LMU-DCOM Class of 2014!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
[/QUOTE] my name starts with a P, both first and last name. does that help?[/QUOTE]

Ohhh got it. KP here :D Enjoy the rest of your break!

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone who was accepted explain how they paid their deposit and how they knew exactly when to start the 30 days we have to reply? Thankssss

your 30 days should start from the date of your official acceptance letter (that's what i recall being told last year, anyway...)

call Janette. she worked out a payment plan with me (four installments, $500 each, over 3 months) bc i was unable to pay the full amount at once and i didn't want to hassle my parents for a loan :) Janette sounded like she's used to fielding requests like this - she simply told me to write out a payment plan and send that in to her (email was fine) with an initial payment and a statement of intent to matriculate. depending on the competitiveness of this year's applicant pool, and how busy she is on the day you call her, this policy might vary... but i'm pretty sure if you let them know you're excited about attending, the admin office is willing to work something out with you. if you're paying in installments, however, i would definitely check in regularly with Amy Arnold to make sure they were received - one of mine almost got sent to the undergrad admin office.

good luck!

The list of rotation sites given out at interviews is slightly confusing...some of them are listed as "Core Sites" and others are listed as "Community Sites." I know there is a concerted effort made so that students only have to move once for rotations and I know that Core stuff is technically listed as 3rd year stuff and community hospital rotations are in the 4th year. My question is this though: the community hospital sites are much more numerous and fairly widespread, so do they just try to set you up with the ones closest to your core site? Hopefully that makes sense...

Members don't see this ad :)
The list of rotation sites given out at interviews is slightly confusing...some of them are listed as "Core Sites" and others are listed as "Community Sites." I know there is a concerted effort made so that students only have to move once for rotations and I know that Core stuff is technically listed as 3rd year stuff and community hospital rotations are in the 4th year. My question is this though: the community hospital sites are much more numerous and fairly widespread, so do they just try to set you up with the ones closest to your core site? Hopefully that makes sense...

The community sites will be within 60 miles of your core rotation. But most of the time they will only be minutes away.

The community sites will be within 60 miles of your core rotation. But most of the time they will only be minutes away.
Awesome thanks. To make it make more sense, I am trying to figure out which state to live in (KY or TN), the best place to live, etc. Factoring into is my significant other needing to establish residency to go to school for instate or potentially attempting a state CC. This stuff is hard to plan 5 1/2 hours away! :)

Looking foward to starting at DCOM this fall. Wasn't expecting such an early start but very exciting no the less. Cant wait to meet my future class-mates.

Anyone considering living in the LMU apartments?

Grace-
In regards of where to live, here is something to think about. Myself and my gf plan to get an apartment in Knoxville (northern part) and then I will rent one of the mediapartments as well so that I can stay/study there during the week and come "home" on the weekends. This will hopefully work best for us as she will be going to UT.

Also, seeing as some of the rotation sites are either very near knoxville or within 20 mins having the apartment in Knoxville might be able to be a permanent residence throughout the four years...

Grace-
In regards of where to live, here is something to think about. Myself and my gf plan to get an apartment in Knoxville (northern part) and then I will rent one of the mediapartments as well so that I can stay/study there during the week and come "home" on the weekends. This will hopefully work best for us as she will be going to UT.

I am a second year at DCOM and live in knoxville. I live on the north side and drive to school for labs/OSCE's. However, I lived in the student apartments the first year because you have to be at shcool much more than you do in second year, mainly for anatomy and EPC during the first semester. I think getting an apartment at LMU is a great idea especially since it is fairly cheap. It would be even cheaper if you could find a couple classmates to spit a room with you.

Also, seeing as some of the rotation sites are either very near knoxville or within 20 mins having the apartment in Knoxville might be able to be a permanent residence throughout the four years...

Only 1 core rotation site is in Knoxville. The others are anywhere from 1.5 hours away to 8 hours away in Memphis. http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/academics/sites.shtml

If you want to make Knoxville your home base, you better hope that you get Knoxville as your core site or you will have to move again.

Are you able to request where to go for core sites? My husband and I are trying to avoid selling the house and I am hoping my core site is within 60 miles of home. Thanks!

Are you able to request where to go for core sites? My husband and I are trying to avoid selling the house and I am hoping my core site is within 60 miles of home. Thanks!

It is a lottery system. You enter your first 50 choices (most core sites have 24 schedules, mixes of when you have each specialty), then the computer spins and you get your assignment. Most people get top10 choices but some get shafted with a low low choice.

