loupe recs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

booger picker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Loupe recs... DFV seems to be the preferred, but does anyone have keeler or surgitel that they can comment on? flip up or ttl? attached LED light or xenon?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Loupe recs... DFV seems to be the preferred, but does anyone have keeler or surgitel that they can comment on? flip up or ttl? attached LED light or xenon?

Thanks.

I've got Zeiss, 2.5x with wide depth of field. Flip up with attachable xenon mini light. I like them a lot, but I don't need anything fancier for my parotids and thyroids which really are the only cases for which I routinely wear them.

I like the expanded field option with DFV, but they only have 3.5 mag and up.

Is the 3.5 expanded too much to use on the more routine cases like thyroids or a parotid? I wonder how those compare to the standard 2.5's that everyone has.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the expanded field option with DFV, but they only have 3.5 mag and up.

Is the 3.5 expanded too much to use on the more routine cases like thyroids or a parotid? I wonder how those compare to the standard 2.5's that everyone has.

for me, I didn't like more magnification than 2.5x. I never used loupes in residency, but started as an attending because I had the resources to get them free. Thought I'd try them out and like them a lot for those 2 cases and some of the minor skin flap stuff on the face. However, I didn't like the 3.5's because I thought they were too heavy and I didn't like the limited field. I really like seeing the big picture and felt I got too limited with the higher magnification.

Anybody else have a preference on Surgitel vs DSV/others?

DSV 2.5X for thyroids and parotids. Also use for LN Bx and limited necks. Do not use them for major necks, as I feel I get loupe-itis. I do use them for FP cases, as I am a bit paranoid about those, and appreciate the higher magnification for getting around lesions.

To be honest, I have really been thinking about getting a second set at 3.5X. But I know that is probably bit excessive.

My mentors used 2.5X and 3.5X almost 50/50. Those that used 2.5X seemed to use them all the time. Those that used 3.5X seemed to use them exclusively for thyroids/parotids/thyroplasty/etc.

It is really a personal choice - what do you feel comfortable with, and what weight are you willing to put up with for an extended period of time.

I started with 2.5s. The new Nike frame from Designs for Vision is amazing. Very light. Very comfortable, and you don't need added eyeshields. Downside is you can't add a prescription, so only an option if you don't use glasses.

Now that I'm a PGY4, I'm thinking about getting 3.5x loupes. Will probably go Zeiss this time, expanded field. I've borrowed some from co-residents and they really seem to have the best optics.

I started with 2.5s. The new Nike frame from Designs for Vision is amazing. Very light. Very comfortable, and you don't need added eyeshields. Downside is you can't add a prescription, so only an option if you don't use glasses.

Now that I'm a PGY4, I'm thinking about getting 3.5x loupes. Will probably go Zeiss this time, expanded field. I've borrowed some from co-residents and they really seem to have the best optics.

What case would you imagine using the 3.5x for? Maybe it's something I didn't do while in training but I can't think of a time when I felt like I needed more. Although loupes are so individual. I use them some when others don't and don't use them when others do.

What case would you imagine using the 3.5x for? Maybe it's something I didn't do while in training but I can't think of a time when I felt like I needed more. Although loupes are so individual. I use them some when others don't and don't use them when others do.

Where I'm training, we do the anastomosis on free flaps with loupes, not a microscope. Sometimes we use 3.5s (if we have them), but most of the time I just use my 2.5 DFVs with the Yeoman (old-school Poindexter) frame. They're kind of heavy, but feel solid and stable, not like they're hanging off my face.

I have Surgitel loupes, optics are perfect and they are very sturdy & comfortable . I have 2.5 TTL with the standard titanium frame - which is really comfortable bc the loupes are still pretty light and they have an extra nose pad so there is less pressure. The standard frame is heavier and not as cool as the Oakley frames they offer.

I would go TTL rather than flip up, bc there is less obstruction of your view outside the loupes

I think either surgitel or DFV are top notch. I tried on some Zeiss loupes and they were pretty heavy/bulky/uncomfortable.

Sent from my MB860 using SDN Mobile