Loupes frame lifetime warranty important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent_wannabe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if a lifetime warranty on the frame for a pair of loupes should be considered a selling point? Q Optics does lifetime warranty on all their frames and Designs for Vision does it for a select few of their frames, whereas Orascoptic and Surgitel only have a 3 year warranty on their frames. I am doing the 45 day no obligation trial with a few companies because considering this is a very long term investment, I don't really feel that I can make an informed decision by only trying them on at a table.

Members don't see this ad.

Ask them to define “Lifetime.” Some companies determine the lifespan of their frames, so they use the term lifetime as a marketing gimmick

Reactions: 1 user
Warranty is definitely a selling point depending on whats covered. QOptics has awesome customer service. DSV leaves a bit to be desired from what I've experienced in the past. Orascoptic and Surgitel are just average.

Members don't see this ad :)
Surgitel loupes have greatly disappointed. Plastic began crumbling on optics after 8 years of medium use. I contacted them and they said it is "wear and tear." They suggested a new pair as the repair cost is similar to new. I do not recommend them. Poor customer service.

I’m decently happy with my designs for vision buddy holly “lifetime” frames

Surgitel loupes have greatly disappointed. Plastic began crumbling on optics after 8 years of medium use. I contacted them and they said it is "wear and tear." They suggested a new pair as the repair cost is similar to new. I do not recommend them. Poor customer service.

I think you got your money's worth after 8 years.

Also, lifetime warranty doesn't matter because you need a second pair anyway. Even with your warranty, they aren't going to overnight you another set of loupes, especially if they are prescription loupes. Just get a second set, if they break, then you have ZERO downtime. Your tools to work are way more important than saving a few thousand on a set of loupes. You will lose a lot more money if you didn't have that second set. Even losing a couple of hours will be offsetting your "savings" on loupes without a backup set.

Warranty shouldn't be your first priority. It should be performance and visual quality.

Depends on the brand. I had qoptics and when my loupes broke they sent me a loaner and fixed my loupes within one week. Their customer service was amazing the whole time. I have had friends with DFV that had loupes break within a year and DFV basically told them tough luck.

Depends on the brand. I had qoptics and when my loupes broke they sent me a loaner and fixed my loupes within one week. Their customer service was amazing the whole time. I have had friends with DFV that had loupes break within a year and DFV basically told them tough luck.
DFV only has one loupes frame with a “lifetime warranty,” those are the buddy holly frames. Any other frame doesn’t