Lots of IMGs in Michigan gen surgery programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So I was randomly looking at Michigan general surgery programs and I noticed a lot of them are filled with like 50% - 70% IMGs. Are these programs undesirable due to location? I thought general surgery was pretty competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

So I was randomly looking at Michigan general surgery programs and I noticed a lot of them are filled with like 50% - 70% IMGs. Are these programs undesirable due to location? I thought general surgery was pretty competitive.
I haven't looked at all programs, but are you sure you aren't looking at Prelim General Surgery positions? The programs I looked at have either no IMGs or a scattered few. I couldn't find any that had 50-70% IMGs (although admittedly just checked 4 or 5 programs).

Reactions: 1 user
You can check out the residents at Western Michigan. BTW I'm not trying to bash IMGs or the program, I think it's great their able to match.

http://med.wmich.edu/education/residents/residency-programs/general-surgery

It looks like they have 4-5 Pgy1 and 2s but only 2 categorical residents per year' so at least half of the first two years are Preliminary residents.

I agree that they have a fair number of IMGs even amongst senior residents but I would expect that this has so something to do with location/quality of program as they are certainly not representative of most Michigan or US gen surgery residencies. I'm not familiar enough with this program to comment on it (the ones I looked at were Michigan State, UM, Grand Rapids and Wayne State).

Reactions: 1 user