Low BCMP GPA--- are some ad cons aware that it may never be where they desire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Q

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in possibly retaking some science classes. I have a good mcat but with HUGE increases over my 3x taking it. My BCMP GPA isnt great but if you actually review my grades it's just inconsistent.

Point being, I'll never have the 3.5 or higher they desire. Are adcoms cognizant of that or are they just stuck on numbers? Are they able to see the full picture on applicants and recent improvements without getting stuck on numbers that really don't tell a story besides a grade you got in a class. There is no way to say my orgo class was harder/easier than yours or that my A is worth the same amount of knowledge as your B-.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

While there are tons of med schools that are numbers ******, there are also some MD, and ALL DO schools that reward reinvention. You just have to prove that the you of now is not the you of then. Then, it's not the cGPA they value, but the most recent 1-3 years that do, for them.

A 3x MCAT history can be more problematic, for several reasons.

I'm interested in possibly retaking some science classes. I have a good mcat but with HUGE increases over my 3x taking it. My BCMP GPA isnt great but if you actually review my grades it's just inconsistent.

Point being, I'll never have the 3.5 or higher they desire. Are adcoms cognizant of that or are they just stuck on numbers? Are they able to see the full picture on applicants and recent improvements without getting stuck on numbers that really don't tell a story besides a grade you got in a class. There is no way to say my orgo class was harder/easier than yours or that my A is worth the same amount of knowledge as your B-.

There is no way to say my orgo class was harder/easier than yours or that my A is worth the same amount of knowledge as your B-.

This is the purpose of the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is a 3x mcat problematic? Because I reported it? Would I have been smarter to just cancel a few of them? If my highest grade is who I am now, does it matter what my first score or second score was, especially with the marked improvement

There seems to be no logical consistency in that logic

How is a 3x mcat problematic? Because I reported it? Would I have been smarter to just cancel a few of them? If my highest grade is who I am now, does it matter what my first score or second score was, especially with the marked improvement

Improvement is good, but remember that you get what you get on the USMLE. (Barring out-right failure, if I remember correctly.)

For this reason, adcoms can be cautious about applicants with multiple attempts at the MCAT.