Help me rank: UTRGV vs TCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happy&hungry

Reaction score
This is a very difficult decision for me and I'm wanting some outside opinions/thoughts. I am a TX resident and have to decide how I'll rank these two schools (Univ. of Texas Rio Grande Valley vs Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine).

If TCOM was an MD school, I'd choose it in a heartbeat. But it's not, and that is a factor in my decision as I do plan to apply to more competitive residencies and will take both COMLEX and STEP if I go DO.

Basically what this decision is coming down to is: do I rank an incredible DO school (great location, well-established, well-connected, great opportunities etc) higher than an okay MD school (location not ideal for me, pretty new/just got accredited, lower performance rates, etc)?

For what it's worth, I've been to both schools physically but have interacted wayyy more with TCOM, so I don't have an equal opportunity grasp/perspective on them. Any input would be appreciated!!

My final thought: as someone who went in to this process wondering if I would even get one II, I am extremely grateful to have to make this decision! To anyone who is feeling discouraged, YOU CAN DO THIS. <3

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Always MD over DO. This point is reinforced in my mind as I am currently applying a surgical subspecialty, and the DO bias is astounding.

Reactions: 2 users
what do you have pending?

In texas they have accepted tcom as a peer to established schools. However, if you want to leave texas for residency, an MD is always better.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Struggling with this decision too!

TCOM would provide me a lot in terms of staying near my family and friends and its culture after visiting multiple times seems like I would be right at home (while literally being able to save money staying at home). Absolutely love the curriculum and honestly I like the idea of learning OMM.

But the thought of not having to take double board exams to match competitively sounds nice truthfully. 😭

• Care
I have had 3 interviews at Texas programs (mid to low tier programs for a surgical subspecialty), and there have been UTRGV applicants at each one. I have not met a TCOM (or any other DO) interviewee despite it being a much larger school.

Reactions: 2 users
I have had 3 interviews at Texas programs (mid to low tier programs for a surgical subspecialty), and there have been UTRGV applicants at each one. I have not met a TCOM (or any other DO) interviewee despite it being a much larger school.
That's really good to know, I appreciate the input :)

what do you have pending?

In texas they have accepted tcom as a peer to established schools. However, if you want to leave texas for residency, an MD is always better.
my goal is to stay in TX for residency as well. if by "pending" you mean what other school options I have, I've interviewed at A&M, UTMB (my #1 and 2 choices atm) and then TCOM (prematch) and UTRGV.

my goal is to stay in TX for residency as well. if by "pending" you mean what other school options I have, I've interviewed at A&M, UTMB (my #1 and 2 choices atm) and then TCOM (prematch) and UTRGV.
So it is not a big issue that you have to decide right now since there are 2 other schools pending and you can rank them higher if nothing materializes before match. it is only during match you have to decide which one you want to retain.

UTMB hasnt admitted anyone yet.

So it is not a big issue that you have to decide right now since there are 2 other schools pending and you can rank them higher if nothing materializes before match. it is only during match you have to decide which one you want to retain.

UTMB hasnt admitted anyone yet.
The last thing to consider is that you might not end up at the school you ranked #1.
If there’s a school you “ least want “, rank it last

The last thing to consider is that you might not end up at the school you ranked #1.
If there’s a school you “ least want “, rank it last
They have only 2 schools to rank - last and - second to last here!

In theory UTMB and A&M will be number 1 and 2 while they need to pick which one goes 3 since they lose 4.

They have only 2 schools to rank - last and - second to last here!

In theory UTMB and A&M will be number 1 and 2 while they need to pick which one goes 3 since they lose 4.
Yep exactly! Right now i'll rank A&M and UTMB in the 1/2 spots, my dilemma is how I will rank RGV vs TCOM in those 3/4 spots.

To @wysdoc 's point, I def dont want to rely on getting my 1/2 choices, so I'm giving my 3/4 rank decision a lot of thought and attention.

Hello! I know I am a little bit late to this thread but I am having the same dilemma

My understanding is that UTRGV has no teaching hospital? I also feel that TCOM has a much better network. The location is much better for TCOM due to family and I may be the oddball and say I prefer a bigger class size.

The only reason why I would rank UTRGV over TCOM is because it’s MD, which I know is a big reason hence why I am stumped as well. I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Last edited:
Hello! I know I am a little bit late to this thread but I am having the same dilemma

My understanding is that UTRGV has no teaching hospital? I also feel that TCOM has a much better network. The location is much better for TCOM due to family and I may be the oddball and say I prefer a bigger class size.

