2.8 GPA for Ireland with Postbac & Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ofcourse1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 2.8 GPA in a Social Science degree from a Canadian university. I haven't taken any science prerequisites throughout my undergraduate as I decided to go into medicine later in my career. I am waiting to hear back on my application to a Masters program in Clinical Neuropsychiatry in the UK. I'm not sure if I'll be accepted into the Masters program though given my background. The tuition for the Masters program alone is around $30,000 Canadian dollars. If I get an acceptance, I was thinking of going to the UK, finishing it and then applying to Ireland's Graduate Entry programs. Is it worth it to spend $30 000 on a Masters program to boost my application for the Ireland? Or should I take science prerequisite courses at a nearby university and apply with a high MCAT (I'm aiming for 518). I'm also in the process of becoming a volunteer research assistant at a hospital to help with manuscript writing. I have work experience as an assistant to a psychiatrist and medical office work at an Addictions clinic. Would these experiences combined with my high MCAT make up for the low GPA when applying without a Masters?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 2.8 GPA in a Social Science degree from a Canadian university. I haven't taken any science prerequisites throughout my undergraduate as I decided to go into medicine later in my career. I am waiting to hear back on my application to a Masters program in Clinical Neuropsychiatry in the UK. I'm not sure if I'll be accepted into the Masters program though given my background. The tuition for the Masters program alone is around $30,000 Canadian dollars. If I get an acceptance, I was thinking of going to the UK, finishing it and then applying to Ireland's Graduate Entry programs. Is it worth it to spend $30 000 on a Masters program to boost my application for the Ireland? Or should I take science prerequisite courses at a nearby university and apply with a high MCAT (I'm aiming for 518). I'm also in the process of becoming a volunteer research assistant at a hospital to help with manuscript writing. I have work experience as an assistant to a psychiatrist and medical office work at an Addictions clinic. Would these experiences combined with my high MCAT make up for the low GPA when applying without a Masters?

Based on what I read, Irish universities seem to take into consideration external factors like the rigor of the degree and the course load of the student per year, so there may be some leniency there in terms of GPA. In my opinion, with a lower GPA, the more medically relevant and long-term experiences you have, the better for your application. The experiences you've mentioned fit the bill, so it should be a matter of writing about them well enough on your application. Just my personal note: do you have any experiences actually directly interacting with patients? Sometimes, those can be just as, if not more, valuable than research experiences.

To be perfectly honest with you, a GPA below 3.0 will raise some questions about your ability to handle a medical education, which is far more rigorous and challenging than an undergraduate degree. I don't know you and what factors contributed towards your 2.8, so I'm not in a position to judge your ability and I don't. But I do think your application would be strengthened by having a Masters degree, and by doing well in it, because it shows the medical schools you can handle a tough program, regardless of what your undergrad GPA was. I'm not sure what the required prerequisites are for Irish schools, but do look into if they would be waived if you have a Masters.

Also, it's a great goal to try and get 518 on the MCAT, but you haven't taken any science prerequisites and I dare say haven't been exposed to the material since high school. It's going to take some time and a lot of studying to get it done. I wouldn't say impossible, but definitely challenging.

I'm a Canadian heading to the UK, so I've looked into the process of getting back and it's tough for IMGs, regardless of which country they study in. Would you consider applying back to Canadian/US schools with a Masters? Some schools give extra points for a Masters; combined with relevant and long-term experiences, you could score an interview (depending on if your 2.8 translates over to their minimum requirement if they have one and whether you're IP/OOP).

Reactions: 1 user
Based on what I read, Irish universities seem to take into consideration external factors like the rigor of the degree and the course load of the student per year, so there may be some leniency there in terms of GPA. In my opinion, with a lower GPA, the more medically relevant and long-term experiences you have, the better for your application. The experiences you've mentioned fit the bill, so it should be a matter of writing about them well enough on your application. Just my personal note: do you have any experiences actually directly interacting with patients? Sometimes, those can be just as, if not more, valuable than research experiences.

