LOR on away elective - worked w/att for 1 week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a GI rotation at Emory right now. I'm doing 2 weeks on the liver service and 2 weeks on the GI service and will have a different attending each week! One of the reasons I came here was to get a letter. Is it totally ridiculous to ask an attending I worked with for one week for a letter? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that as long as you worked with the attending relatively in depth, one week should be adequate time for a letter.

I'm doing a GI rotation at Emory right now. I'm doing 2 weeks on the liver service and 2 weeks on the GI service and will have a different attending each week! One of the reasons I came here was to get a letter. Is it totally ridiculous to ask an attending I worked with for one week for a letter? Thanks.

Just make sure that (1-week) is not mentioned in the letter. It may be looked at as negative...because usually it takes at least 4 weeks (on average) for the attending to know you well.

I got a great letter from an ICU attending on an away rotation that I worked with for about 10 days.

You won't know until you ask. :)