Loan Concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flotus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I know we are supposed to receive full COA in loans. Unsubsidized first, then grad plus for any extra (and HP loans, but I don’t qualify for those since I can’t get my parents info).

Any way, I got my first financial aid package from one of the institutions today and this message is in my to-do list:

“The Department of Education has indicated that, based upon your dependency status and/or your grade level, you may have exceeded the loan limits established for the federal loan programs. We are reviewing your information and will notify you if additional documentation is required. Allow four weeks for this review to be completed.”

Does this mean I won’t get loans for my education? I only have 50k in undergrad loans. Or does this just mean I won’t get unsub loans and have to go straight to grad plus? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet is to call the schools financial aid office on Monday morning when they first open. Crossing my fingers that something just glitched in the system 🤞🏼

Reactions: 2 users
Your best bet is to call the schools financial aid office on Monday morning when they first open. Crossing my fingers that something just glitched in the system 🤞🏼
Yeah I did max my undergrad loans, so I wonder if it says that because of my undergrad loans but should go away once I enroll in a professional program.

since I only have 50k in loans, I can’t imagine not being able to get more for professional school. Either way, if I can’t get loans then I can’t go to school lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I did max my undergrad loans, so I wonder if it says that because of my undergrad loans but should go away once I enroll in a professional program.

since I only have 50k in loans, I can’t imagine not being able to get more for professional school. Either way, if I can’t get loans then I can’t go to school lol
I’m hoping something maybe just got entered wrong and it can get fixed quickly🤞🏼 Most people also come into vet school with undergrad loans, so I can’t imagine them denying you randomly when a lot of vet students have the same thing. I assume you didn’t put yourself as a dependent of your parents on FAFSA (since you didn’t have their info to begin with) instead of independent?
Your 50k hasn’t even reached the aggregate loan amount for undergrad loans or grad loans (according to the numbers on the student aid website) so I wouldn’t think that would be an issue

Reactions: 1 users
I’m hoping something maybe just got entered wrong and it can get fixed quickly🤞🏼 Most people also come into vet school with undergrad loans, so I can’t imagine them denying you randomly when a lot of vet students have the same thing. I assume you didn’t put yourself as a dependent of your parents on FAFSA (since you didn’t have their info to begin with) instead of independent?
Your 50k hasn’t even reached the aggregate loan amount for undergrad loans or grad loans (according to the numbers on the student aid website) so I wouldn’t think that would be an issue
I hope so too. I think it’s right at the max amount like 54 or something. I stayed an extra year in undergrad so I had to take out the max or very close to it for undergrad.

Im not a dependent! I wasn’t a dependent in undergrad either because I was considered “homeless youth” so I got the full grants and aid awards.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope so too. I think it’s right at the max amount like 54 or something. I stayed an extra year in undergrad so I had to take out the max or very close to it for undergrad.

Im not a dependent! I wasn’t a dependent in undergrad either because I was considered “homeless youth” so I got the full grants and aid awards.
yeah, which that 54k amount is still muuuch lower than they list for the grad and undergrad combined limit for direct sub/unsub loans

• Care
Reactions: 1 user

Any chance your parents listed you as a dependent without your knowledge?

Reactions: 1 users
Any chance your parents listed you as a dependent without your knowledge?
No chance! One doesn’t file taxes and I am no contact with the other and have been independent since 16