To be perfectly honest with you, a GPA below 3.0 will raise some questions about your ability to handle a medical education, which is far more rigorous and challenging than an undergraduate degree. I don't know you and what factors contributed towards your 2.8, so I'm not in a position to judge your ability and I don't. But I do think your application would be strengthened by having a Masters degree, and by doing well in it, because it shows the medical schools you can handle a tough program, regardless of what your undergrad GPA was. I'm not sure what the required prerequisites are for Irish schools, but do look into if they would be waived if you have a Masters.

Also, it's a great goal to try and get 518 on the MCAT, but you haven't taken any science prerequisites and I dare say haven't been exposed to the material since high school. It's going to take some time and a lot of studying to get it done. I wouldn't say impossible, but definitely challenging.

I'm a Canadian heading to the UK, so I've looked into the process of getting back and it's tough for IMGs, regardless of which country they study in. Would you consider applying back to Canadian/US schools with a Masters? Some schools give extra points for a Masters; combined with relevant and long-term experiences, you could score an interview (depending on if your 2.8 translates over to their minimum requirement if they have one and whether you're IP/OOP).

Thanks for your reply. I have a 2.8 GPA mainly because I was dealing with health issues throughout my undergrad. I also ended up taking time off in the middle of my undergrad due to severe health issues. I have done very well in senior level courses in my undergrad during my fourth year when my GPA was a 3.7 out of 4.0. That was the only year in which I did extremely well.

When I talked to Atlantic Bridge, they mentioned that they would take all the education I completed into consideration. I'm thinking of applying only to Ireland after completing a Masters. I looked at Canadian universities but I don't think I would have a shot given my low GPA. Many of the universities' GPA requirements are around a 3.0.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this forum is for Irish schools, but have you thought about applying to Australian Med Schools? Based on your current GPA and assuming you got a 500 or higher on your MCAT you may have a good chance. Have you checked out OzTREKK? It's the Australian equilavant of the Atlantic Bridge.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I have a 2.8 GPA mainly because I was dealing with health issues throughout my undergrad. I also ended up taking time off in the middle of my undergrad due to severe health issues. I have done very well in senior level courses in my undergrad during my fourth year when my GPA was a 3.7 out of 4.0. That was the only year in which I did extremely well.

When I talked to Atlantic Bridge, they mentioned that they would take all the education I completed into consideration. I'm thinking of applying only to Ireland after completing a Masters. I looked at Canadian universities but I don't think I would have a shot given my low GPA. Many of the universities' GPA requirements are around a 3.0.

US schools can be more lenient, especially if you show an upward trend and do well in the Masters. But nothing is guaranteed unfortunately, as Canada is ultra-competitive and we're mostly considered out-of-state or internationals in the US (low chances of success all around, yay).

As someone else pointed out, Australia is also a viable option. I haven't looked into them too much but their intake is usually around January and there are lower requirements (a 2.5 for some I think). I've also heard that if you go to certain Australian schools, you should be eligible to complete residency training there, so that's a good backup option. There's no such thing in Ireland unfortunately.

US schools can be more lenient, especially if you show an upward trend and do well in the Masters. But nothing is guaranteed unfortunately, as Canada is ultra-competitive and we're mostly considered out-of-state or internationals in the US (low chances of success all around, yay).

As someone else pointed out, Australia is also a viable option. I haven't looked into them too much but their intake is usually around January and there are lower requirements (a 2.5 for some I think). I've also heard that if you go to certain Australian schools, you should be eligible to complete residency training there, so that's a good backup option. There's no such thing in Ireland unfortunately.

Would you happen to know which Australian schools have that option to complete residency training there?

I'm not too sure to be honest, it's something that I've just read/heard in some threads. I do know there's nothing like that in Ireland because I looked into the Irish schools in more detail.

This is the OzTREKK page where you can find out more about the schools: OzTREKK | Australian Medical Schools in Australia

As far as I know, if you're not Australian, and even if you train there, you cannot complete residency in Australia.

Same as if you're Australian and decide to go abroad.

Unless the rules changed in the last year ...

Also you *can* apply to do your intern year in Ireland if you go to an Irish school, however without Irish or EU citizenship or a partnership visa, you likely won't get a spot (and you have to be top 10 or so in your class).