Who to ask for last LOR? (for GI)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SandP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My other letter writers are good to go. One remaining. I have to pick between 2 others:

Option A: continuity clinic for last several years, sees me every y week, associate professor, USMD, kind, gives me 4/5s on written evals. not much opportunity to demonstrate clinical knowledge as he pre-charts notes and writes the plan ahead of time.

Option B: had him for couple weeks on a consult service. got 5/5 on written evaluations. submitted one case report, result pending, with him. assistant professor, IMG but did fellowship in US.

A>B in terms of someone other people at other programs might know.

Both are good guys who I don't think would try to screw me over. I think they both "know" me equally. Whom should I choose?

Members don't see this ad.

This is for GI fellowship? Where did they train? I would go for bigger name, and/or where you’re applying…..

My other letter writers are good to go. One remaining. I have to pick between 2 others:

Option A: continuity clinic for last several years, sees me every y week, associate professor, USMD, kind, gives me 4/5s on written evals. not much opportunity to demonstrate clinical knowledge as he pre-charts notes and writes the plan ahead of time.

Option B: had him for couple weeks on a consult service. got 5/5 on written evaluations. submitted one case report, result pending, with him. assistant professor, IMG but did fellowship in US.

Both are good guys who I don't think would try to screw me over. I think they both "know" me equally. Whom should I choose?

No one cares about whether the recommender is an IMG or not. This has literally zero weight.

My gut feeling if option B, because of better evaluations and case report experience

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Whoever has the most connections or is known by other GI Program directors. That person can speak on your behalf beyond writing a LOR. This might help if you happen to interview with a program that knows your letter writer.

Reactions: 1 user
No one cares about whether the recommender is an IMG or not. This has literally zero weight.

My gut feeling if option B, because of better evaluations and case report experience

Indeed! If he prejudges folks because they are IMG’s ( i.e. he is prejudiced) he is in the wrong field. How do these people even get into medical school?

Indeed! If he prejudges folks because they are IMG’s ( i.e. he is prejudiced) he is in the wrong field. How do these people even get into medical school?
I don't care about the IMG thing- I am just mentioning in case it matters to others.

I don't care about the IMG thing- I am just mentioning in case it matters to others.

It doesn’t, as it relates to anyone you should be interested in being around. If it does matter to someone, i’d give them a pass.

Get both.