Low DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElCid

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been trying to balance work and studying for the DAT. Ive been using the TopScore software and have been taking the individual subject tests. Well, I have been getting REALLY BAD scores. I think Ive shot all the way down to an 13 or so in orgo once or twice.

Im really worried about taking the DAT, especially after looking at how I performed on the TopScore practice. I am terrible at taking these generic standardized admission tests. I ran into the same problem when taking the GRE for grad school. I had a really strong academic background, but I just bombed the GRE.

So what do folks like me do? Is there even anyone else out there in similar positions. I have read TONS of posts about people with low gpas, but not so much about low DAT.

Any help or advice regarding applying with low dat scores or even how the TopScore software stacks up against the real thing would really help.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can swing it, I'd quit your job. This is what I did this summer. I had a really good job, but had to call it quits and study. I only did about 4-5 hours of studying a day, but for me it was mainly the focus. I could buckle down and pull off 5 GREAT hours, then work out, etc. and relax. Trying to do both left me stressed and not enough energy to study well.

Topscore is very similar to the DAT, if that's not going well I'd reccomend plugging away at tons of practice problems and memorizing the Kaplan book as recommended in many other posts.

I had to quit my job too during my DAT study marathon. And the thing that really sucks, was that it was a job where I just sat infront of a computer all day doing next to nothing, for $17/hr!!

Ive been studying for 3 weeks now and I take the DAT in 6 days. I, too, had to quit my job at a dental office to go to summer school and study for the DAT. Its way too hard to do too many things at once, especially when we are dealing with this ONE shot opportunity. Working 40 hours a week during school is fine because you have several assignments/tests to prove your worth, however, with the DAT it is 4 hours. It could be the best or worst day of your life.
On the positive side - I was also getting lower scores on Topscore than I would have liked. I've really had to perfect my studying. Like Jaap said, you've got to set aside a set amount of time to dedicate to only this, and it needs to be atleast a few hours a day. Take the practice tests as a way of testing what you know and don't know. Don't worry bout the scores you are getting. Go through the tests and say to yourself, "how well do I know the topic that this question is referring to?" Some you will know well, others you wont. Write down the topics you are not so good at and then go to the books and study that section. A lot of people on here advised to read the entire book over and over. Although I think its a good idea, I don't think people mean it literally. There are some sections you know better than others. Dont waste your time on topics you already know.
Bottom line - you can use topscore as more than just a measure of your score. If you are getting low scores, I would suggest not worrying/caring about doing it for that. Get to know the types of questions asked. Hope this helps.

Nic

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it comes down to confidence. If you walk into the test thinking that you won't do well, then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. But if you walk in knowing that you will rock the test, then you will. I only studied for a week and took 2 Kaplan tests, but I ended up doing well because I said I would.