LOR / Chair Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIDO

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question regarding the application process. The ERAS application opens September 15th. I have LOR's from numerous physicians, but will not be able to take my formal Medicine sub-I / receive a "Chair" LOR until mid-October.

Is this a huge disadvantage? I would have other strong medicine letters and a complete application besides finishing my sub-I and getting a Chair LOR.

Thank you for time!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have a question regarding the application process. The ERAS application opens September 15th. I have LOR's from numerous physicians, but will not be able to take my formal Medicine sub-I / receive a "Chair" LOR until mid-October.

Is this a huge disadvantage? I would have other strong medicine letters and a complete application besides finishing my sub-I and getting a Chair LOR.

Thank you for time!

Apply on the 15th.

For almost every variant of this question, the answer is the same: apply on the 15th.

Apply on the 15th.

For almost every variant of this question, the answer is the same: apply on the 15th.

Most definitely - I guess my real question is whether the "Chair/Department" letter is crucial to receive top interviews. It would be submitted at earliest around the start - mid-October. I will have other very strong LORs from medicine physicians.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're still looking for some advice I'm in a similar boat. Check your programs out and find out how many letters they require (some only two, some all 4 is likely ok). If you are applying IM, I've heard from these forums as well as other sources, the Chair/Dept letter is very helpful, and if your Sub-I letter is strong, that is very helpful as well. Maybe for the programs that only want 2 letters, add one that you currently have and then add Chair or Sub-I later on, so your app doesnt look as incomplete. If all else fails, e-mail the program your situation.