LoR Question - not confident in the content

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Delacroix22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a quick question - I am focusing on getting a LoR from all my away rotations as I apply to a competitive surgical subspecialty. I currently have the chairmen letter from my home institiution, another attending from my home institiution about to upload his, and will be asking for one from my second away rotation tomorrow.

I do have one concern however... about the third letter from my third away rotation.

The experience was good, but I didn't feel like the program was a good match for me. The program director with whom I worked alot was quite prickly and pimped the other AI and I super hardcore. I never felt like I performed POORLY but there were times where it seemed like the PD just flat out didn't like me. However the PD was very nice and cordial outside of the OR, in the OR it was just not enjoyable.

When asking for a letter from the PD, they told us that the letter is a committee style letter and opinions of us are gathered from ALL the attendings. This makes me feel better because the other attendings were much more my style and I felt much more impressive in front of all of them.

My question is.... what are the chances that this letter of rec is less than stellar? I am worried about sending it out to be honest, but wouldn't it look worse if I did this away and did NOT have a letter from them? I'm kind of in a bind. I asked a resident about this at a different institution and she said not to worry, just to use it. Because I never "effed up" it just seemed like a perceptive problem of mine. I've worked really hard, my dean's letter is the highest recommendation possible, same with the letter from my chairman from home. I'm just really anxious about this. And I don't have other options to get in another letter from any faculty at home.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps you don't want to reveal exactly what surgical specialty you're talking about, but it might be important. For GS, letters from all audition rotations aren't important no one is going to wonder why you didn't submit one. That may not be the case for other specialties.

Why not sit down with the PD, explain your concerns that although it is a committee letter, perhaps you didn't live up to his expectations and that you are worried that will be reflected in your LOR. You want to know whether the letter will support your application. If he was nice to you outside the OR, I suspect its just a different style of teaching and there's no reason for concern.

Could you ask any other faculty there about how you will fare in the letter? That's another way to go about it.

I had a similar situation: I did an away originally for the purpose of getting a letter, but found that 1) the program was malignant and a poor fit and 2) I didn't need an additional letter after all ( I didn't realize 3 was enough for virtually all programs.) I thus opted not to ask for a letter for basically the same reasons described by the OP. Alas, if you don't have other options, I'd sit down with the guy for a frank discussion and ask if he can write you a strong letter. Surgeons aren't known for mincing words ;-) and if he happens to say no, I'd talk to your advisor about scrounging up one from somewhere else- surely a strong letter from someone outside the specialty is better than a weak letter from within it.

Reactions: 2 users
Because I never "effed up" it just seemed like a perceptive problem of mine

not messing up isn't enough for a good letter. Do not under any circumstances submit the letter unless the PD assures you that it will be a strong one.