Logging cases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ESU_MD

Old School
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When logging your cases, how thorough do you be as an intern with 1st assist cases or "lump & bump" jobs?

for instance if I assist on an avg of 10-15 cases/wk that will eventually add up quite abit over 5 yrs.

i guess the question really is do the 1st assist cases even matter toward your final case numbers or is it mainly chief year and surgeon jr that count towards the ~1000 total goal

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No they don't count. I think you do need more then zero listed though when you submit your log for the ABS. Same thing for teaching assistant cases, I don't think there's a specific #, but it can't be zero

Recording some of the first-assist cases is important as droliver noted. Maybe not as much for some of the lump and bump cases, but moreso for bigger cases.

One graduate from my program last year indicated that for some of the bigger vascular cases that we get to first assist on as PGY-1's and 2's at my program, like aortas and distal bypasses, made some difference in the credentialling that to do when he started his job. I am sure that it isn't nearly as important as logging the junior and chief surgeon cases, but I guess it does play into it in some people's eyes.