heme/onc locums

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdocdocdocdocdoc

Reaction score
Anybody here do heme/onc locums work? Could you tell me about what it's like? (salary, working conditions, pain of medical licensing in multiple states) How long are the gigs usually? (1 day, 1 week, 1 month etc.) Any market for single-boarded med onc locums?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody here do heme/onc locums work? Could you tell me about what it's like? (salary, working conditions, pain of medical licensing in multiple states) How long are the gigs usually? (1 day, 1 week, 1 month etc.) Any market for single-boarded med onc locums?
I get roughly 2 dozen emails a day offering a variety of locums positions ranging from 1 week to "ongoing". Call is usually expected. Comp for agency jobs typically runs in the $3000-3500/d range, at least around here. This includes malpractice and credentialing fees. It's 1099 income and doesn't include any "benefits" like health/disability/life insurance, PTO, 401k, etc.

I have worked with a number of locums oncologists in the past. One of them wasn't terrible.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I have worked with a number of locums oncologists in the past. One of them wasn't terrible.
Is this mostly inpatient work to cover a gap in the schedule? What did these locums docs say was their reason for working locums?

It seems like a totally weird situation in Onc that goes against the reasons most people enter the field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this mostly inpatient work to cover a gap in the schedule? What did these locums docs say was their reason for working locums?
People work locums in all fields for a variety of reasons. I am personally considering it, 15-20 years down the road as a transition to retirement. But a lot of the locums docs I've interacted with have done it because they can't hold down a regular job d/t personality issues.
It seems like a totally weird situation in Onc that goes against the reasons most people enter the field.
Why you went into the field, and why some other people went into the field, are likely radically different.

Reactions: 1 user
I have credentialed a number of locums and one of them was not terrible. Perhaps we are talking about the same person.
About 2 years ago, someone suggested we engage a locums doc to help cover a few months between a physician retiring and a new one coming onboard. I gave up all of my administrative time to cover that clinic so we could avoid locums.

Reactions: 1 user