LOI to overcome yield protection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brain Whisperer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, since I'm an international, I'm applying to many schools where my MCAT and GPA falls above 90% percentile. However, I really wanted to enter a specific DO program as it is in a location that I plan on moving to. Now, I've seen people who were complete much later get IIs indicating that I was passed over, but in case it was just yield protection, can I send a LOI to show them that I genuinely want to go there? Just wanted to state that I'm not trying to humblebrag or anything, I just want to enter that program. Appreciate any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

An LOI is useless until after an interview and may still be useless even after. Some school will not even accept them. If you applied then they assume you would attend if offered, if you interview same thing. if you get on the wait list perhaps a letter may be advantageous at that time.

An LOI is useless until after an interview and may still be useless even after. Some school will not even accept them. If you applied then they assume you would attend if offered, if you interview same thing. if you get on the wait list perhaps a letter may be advantageous at that time.
This is generally true but if there was no option to explain special interests in the secondary, then a letter explaining such circumstances (such as geographical reasons for ranking the school above others) may be of some value, especially at a school below one's stat levels. Of course if the school doesn't even accept letters pre-interview then the thread is moot

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile

Hi guys, since I'm an international, I'm applying to many schools where my MCAT and GPA falls above 90% percentile. However, I really wanted to enter a specific DO program as it is in a location that I plan on moving to. Now, I've seen people who were complete much later get IIs indicating that I was passed over, but in case it was just yield protection, can I send a LOI to show them that I genuinely want to go there? Just wanted to state that I'm not trying to humblebrag or anything, I just want to enter that program. Appreciate any responses.
DO schools don't do "yield protection". Actually, the term is resource protection, and is a phenomenon seen at mission based schools where they know that candidates with certain high stats are more likely to go elsewhere due to historical data.

My school interviews people with Harvard/Stanford stats, and accepts them as well.

Send the LOI after you move. Words are easy, doing is harder.