Oh and they strongly suggest moving to your CORE site as you will most likely take call at some point.

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife and I will be coming up to DCOM in March to start our search for a house. The fact that most of the rotation sites are not "close" makes me think it would be better to rent for those 1st two years. However looking online has been dissheartening at best. Any suggestions as to where to start our hunt? Kent.

My wife and I will be coming up to DCOM in March to start our search for a house. The fact that most of the rotation sites are not "close" makes me think it would be better to rent for those 1st two years. However looking online has been dissheartening at best. Any suggestions as to where to start our hunt? Kent.

There are plenty of nice homes to rent out here, but hardly any of them are listed online. The best thing to do is pick up a copy of local rentals (you know those little booklets) when you're up here. We have some at the front desk at DCOM.

Just driving around the area you will see some for rent signs. Also, talk to some of the local folks at the coffee shop, etc. You'll find something!

If you're interested in building equity (which could go a long way later once you have to start paying loans back), you could buy a house now and then rent it out to students after you leave for rotations.

DCOMDO.com has some classifieds in the lower left where you can see places for rent/to buy. Houses and Apartments combined.

It is a lottery system. You enter your first 50 choices (most core sites have 24 schedules, mixes of when you have each specialty), then the computer spins and you get your assignment. Most people get top10 choices but some get shafted with a low low choice.

Oh and they strongly suggest moving to your CORE site as you will most likely take call at some point.

Thank you for answering this so quickly! Do you by any chance know how many core sites we have to choose from? Thanks again for your help!!!

How strong is their focus on OMM classes? Because some DO schools have pretty much stopped teaching these classes, or might as well have.

How strong is their focus on OMM classes? Because some DO schools have pretty much stopped teaching these classes, or might as well have.

2 hour lab a week every week. 1 hour of lecture a week every week. We have a very strong OMM faculty. All tables are adjustable. Cameras to teach show pretty much every possible angle, with variable zoom.

OMM is what you make of it, you are given all the tools to be a great manipulator. You must practice on your own outside of 2 hours a week to become good at it.

I don't think many DO schools have stopped teaching OMM as you NEED OMM to pass the Level 2 CE.

Grace-

How are you going to afford both of those apartments?? :eek:
That sounds like a decent plan- what are the mediapartments exactly?
The only reason I doubt I will opt for something like this is because my bf isn't a TN resident and won't be able to est residency for a year, a year during which he cannot attend school in TN in order to get that instate tuition rate. He is able to continue doing long distance online courses at our state's community college, but I feel like the credits might not all end up transferring (plus he's itching for some real science courses that a cc can't quite provide). If he continues with those cc courses while establishing residency, that would make me more inclined to live very near school- why not if he's not driving to UT? However, that would then mean probably relocating closer to Knoxville for 2nd year and can I just say I am SO TIRED of moving? I have moved WAY too much in my college career...:( So needless to say I am in somewhat of a bind currently. And as pathetic as this sounds, I don't think I could do the whole week apart from him, even if he's simply sitting in the room while I study all night lol. Does your gf have friends in TN at all or is she just going to make do and focus on her schoolwork? Props to all these significant others making this journey with us! I do not envy their positions.

I am a second year at DCOM and live in knoxville. I live on the north side and drive to school for labs/OSCE's. However, I lived in the student apartments the first year because you have to be at shcool much more than you do in second year, mainly for anatomy and EPC during the first semester. I think getting an apartment at LMU is a great idea especially since it is fairly cheap. It would be even cheaper if you could find a couple classmates to spit a room with you.
By getting an apartment at LMU and splitting it, you can't be talking about the DCOM apartments on the hill right? I wasn't under the impression that those could be split? And if they can be, I assume only LMU undergrad/DCOM students can split them with you?

i'm coming too!

and nascardoc, your answer here definitely helped me decide and tip over the balance. not many 1st and 2nd years get to learn all this stuff before rotations.

exactly how much time do you guys spend in the sim labs as 1st and 2nd years?

To clear up the ACLS and ATLS confusion:

You will become BLS and ACLS certified while at DCOM. There are talks of doing PALS too. There is an ATLS course taught by our head of surgery, but you are NOT certified in it since you must have your degree (DO/MD) to be certified.

