Loans! Help Please........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrSexyLatinDr21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello amigos/as

The reason I am posting this on pre-allo is because there isnt much movement on the financial aid forum. So this is my question: Any of you guys know where I can get a private student loan where I dont have to pay the principal or interest rate until I am done with schooling? I contacted my school F.A. office and it wasn't of much help. They do have stafford loans and stuff, but I was just wondering if you guys knew of any places, websites, anywhere I can get a private loan like I said. Well, I hope you guys can help me here...

Muchas Gracias

Eduardo

Members don't see this ad.

The only loans allowing deferment of payment (as far as I know) are the stafford-like (subsidized and non-subsidized) federal student loans. Private loans will make you start repaying right away.

Eduardo, it isn't clear if you mean deferring during residency or simply paying after you are done with med school. I am pretty sure any educational loan (even private ones) would only except you to be able to pay it back after you are done with school. However, private loans probably will not let you defer payments until after residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Eduardo.
I know that T.H.E. has a private med student loan that begins repayment 42 months after you graduate. HOWEVER...you need to take out all your Staffords, etc., with them. Also, if you are borrowing the max budget according to your school, you may not be eligible to take a private ed loan. Go to the T.H.E. website (lok up Total Higher Education on Google) or call 1-888-843-0004. I think they can tell you if they deal with your school and what the stipulations are.

Private loans do not require you to pay interest as you go. CitiBank offers alternative private loans in which you dont have to pay the loan or interest until you graduate. But take note that the unpaid interest adds up and goes on your loan balance. Most banks offer these loans. Try Fleet, Chase, and Washington mutual as well. Check out the websites.