Looking for an internship and being burnt out.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K_Jaq94

DVM C/o 2020
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else getting burnt out with internship searches. I've applied to multiple places, even flew across the country for an interview and it seems like they never come back with a response. Like they don't even say "thanks but no thanks". I'm looking for an equine/large animal internship and it's so fustrating to see all my classmates getting internships and I'm just over here waiting to see if any of the places are even going to communicate with me to tell me yes or no. I didn't do the match because most of them seemed academic but maybe now I should have. Is anyone else dealing with this or is it just me. How does one fly across the country on their own dime, interveiw and then never hear anything for 2 months all while this places is still posting an ad for an intern. Like was I not good enough? Are you waiting to see if something better comes along? I get lectured on the lack of interns and mental health in the profession and now I'm getting jerked around after every interview. Half of me wants to give up and just accept some GP small animal job. It's not what I want to do but I guess the equine/LA thing isn't really working out either.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else getting burnt out with internship searches. I've applied to multiple places, even flew across the country for an interview and it seems like they never come back with a response. Like they don't even say "thanks but no thanks". I'm looking for an equine/large animal internship and it's so fustrating to see all my classmates getting internships and I'm just over here waiting to see if any of the places are even going to communicate with me to tell me yes or no. I didn't do the match because most of them seemed academic but maybe now I should have. Is anyone else dealing with this or is it just me. How does one fly across the country on their own dime, interveiw and then never hear anything for 2 months all while this places is still posting an ad for an intern. Like was I not good enough? Are you waiting to see if something better comes along? I get lectured on the lack of interns and mental health in the profession and now I'm getting jerked around after every interview. Half of me wants to give up and just accept some GP small animal job. It's not what I want to do but I guess the equine/LA thing isn't really working out either.
If you don't hear, you can always see open spots from match after they are released. You don't have to have applied originally to try again. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Are you looking in specific geographic areas? Have you externed at these places? Many of the equine hospitals require you to extern there first, and most of the big equine hospitals choose their interns around October. There's always some shuffling after that date as people with multiple offers make decisions, but at this point the ones with open intern positions would probably know it. Are you using AAEP Avenues to look for positions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you looking in specific geographic areas? Have you externed at these places? Many of the equine hospitals require you to extern there first, and most of the big equine hospitals choose their interns around October. There's always some shuffling after that date as people with multiple offers make decisions, but at this point the ones with open intern positions would probably know it. Are you using AAEP Avenues to look for positions?
Yes, all of this.

Usual timeline for equine internships: extern at multiple clinics offering internships that you are interested in sometime from April to before Labor Day, preferably as a fourth year. Apply for the internships you would like in September-ish (all have a different deadline, usually October 1-15, this info is posted on AAEP avenues). Most private practices select their interns in October or earlier. If you do not get an offer from a private practice, you can either go into the match for an academic position, or try to snag an un-filled private practice position.

So, at this point, your options have been narrowed slightly since the window for first-round private practice internships and the match is past (but there's still hope!). If you search the AAEP avenues site, there are still 2020-21 equine internships available that were un-filled in traditional timeline. However, it's now up to you to invest the time and money into traveling to interview. Do your research ahead of time and only travel to places you think you'd really like to intern. Afterwards send a thank-you email letting them know you appreciated their time, etc AND letting them know that you're interested in a position.

Thanks everyone. I did go to some places for externships and applied. I emailed a few that didn't require an externship but I went out and interviewed there anyway. I think what threw me was how they would say they would get back to me so I took that as they would let me know if they wanted me or not. Now I just feel really stupid for not contacting them a few days after to let them know I'm still interested. I always thought I wanted equine surgery or IM but now I'm leaning towards Equine/LA mix either ambulatory or IM. I think I'm just in this really confusing mess of "this is what I want to do but I don't feel like I could get a job right out of school in this field so that's why I need an internship". I emailed the most recent place that I interviewed at (and really liked) and they said they would let me know this week. I think this is also the week match comes out? I think I'm just having a mental crisis because all my friends (mostly small animal but some LA/equine) have gotten internships and jobs and I'm still applying and looking. Some have even gotten offeres while being there for rotations. My professor says she gets emails all the time from practices that don't get interns by May so I could wait and see what happens then too.

I know of a couple equine hospitals still looking - they're out there. You might need to cast a wider net/expand your geographic area.