LMU-DCOM Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope those students living in the student apartments would not have to do this?

I never thought I'd take such a basic service as garbage pick up forgranted :D

No, student apartments have a dumpster on site

The biggest problem with the area is that you have a lot of very narrow roads that curve a whole bunch, so the garbage trucks can't move around. Its honestly no big deal tho for those who have to go to the dump.

Members don't see this ad.

They opened up some days off a few weeks earlier so that students could go to the SOMA/AOA Convention in Las Vegas... I'll be going, fo sho.

Oh yes, I will be going too :D (that is if the OMS I's are invited)!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello fellow DCOM students,

I will be starting there in the fall and i am very excited :)
Thanks for posting the fall schedule, so very helpful.
I have put my deposit down for a two room campus apartment and wanted to knw if my family can stay with me when they are visiting. Also, is there anyone living in the campus apartments with their significant others?

Taking the trash to the dumpsters yourself is optional, and free. There is a service you can pay, called Waste Away, but why pay when the locations are all over and free. And of course you do not have to at the apartments.

I guess I'm going to start looking all the companies up so I can get almost everything connected before I get there. What would I do without the internet?

That's what we did (other than electricity and water that's always been running.) All of our services are set up to become active the day we move in. Speaking of which, that's in 2 weeks!!! :hardy:

My husband was finally approved to keep working remotely from home for his company in Michigan (yay!), so the internet is pretty crucial.

That's what we did (other than electricity and water that's always been running.) All of our services are set up to become active the day we move in. Speaking of which, that's in 2 weeks!!! :hardy:

My husband was finally approved to keep working remotely from home for his company in Michigan (yay!), so the internet is pretty crucial.

You are going to be up there for a while before classes start. That's really good that your husband has his job lined up. I have no clue what mine is going to do. Anyone know any nice restaurants around there hiring? lol

You are going to be up there for a while before classes start. That's really good that your husband has his job lined up. I have no clue what mine is going to do. Anyone know any nice restaurants around there hiring? lol

And there's going to be nothing to do until then, but I figure we've been paying rent for 3 months now, might as well move down and get situated now that this wedding business is done with! What does your husband do?

What are you all doing about textbooks? Are you buying them online now or waiting until you get to school to buy them at the bookstore? I want to get the best deal, but I want to use loan money to buy them and I know that is going to take a while to get to me. I'm sure this has already been posted somewhere already, but if we buy books through the bookstore on campus, do you just "charge" them to your school account?

My husband is a chef. I really doubt there is going to be anything close enough and nice enough that he will want to work at. :( We shall see!

What are you all doing about textbooks? Are you buying them online now or waiting until you get to school to buy them at the bookstore? I want to get the best deal, but I want to use loan money to buy them and I know that is going to take a while to get to me. I'm sure this has already been posted somewhere already, but if we buy books through the bookstore on campus, do you just "charge" them to your school account?

The first few days of class you can charge the books to your account and they will take it out of your check. Prior to school starting you can not charge them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get my panoptic set while I have the money. I'll probably end up blowing it all by the time school starts haha. I wonder if there will be any differences in price or equipment between now and July?

are you guys already buying stuff like kits? damn, i havent even sent in my physical form and etc. housing and loan business is all i've done.

My husband is a chef. I really doubt there is going to be anything close enough and nice enough that he will want to work at. :( We shall see!

There's not much for that line of work. Most of the stuff around here is fast food. There are a few places though. My husband is a manager at Applebee's and he commutes all the way to Knoxville. We live in Speedwell though, so it is only about 50 miles. I am sure he will find someplace to work.:)

I haven't sent the physical stuff in yet either. I'm getting all the lab work done next week. At least I'm up to date on my immunizations, because this packet takes awhile to complete!

are you guys already buying stuff like kits? damn, i havent even sent in my physical form and etc. housing and loan business is all i've done.

I haven't sent the physical stuff in yet either. I'm getting all the lab work done next week. At least I'm up to date on my immunizations, because this packet takes awhile to complete!

