Locums?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plutarch02

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be graduating fellowship next year and I'm interviewing at jobs currently. I'm single in my early 30s and have lived in rural areas before and am perfectly willing to move often. From what I'm seeing on the locums market now it seems the demand for oncologists is red hot, seeing offers between $3,000-5,000/d depending on the need of the locations. What I'd like to know is if I did locums out of fellowship would this be a red flag for future practices if I eventually wanted to settle down? Could it blacklist me from the field? And are there people who can just make a career out of doing locums for multiple years?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It won't blacklist you. But it can be hard as a new grad starting off in what will likely be a solo (or nearly solo) practice in an environment that likely doesn't have a lot of support. Not saying you can't (or shouldn't) do it, but you need to know what you're up against and be honest with yourself about whether it's the right thing for you.

Personally, I can see myself being successful in a locums capacity now, at 10 years out, but would have absolutely floundered and failed miserably as a new grade. YMMV of course.

It's hard enough to build a new panel that you know from day 1. Imagine trying to figure out what to do with patients who've been through prior lines of therapy and 50% being "social determinants of healthcare" patients that you have to figure out logistics and social things for on top of cancer. I mostly see older guys in the twilight of their career doing locums in oncology.

There are so many jobs out there today where you can have a normal job making 15k a week anyway. Just look at ASCO job posts etc. Assume as locums you'll line up 40 weeks of work a year which is pretty decent. That's 600k in 1099 income. Why not just take a 500-600k RVU based W2 job at that rate and not have to worry about your locums contracts? I don't think oncology is a field where locums pays you a lot more than your regular ol' job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe should have made my own thread but in a similar spirit, would working at a VA for a few (maybe 1-3) years post-fellowship be a red flag for private practice later down the road? Due to family reasons I am looking in an area that we don't plan to settle down long term, and I feel like taking a PP track/Employed job might burn bridges if I left after a year or two.

Maybe should have made my own thread but in a similar spirit, would working at a VA for a few (maybe 1-3) years post-fellowship be a red flag for private practice later down the road? Due to family reasons I am looking in an area that we don't plan to settle down long term, and I feel like taking a PP track/Employed job might burn bridges if I left after a year or two.
I work in the VA and am very happy with my job. I have an excellent work-life balance. I get ~315K for 2 half-day clinics (pt volume 6-8). Call every 4 months, fellows take the call. No weekend. Plenty of PTO, and benefits.

No. VA is actually a nice slow roll into a community based gig. And as a hiring doc, I have no concerns when people take jobs for family reasons and when those reasons change, are ready to move.

Reactions: 1 user
I work in the VA and am very happy with my job. I have an excellent work-life balance. I get ~315K for 2 half-day clinics (pt volume 6-8). Call every 4 months, fellows take the call. No weekend. Plenty of PTO, and benefits.
How do you spend the other 80% of your week?

Studying for boards!

Studying for boards!
I wish i have time to do even some Q banks. My panel has been expanding at an alarming rate from the second week of July. Hard to keep up

Sounds like a good problem to have IMO
I agree after so many sacrifices and years of patiently waiting for this moment. I hear it takes some time to be on cruise control mode and have enough breathing room.

Reactions: 1 user
You work only 2 half days? So one full day per week makes you 315k per year? Am I understanding that correctly?

You work only 2 half days? So one full day per week makes you 315k per year? Am I understanding that correctly?
Nope.
"I work in the VA and am very happy with my job. I have an excellent work-life balance. I get ~315K for 2 half-day clinics (pt volume 6-8). Call every 4 months, fellows take the call. No weekend. Plenty of PTO, and benefits."

I work 40 hours/week like any full-time federal job but have 2 half-day clinics. Rest of my work hours I do qbank, review lab/imaging, and call pts with the results and plenty of time/opportunity for clinical research if you are interested. Hope that helps

Reactions: 2 users
Nope.
"I work in the VA and am very happy with my job. I have an excellent work-life balance. I get ~315K for 2 half-day clinics (pt volume 6-8). Call every 4 months, fellows take the call. No weekend. Plenty of PTO, and benefits."

I work 40 hours/week like any full-time federal job but have 2 half-day clinics. Rest of my work hours I do qbank, review lab/imaging, and call pts with the results and plenty of time/opportunity for clinical research if you are interested. Hope that helps
Is there an expectation of doing research or truly only if you're interested? Considering the other things are what most oncologists are doing on top of 4-4.5 clinic days per week (although admittedly with more pay).