Also, as a 3rd year, I can tell you we are very prepared for rotations. I don't know anything about top 5% or anything like that, but based on my experience and my colleagues, we can hold our own very well. You WILL know how to perform lumbar punctures, central lines, intubate, etc PRIOR to rotations. The clinical training is very strong at DCOM for sure. You will be able to read an EKG extremely well too....and x-rays. The sim lab is an awesome experience and I can't wait to see it fully develop into the awesomeness it can and will be. Learning how to think like a doc is much different than book learning and the sim lab does a great job at prepping you for that.

1 simulation in the spring semester as a 1st year. 3 simulations in the fall of your second year and 4 simulations in the spring of your second year. Each simulation usually runs 20-30 minutes + 20 minutes of debriefing.

Each simulation is with a team of 5 students.

To clear up the ACLS and ATLS confusion:

You will become BLS and ACLS certified while at DCOM. There are talks of doing PALS too. There is an ATLS course taught by our head of surgery, but you are NOT certified in it since you must have your degree (DO/MD) to be certified.

Also, as a 3rd year, I can tell you we are very prepared for rotations. I don't know anything about top 5% or anything like that, but based on my experience and my colleagues, we can hold our own very well. You WILL know how to perform lumbar punctures, central lines, intubate, etc PRIOR to rotations. The clinical training is very strong at DCOM for sure. You will be able to read an EKG extremely well too....and x-rays. The sim lab is an awesome experience and I can't wait to see it fully develop into the awesomeness it can and will be. Learning how to think like a doc is much different than book learning and the sim lab does a great job at prepping you for that.

Good to hear. Thanks for posting.:)

It was the same for us 2 years ago. You won't find much online. Things are so spread out your best bet is to get with one of the real estate agents in harrogate (there's 2 main ones Realty Network and The Realty Group). We did and we found a good deal on our house (which is for sale BTW)

Just got back from Knoxville after looking for apartments with my girlfriend. We found a nice complex in west Knox right off of 75. We also found a really nice gym in the same area called "The Rush", very new with young population of members it seems. Im very excited to move in July and meet everyone! If anyone is interested in renting in west Knoxville the complex I will be renting at is "The Grove at Deane Hill".

Just got back from Knoxville after looking for apartments with my girlfriend. We found a nice complex in west Knox right off of 75. We also found a really nice gym in the same area called "The Rush", very new with young population of members it seems. Im very excited to move in July and meet everyone! If anyone is interested in renting in west Knoxville the complex I will be renting at is "The Grove at Deane Hill".

Thats going to be quite a drive daily...

That will be where I will stay on the weekends as I am also renting a one bedroom mediapartment on campus.

you should look at "the bluffs at beaver creek". it is exit 112 off of I75 and you can make it to campus in less than an hour.

we actually did look at the Bluffs and felt that a little further west suited us better, but thanks for the suggestion

I will be in the Harrogate region on March 26. I was wondering if any one living in the University Inn could show me there room? Or will the RA's allow us to see the inside of a room? It is the only time I could get off prior to school starting and be in the area. Anyone that could hlep me with this would be gladly appreciated.

Also can someone tell me about how the testing schedule is? How bad is anatomy since it is prosectioned?

You can see the schedules here: http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/academics/oms1.shtml

The first semester test schedule consisted of:
-Five written block exams, usually three weeks apart (MGA, MFM, EPC, FMHC)
-Five anatomy lab practical exams, with the practical on a Friday and the written on Monday or vice-versa.
-Three OPP written and lab practical exams, every six weeks. This schedule holds all four semesters.
-Two OSCEs with standardized patients.
-Except for the OSCEs or in case of rescheduling due to snow, there are no lectures on exam days.

Prosected anatomy isn't bad. It saves you time removing the skin and fat, only to face the possibility of not being able to touch that cadaver for a day or two because you uncovered flesh that the formalin didn't reach, that needs to be treated directly. You'll get to do dissection yourselves during the lower limb block (except the feet will already be done for you, they take longer) and when opening up the chest and abdomen, as well as some other parts. Do the prosectors make mistakes? Sure, but probably no more than you would.

I was wondering if anyone ever heard what the COMLEX average is at DCOM for this past year?

93% pass rate.....no average score released

Has anyone heard anything back in regards to their FAFSA? I filled mine out over a month and a half ago and have not heard anything yet.

Has anyone heard anything back in regards to their FAFSA? I filled mine out over a month and a half ago and have not heard anything yet.