I agree!! I am one TB test away from sending EVERYTHING in and I will be so relieved when I do. I'm making copies of everything I send and may even end up driving all of my paperwork over there myself. Ha! I'm paranoid.

Everyone:

Congratulations on your new lives as osteopathic medical students! I wanted to assist any new DCOMer's w local area information. Being from this area does have advantages.

Just contact me via email at [email protected]. Take care.

so far, i've gotten my physical done and my immunization records are up to date. i forgot i had to show up at the doc's office for my TB test, so i gotta do that. i haven't gotten the chance to get my background check done or my piss test. i figure i'll take care of that after i graduate on the 31st.

so far, i've gotten my physical done and my immunization records are up to date. i forgot i had to show up at the doc's office for my TB test, so i gotta do that. i haven't gotten the chance to get my background check done or my piss test. i figure i'll take care of that after i graduate on the 31st.

Happy Graduation! My shot records were a hassle to get since I received my vaccinations in several different places. Part of my physical was at my family doctor and the other was at work... Lots of paperwork to bring in. I'm getting excited though!

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get my panoptic set while I have the money. I'll probably end up blowing it all by the time school starts haha. I wonder if there will be any differences in price or equipment between now and July?

Honestly, I wouldn't buy the panoptic until school starts. I don't remember what the price in the bookstore was, but it was VERY competitive. Besides, there isn't much to do with it before-hand anyway. The booktore only sells the equipment at the beginning of the school year, so keep that in mind.

How much does it cost for a gym membership up there? Just trying to factor that into my budget.

How much does it cost for a gym membership up there? Just trying to factor that into my budget.

Students are allowed to use the workout facilities at LMU for free, and they are putting equipment in the DCOM student apartments.

Students are allowed to use the workout facilities at LMU for free, and they are putting equipment in the DCOM student apartments.

If we aren't living in the student apartments though, can we still go over and use the equipment? It would be nice not to have to pay for a gym membership. Mine in Knox is outrageous.

If we aren't living in the student apartments though, can we still go over and use the equipment? It would be nice not to have to pay for a gym membership. Mine in Knox is outrageous.

I don't know if that's been determined yet. You might contact Dr. Leo about that.

National or The Rush? :)

I don't know if that's been determined yet. You might contact Dr. Leo about that.

National or The Rush? :)

Court South - West end, which is linked to National Fitness.

Is the LMU gym nice? Up to date? I know they had just remodeled to pool.

Hello all! If any of you are planning on living in the one-bedroom "Marsee" apartments, PM me! I have an update for you... I might even throw in a photo or two! Yes... I am a trespasser.

When I went up for my interview one of the students that I met at the pizza night seemed to be pretty pleased with the facilities...but I didn't really get many specifics.

When I went up for my interview one of the students that I met at the pizza night seemed to be pretty pleased with the facilities...but I didn't really get many specifics.

The weight room we use at lmu isn't particularly spacious with tons of benches like you see in most schools..however its suffice. This year we'll have a weight room in the apt's and i heard there will be free weights, benches, treadmills etc but less machines i believe. We'll see..not that many workout at the lmu gym though i only see a few of my classmates regularly.

I would wait in regards to textbooks. You'll get a much better idea by then of what you will need. Netter's is absolutely needed but is provided through SOMA membership.

I really didn't find much use for the textbooks for year 1 -- however, for neurosci I would recommend buying the textbook and atlas and also buy the txtbook for psychiatry.

Gym for the most part is looking good. There are still equipment needed to be implemented. The space looks adequate.

The pool should be ready by the time we get back.

You will have to pay a membership -- that is the initial thought process as it is only fair to have the resident gain 1st priority. The membership is expected to be small (~ $10/month) and the fees will go back towards improving the med student apt/gym.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy the panoptic until school starts. I don't remember what the price in the bookstore was, but it was VERY competitive. Besides, there isn't much to do with it before-hand anyway. The booktore only sells the equipment at the beginning of the school year, so keep that in mind.

