graduate school might not be in the cards for you. As someone who previously applied and got accepted, I don't think medical school is an option, period.

With your background I really think that you have a good chance at many MPH programs. To be honest it sounds like you have an amazing background. Everyone makes mistakes in college I really think that GRE/ GPA is only a guide but what really shows your dedication is your work experience. To be honest you sound like you have amazing work experience. The fact that you speak Spanish (or at least I am assuming you do) is a huge plus in a lot of people's minds.

I would honestly apply to all the schools that you want to, i think you have a good shot at any of them. Sure it would be easier to get in to any MPH with higher scores but so what. Who wants to make it easy? That's just not fun.

Yes like mentioned earlier as well your work exp seems very good and if you can build a strong case I am sure they will look at your entire package not just your GPA. For the GPA part if you are worried just take a few classes over summer and fall I am sure you will pull it up. Also some schools accept people in Spring as well, so if you want to pull up your GPA and apply later that can work too. Like someone pointed out here that it might be good to talk to the school directly and they are usually helpful. I know BU is very helpful, as I did call them about some stuff but ended up not applying. Good luck and I am sure everything will work out.

Look at Jefferson for MSPH. Their entry criteria is fairly undefined and they are looking for students to get their fairly new program going. If you want any info on the school I'd be happy to talk to you about it (I'm almost done there.)

If you want to stay around Boston, BU is definitely a fair option. I think that they do put a fair bit of weight on "real world" experience. Plus, you can take a couple of classes there without being enrolled in the program. If you did that, it would not only strengthen your application (for this and other schools) but get a few requirements out of the way if you did want to complete your degree at BU.

Dont listen to all those people! I graduated in May with a 3.09 GPa (2.8 sci Gpa) and an 1100 GRE score, and was acepted to George Washington Univ for MPH in International Health. What God has for you is for you, and no one can change that! Be encouraged, and I wish you the best in your prgram:)

MedSchoolHopefu said:
Hey, thanks for your advice (or lack of it) I've been accepted into graduate school already (master in health administration/public administration, and a master in Latin American Studies program). My post was to get some advice as to what school I should look at for an MPH, if there is one out there for me. Your assumption that I wouldn't get into an MPH, much less a GRAD school was a little harsh and ignorant. I have spoken to D.O.'s and even M.D.'s who were accepted into med school with less than stellar numbers, and they are now obviously doctors. Thanks anyway.

I appreciate the other posts, I will see if my year abroad will help me out at all. I called BU and asked about their numbers, and they said I could use my LSAT score in place of the GRE (which is alot better, surprisingly). This may help me and they do consider every application. I worked in community health while in high school and college on breaks and summers. I did alot of HIV/AIDs outreach, breast and cervical cancer awareness in the Hispanic Community, Smoking Cessation programs, and helped create a Reach Out and Read program in a poor community. Hopefully these things will help me. If not I'll look into defering my admission for the grad programs I got into