This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WAMCthrowaway

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out which school to rank higher on TMDSAS. I could find only one post about this from 2018. Now that 4 years have passed and Dell has become more established, I'm curious to hear other opinions on this comparison. Personally, I found the culture/ vibe at both schools to be among the best in Texas. I'm not a dual degree seeking applicant, but Dell's 3rd year research option should have very high utility if I decide to pursue a competitive specialty. In any case, both schools seems to match very well (of note, I haven't seen ENT match at Dell yet, which is a specialty I'm interested in). Austin and San Antonio seem like very desirable places to live, though Austin has a notably higher COL, which could be a concern. In any case, what are you thoughts? If current students at either school could comment on some pros/ cons, that would be a huge help.

Many thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I would also like to hear about Long and Dell. Thanks.
OP , the match list is v imp and would be a driving factor for me if I have interest in a particular specialty.

Match lists are really hard to appraise without having information on applicant preferences, especially for a class size as small as Dell’s. If you like the vibes, curricula, and locations of both places then consider the residency training programs available at each place.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Long has the better medical scene and will see more pathology. Been around for 60+ years and is well established in the state and around the country. 200+ class size.

Dell is the new school but slowly making a name for itself. From what I’ve heard has a cool curriculum. Cool city. Probably more of a desirable city than SA depending on who you ask. Smaller class size.

Reactions: 1 user
Match lists are really hard to appraise without having information on applicant preferences, especially for a class size as small as Dell’s. If you like the vibes, curricula, and locations of both places then consider the residency training programs available at each place.
How do you find out about residency training program.

How do you find out about residency training program.
Go to the website of the med school you are curious about, search GME (Graduate medical education) and you should see a list of what fields that school has residencies in.
You don't have to do your residency, of course, at the med school you attended, but if there is a residency established for your field of interest then there will be more opportunities to learn and do rotations during med school.

Reactions: 1 users