The only reason why I would rank UTRGV over TCOM is because it’s MD, which I know is a big reason hence why I am stumped as well. I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Yeah whatever the academic center was that they had got shut down apparently. So students have to travel for their rotations. The student that interviewed me said she currently drives 40 miles each way for her surgery rotation. I'm still going back and forth, the better school overall is TCOM imo, so it's gonna come down to how much does MD/DO matter to you.

here's a discussion from earlier this year if you havent seen it: TCOM vs UTRGV

Yeah whatever the academic center was that they had got shut down apparently. So students have to travel for their rotations. The student that interviewed me said she currently drives 40 miles each way for her surgery rotation. I'm still going back and forth, the better school overall is TCOM imo, so it's gonna come down to how much does MD/DO matter to you.

here's a discussion from earlier this year if you havent seen it: TCOM vs UTRGV
Their academic center was not shut down. Doctor's Hospital at Renaissance cut ties with UTRGV for controversial reasons. The students rotate at various primary care sites and Knapp Medical Center (their teaching hospital) in Weslaco. Weslaco is about a 30-minute drive from UTRGV's campus, but when you are in your rotations, you may want to move closer to Weslaco and out of Edinburg to avoid the commute. It's important to note that UTRGV does not have a department for every specialty. I know someone interested in Ortho who goes there, and they had to work with outside faculty at Long to do Ortho research and get rotation experience. I'm unsure if TCOM has every specialty you may be interested in. I would look into that.

Last edited:
  • Love
Their academic center was not shut down. They just cut ties with the hospital (Doctor's Hospital at Renaissance) because it was for-profit and did not align with UTRGV's mission.
This is not the way this went down. DHR withdrew from affiliation with UTRGV for reasons of its own, it was not a UTRGV-initiated split.
DHR has discontinued some of its residency programs now and has re-established some of them again, as an independent hospital now and with no affiliation with any medical school.
The only possible teaching hospitals at the moment for UTRGV students are Valley Baptist Harlingen, several inpatient mental health facilities, and possibly Rio Grande Regional Hospital in McAllen. Students can also rotate at VA outpatient clinics.

This is not the way this went down. DHR withdrew from affiliation with UTRGV for reasons of its own, it was not a UTRGV-initiated split.
Yes, you are right. However, seems that the reason for the split was that the two parties did not see eye-to-eye regarding their missions. Bailey responds to DHR statements - The Rider Newspaper

DHR refutes that, but I tend to side with UTRGV's viewpoint: that it was largely a mission fit/financial issue due to DHR's, we will say, "interesting" history and association with politics in the RGV, but that's a discussion for another place and time.

Yes, you are right. However, seems that the reason for the split was that the two parties did not see eye-to-eye regarding their missions. Bailey responds to DHR statements - The Rider Newspaper

DHR refutes that, but I tend to side with UTRGV's viewpoint: that it was largely a mission fit/financial issue due to DHR's, we will say, "interesting" history and association with politics in the RGV, but that's a discussion for another place and time.
Bailey is good at spin but at the time DHR cut ties, UTRGV was NOT yet fully accredited and was still in the provisional accreditation level.

Their academic center was not shut down. Doctor's Hospital at Renaissance cut ties with UTRGV for controversial reasons. The students rotate at various primary care sites and Knapp Medical Center (their teaching hospital) in Weslaco. Weslaco is about a 30-minute drive from UTRGV's campus, but when you are in your rotations, you may want to move closer to Weslaco and out of Edinburg to avoid the commute. It's important to note that UTRGV does not have a department for every specialty. I know someone interested in Ortho who goes there, and they had to work with outside faculty at Long to do Ortho research and get rotation experience. I'm unsure if TCOM has every specialty you may be interested in. I would look into that.
Great to see you participating. How are you all doing in that foreign state away from Texas. :) How do you both like your schools?

thank you so much for your insights! I suppose "shut down" was not the proper phrase, rather "de-affiliated". I'll take a look at what opps TCOM has for surgical subspecialties. thanks again :)

Great to see you participating. How are you all doing in that foreign state away from Texas. :) How do you both like your schools?

First quarter was pretty good after the initial adjustments. I don't think we have anything to complain about regarding our schools. We are very happy

• Love