I agree -- buy it from the bookstore. You will get exactly what you need. The last thing you need to do is buy various parts at a cheap price and find out either you are missing something or it is not up to par with what we needed. Don't skimp, plus the cost isn't that bad overall.

:smuggrin: Have fun attempting to dump your trash in the already loaded dumpsters :laugh:

Ohhh another 2011'er joins us from out of the shadows now that school is out! ;) I haven't seen you around before.

Thanks for the tips! :)

Congrats on finishing your first year! :hardy:

Ohhh another 2011'er joins us from out of the shadows now that school is out! ;) I haven't seen you around before.

Thanks for the tips! :)

Congrats on finishing your first year! :hardy:

Thanks! I'm still hesitant to call myself an MS-2, waiting on the Psych grade :sleep:

Totally enjoying the summer, you better too!

I think Dr. Nielsen may agree with you, "prionsRbad" :laugh: -- I'm sure the other 2011'ers know what I'm talking about

BTW, this is for anyone -- 2011 or 2012'er ... the SDN ID is also my AIM ID ... so feel free to AIM me up if you wish.

I would wait in regards to textbooks. You'll get a much better idea by then of what you will need. Netter's is absolutely needed but is provided through SOMA membership.

I really didn't find much use for the textbooks for year 1 -- however, for neurosci I would recommend buying the textbook and atlas and also buy the txtbook for psychiatry.

*Perfect*, thank you - I was feeling like everyone around me was already ordering them online.

I hope my psych degree helps me out for psychiatry.:rolleyes: I was dead set on specializing in psychiatrics until I spent a year helping to raise 3 children - now I can't see myself anywhere other than peds!
Congrats on finishing your first year! We're moving down in NINE days!!! :hardy:

*Perfect*, thank you - I was feeling like everyone around me was already ordering them online.

I hope my psych degree helps me out for psychiatry.:rolleyes: I was dead set on specializing in psychiatrics until I spent a year helping to raise 3 children - now I can't see myself anywhere other than peds!
Congrats on finishing your first year! We're moving down in NINE days!!! :hardy:

It's always that way -- everyone rushing to buy books. Heck, you can buy mine cheaper than you can find on half.com or amazon if you wish. You know where to contact me if you have AIM. This goes for anyone.

I would think having a psych degree will help ... but, Osborn tends to be wishy-washy (to me anyway), maybe things will change now that he's full time faculty. It seemed that a lot of what he spoke came out of the reading in the book.

Your specialty of choice will change 1000000 times in the middle of year 1 alone, don't be tunnel-visioned into a specialty. Who knows -- you may end up in GI.

Thanks -- we got our OPP grades back, I passed. Thank the Lord :laugh:

Good luck on the move up here :thumbup:

Important questions I'm sure have already been covered 100 times, in reverse priority:

1. Who is the cable provider for Harrogate.
2. Where is the closest place to buy a bottle of whiskey.

Important questions I'm sure have already been covered 100 times, in reverse priority:

1. Who is the cable provider for Harrogate.
2. Where is the closest place to buy a bottle of whiskey.

I've been searching on the internet and I've asked around but I'm fairly sure there is no cable provider for Harrogate. So you have to get DSL with ATT and satellite tv. But I'd love to be wrong about this :)

I've been searching on the internet and I've asked around but I'm fairly sure there is no cable provider for Harrogate. So you have to get DSL with ATT and satellite tv. But I'd love to be wrong about this :)

So, I'm guessing no discount :laugh:

I was just wondering, is anyone else on here ordering scrubs from the orthopedics club for next year? Or are you waiting until orientation?

I was just wondering, is anyone else on here ordering scrubs from the orthopedics club for next year? Or are you waiting until orientation?

Compare prices, but ultimately, support a school club.

I bought mine at $5/pair at the local flea market, but that was last year.