Loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mh82ai3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From my limited experience, H&N surgeons don't wear loupes even when doing cases where I think they would help, like thyroids, neck dissections, and other tumor cases. Is that true around the country? and if so how come?

Members don't see this ad.

I love loupes, wear them much more than most anyone else I know. Tonsils, septos, thyroids, parotids, necks, etc.

For tonsils and septos, the loupes narrow your field of vision so that you aren't operating with one eye as much. They can slow you down when doing necks and thyroids, though. I'd rather be a little slower and not cut the RLN, XI, VII, etc.

I use them for parotids and for thyroids and some skin cancer stuff but never for neck dissections or intra-oral stuff. I love my loupes for the parotids and thyroids--never used them in residency, but now I don't like doing the cases without them.

When I was in residency our head and neck oncology top dog used them for lots of stuff. Our free flap guy never used them--he operated under the microscope when he needed magnification. Using loupes by the other docs was very hit or miss, but I would say the vast majority did not use them. Not sure why.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our attendings wear loupes quite a bit and most of the residents purchase some before graduating. We usually get Designs for Vision, but more and more people have been getting Surgitel. What do you recommend?

Our attendings wear loupes quite a bit and most of the residents purchase some before graduating. We usually get Designs for Vision, but more and more people have been getting Surgitel. What do you recommend?

I have posted on this before and have been recommending that while these company do make great loupes, other companies sell high quality loupes for less than half the price of these big names. i posted about it here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=436485 you can check it out

I have DfV's and like them a lot. Can't say too much about other brands, other than I knew some folks who had Zeiss loupes that were huge, heavy, and cumbersome.

I have Zeiss Loupes, just 2.5x and I like them a lot. Mine are light and comfortable, but the best part is the have a wide depth of field so I don't need the table exactly so many cm from my face for them to work. I would not have chosen Zeiss originally, but I got them free during my time in the AF and beggers can't be choosers. I wouldn't have chosen them, but I don't regret having them now and am not looking for new ones.