All Branch Topic (ABT) LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firenze222

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The attending I worked with agreed to write me a LOR. He is aware that I'm a HPSP student. He asked me if there is anything specific for the military he could add in the letter to make my letter stronger. (fyi, he does not have prior service or any ties to the military, he is just trying to help out)

Anyone have input as to what could be helpful if included in the letter specific for a military residency? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

"Definitely did not have contact with the Russians during this rotation."

I wouldn't have him try to shoehorn in something that sounds military. The residency directors know that most of your attendings don't have military experience. Just have him write a good LoR that explains that you're a good student and a good person. Otherwise it might come off as insincere.

Reactions: 1 user
you want them to comment on what they know-- like @HighPriest said, keep it to work ethic, character, and teachability (ie, not a pretentious a-hole). commenting on anything military as non-military may raise some red flags. and speaking of red flags-- agree w/ "no contact with Russians" might consider adding "or Chinese."

--your friendly neighborhood when is President Ryan getting sworn in caveman

Members don't see this ad :)
"Definitely did not have contact with the Russians during this rotation."
LOL

MAGA=Make Anesthesiology Great Again

Standard bolierplate language from a non-military physician attesting to your general competence and non-malignant personality is fine. If you want to stand out you need a letter from a military doc. I have no idea who the civilian doc is so I don't put much stock in what he or she says. I'm 2-3 degrees separated from the military doc who writes your letter--that opinion means something to me.