We recently got an email from Pat Peace saying that they were getting financial awards together for 4th years next week, 3rd years after that, and 2nd years at the beginning of May- So they probably won't send your award letters out until May I'm thinking! Don't worry, as long as the FAFSA got turned in, you'll be fine! :)

Without having the award letter until May can I go ahead and setup private loans for the remaining financial needs or is it better/need to wait to receive the official award letter?

Without having the award letter until May can I go ahead and setup private loans for the remaining financial needs or is it better/need to wait to receive the official award letter?

I didn't take out any private loans, so I wouldn't know when the best time for that would be. I don't know what your situation is, but I know that it is a little harder to get private loans these days due to the economy. You will be able to take out the full cost of attendance, which can be found here: http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/finaid/budget.shtml
So for you OMS-1's, if you take out the full amount allowed, you will be getting $60,333 in loans. At the beginning of each semester you will receive a lump sum check of what you have left after they take out tuition, fees, health/dental (if you get it through the school), and housing if you stay at the student apartments.

Got the call yesterday that KCUMB has moved me off of the waiting list and accepted me....I have already paid my deposit to Debusk and I love the school...KCUMB has a great rep though...I am kinda in limbo now and not sure what to do. anyone have any suggestions.

Got the call yesterday that KCUMB has moved me off of the waiting list and accepted me....I have already paid my deposit to Debusk and I love the school...KCUMB has a great rep though...I am kinda in limbo now and not sure what to do. anyone have any suggestions.

DCOM all the way. You wont regret it.

Both get you where you need to go...the question is, which will fulfill your wishes the most along the way. The biggest difference here I'd say is location, and therefore your rotation experience will vary drastically. Both are systems based teaching, which was a selling point for me in my search. KCUMB was also was one of my favorite programs while I was researching schools, but I did hear/read about many negatives and complaints from students there (nothing sticks out in my head specifically though), whereas I have yet to hear anything bad about DCOM's first three years outside of the normal new school kinks. Decisions decisions....oh what a position to be in :)

I will say this...you better decide quickly so these poor souls that are waitlisted on here don't sit around wishing and waiting too long, right guys?? :D

I'm coming out the first of May to arrange for housing. Is there anything left? Also, how do you arrange for the two months that you aren't living there in the summer when you go home to live with family? Do you just pay for those months as well?

Thanks.

I'm coming out the first of May to arrange for housing. Is there anything left? Also, how do you arrange for the two months that you aren't living there in the summer when you go home to live with family? Do you just pay for those months as well?

Thanks.

Almost any landlord will expect you to pay for them even if you aren't there. They can't do anything with the property while you're gone, and they're still paying taxes on it.

You should aim to have your lease expire at the end of June, since that's when rotations start and you'd be leaving town. And that way even if you move after first year, you'll start in July and end in June at the new place too.

Quick question for the upper-classmen,

Are there many people planning or have taken both the Complex and Usmle Step I? What are the advantages of taking both? If someone has taken both do you feel that by doing this you might have compromised yourself as opposed to just studying for the Complex?

Thanks!!!

Quick question for the upper-classmen,

Are there many people planning or have taken both the Comlex and Usmle Step I? What are the advantages of taking both? If someone has taken both do you feel that by doing this you might have compromised yourself as opposed to just studying for the Comlex?

Thanks!!!

Corrected for you.

It's discussed ad nauseum in the osteopathic forum.

Competitive field? Take it
Easy field (primary care, psych)? Not necessary unless you want a big time program.

I vote for chill out at the beach, you've not entered med school yet.

Go with the school that has a better 3rd/4th year set up. I don't know anything about KCUMB, but compare core rotations and rotation schedules and select accordingly. I've seen quite a bit of folks out of KCUMB attain good residencies. DCOM's good and all, but sometimes coming from a program where residencies have seen prior students from a particular school perform does wonders for your chances at getting residency. Don't let anyone fool you, alumni network and reputation counts for something (but not everything).

Did anyone hear back yet??? I had an interview mid April and am dying! They said the committee was meeting this week to make a decision and so they would let me know...but do you know if they will call you or send you a letter because TN to Hawaii is for ever long!!!!!!

Did anyone hear back yet??? I had an interview mid April and am dying! They said the committee was meeting this week to make a decision and so they would let me know...but do you know if they will call you or send you a letter because TN to Hawaii is for ever long!!!!!!
They usually call if Dean Stowers is able to do so for acceptances.