Do DO schools use yield protection like MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beachbum75

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to both MD and DO programs (mostly MD) and have relatively competitive scores for MD admission. Will DO schools assume I am applying there as a "safety school" and therefore reject me because they think I wouldn't actually attend?

Members don't see this ad.

Possibly.

My gf had a 508 MCAT and 4.0 GPA - too low for MD, too high for DO.

She netted several acceptances in the end (1 MD and 2 or 3 DO), however I think she felt bc her stats were btwn both allopathic and osteopathic averages, she was sort of pushed aside.

She ended up going DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Possibly.

She netted several acceptances in the end (1 MD and 2 or 3 DO), however I think she felt bc her stats were btwn both allopathic and osteopathic averages, she was sort of pushed aside.

She ended up going DO.

My stats were almost identical (508/3.89), but I only applied to TCOM through TMDSAS so n=1...

I got a very early interview the literal same day that my application was complete and matched on match day (I did NOT receive a pre-match acceptance and know many people with lower stats who did).

Do what you will with this anecdote.

Possibly.

She ended up going DO.
Let's put a stake in this notion: There is no such thing as "too high for DO".

Reactions: 6 users
Possibly.

She ended up going DO.

You sir just blew the minds of all SDN gunners. Taking a DO acceptance over an MD? Suicidal!
I don't agree with the SDN sentiment FYI

Reactions: 1 user
You sir just blew the minds of all SDN gunners. Taking a DO acceptance over an MD? Suicidal!
I don't agree with the SDN sentiment FYI
When you mix mental health (city she'd be happier in) + knowing she could get a 230+ on boards to net an academic IM residency, you don't rly care where you go and make a logical choice.

And I'm so glad she did, bc I never would have met her <33.

When you mix mental health (city she'd be happier in) + knowing she could get a 230+ on boards to net an academic IM residency, you don't rly care where you go and make a logical choice.

And I'm so glad she did, bc I never would have met her <33.

I opted DO over MD for similar reasons.

Reactions: 1 users
3.6/519 with DO acceptance here. Maybe some DO schools yield protect, but certainly not all of them.

I opted DO over MD for similar reasons.
Although I didn't have the option to go MD; I chose my school over a "top 3 established DO schools" bc of location preference and 3rd year rotations hospital/city.

I've always tended to prefer a move farther from home. I perform better and stay more focused. I know this mentality isn't a common one but it works for me. Also, I am now lucky enough to be in Charleston for rotations, which was another reason I chose my current school.