Locks??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rootsdr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had dreadlocks for a few years now...they have a spirtual meaning to me. Do you think that they will be a problem with my residency search?? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
For some conservative residencies, your locks are going to be a problem especially if they are wild (read Rasta). If your locks are neat, most folks who live in the 21st century don't have a problem with them. A couple of my classmates decided to cut their locks even though they were very neat. They grew them back after they matched.

I didn't have locks during medical school but I am growing mine out now. I am in a very conservative residency program but my locks are neat and well groomed.

Good luck!
njbmd :D

Just out of curiosity, mind sharing their significance to you? Would it be enough justification during an interview? (Meaning, would the interviewer likely understand?)

The significance of locks means something different to many people. I don't know if this is the right venue to start posting my beliefs. I have strongly been considering doing an EM residency...these are not considered conservative are they? I would really hate to cut them. Do you wear your locks up in a tam? Tied back? I am glad to hear that this is not a big deal. :thumbup:

rootsdr said:
The significance of locks means something different to many people. I don't know if this is the right venue to start posting my beliefs. I have strongly been considering doing an EM residency...these are not considered conservative are they? I would really hate to cut them. Do you wear your locks up in a tam? Tied back? I am glad to hear that this is not a big deal. :thumbup:

Well, for EM you've at least picked a specialty where showing up in suit & tie and looking GQ is not at all important. I've seen at least three EM residents and one attending with locks and none of them covered up or tied back.

Whatever you do don't lose those friggen dreadlocks. I'd drop out of medicine before choppen those off. Seriously.

I met an ortho guy at UW who had massive locks. Just wore two hair caps to keep em covered in the OR.

Thanks everyone. Just the attitude I was hoping for! Strange world we live in...it's nice that some things are still sacred.

rootsdr said:

You've got no worries with the locks in EM - wear em with pride. Folks in EM are pretty much cool with anything.

Great! Thanks for all of the responses. I was not expecting such a positive attitude. It's really just long hair...with a lot more conciousness.

rootsdr said:
Great! Thanks for all of the responses. I was not expecting such a positive attitude. It's really just long hair...with a lot more conciousness.

Most what I've seen with docs w/locks is pulled back - I haven't seen the short/tight like Yannick Noah, but long, and so, people put 'em in a ring. The only folks I've seen wearing the tam in hospital are a few of the environmental workers. There was a guy I worked with when I was a student, who is now an EM resident in Chicago, who had locks that any man would be proud of, and he wore them back loosely. One of our chief residents doesn't have locks per se, but a tight weave and braids, and she also wears them back (ironically, she and the guy I mention above were med school classmates, which I didn't know).

Thanks guys/gals...I will let them grow proudly. Good luck to you all...maybe we will cross paths one day...blessings...rootsdr.

Emergency Medicine has traditionally been a fairly liberated field. Unless you get some old crusty geezer for an interviewer, I doubt they'll hurt.

If anything, they may actually help at your interviews. Bottom line: keep the locks. We want the legions of hip medical school grads to join our specialty...locks in tow.