Living through Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cml156

LMUCVM 2025
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student who is very determined to pursue a SA rotating internship and a residency post DVM. I have already been looking at various programs on VIRMP and was wondering if anyone who's gone through an internship or residency can speak on how it was living-wise with the finances we are offered? I would hate for finances to deter me from a good program that could be within my best interest in the long run. I'm just worried about trying to pay for me, my partner (since they are still in school), and our pets while living in a downtown city near one of the vet schools for residency. I would love to hear experiences from others to give me some peace of mind! Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I went into debt by the end of my academic internship, and that was even without needing to make student loan payments. I might have been able to skate by, the the cost of visiting places for residency interviews, attending a conference, and some unexpected vet bills plus residency moving expenses did me in.

The pay in private practice programs typically is better. In my private practice resident I am making more than double what I did in internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely needed financial support from my parents during internship. I was at a low paying private practice program in a state with a high cost of living (which I’m sure is only worse now, since I was an intern eight years ago). My rent was $1200 and my monthly take home pay was barely over $1600. My parents paid for my gas, car insurance, phone, health insurance (because I wasn’t 26 yet) and more than one grocery trip. Most months I could scrape by, and honestly as an intern I was too busy to do much more than work and recover+grocery shop on my days off.

As a resident in academia, I was in a lower cost of living area and the salary was like 8-10k higher. My parents did still pay for my phone and gas and flights home for the rare visits, but it wasn’t as difficult to afford to live. There wasn’t a lot left over month to month, but I could afford my bills. I managed to pay slightly more than my income based minimum on my student loans during residency. I didn’t have any major pet health crises but my program gave good discounts and had pet insurance. Again, there’s so much for a resident to do that I didn’t do a lot outside of work, reading and studying at home, and resting. No expensive hobbies, no fancy trips, or anything like that but it wasn’t awful. I went home once or twice a year but didn’t take other trips. I ate out some but not a lot.

As a single person, I will say that it seemed to me (obviously outside looking in which has its limitations) that those residents who had a significant other had an easier time of it, purely because they have someone to split rent and share bills with. If your SO is in school they can get student loans or if they’re not they can work which could help immensely. But it seemed like my friends in relationships had nicer housing and more discretionary income for sure.

I lived off of savings during my internship year and was living pretty much paycheque to paycheque as a resident. I didn't live with my SO and did not have any pets during those years, which made it more doable.

My residency was so long ago it's probably not applicable to the situation today. It's really tough, but doable for most folks. I would be careful about the cost of living in the particular area. And if you have student loans, get into an income-based repayment program. Do NOT defer.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I went to a place that paid me a living wage for internship and I've stuck around for residency. I made $60k during my intern year and I'm making $80k during my residency. Programs out there exist, the best way for other programs to pay us what we don't deserve is to accept their crappy salaries. I know it's not easy and there's so many out there that pay **** but I think it's starting to change. My program is top knotch and I'm learning so much during residency.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I went to a place that paid me a living wage for internship and I've stuck around for residency. I made $60k during my intern year and I'm making $80k during my residency. Programs out there exist, the best way for other programs to pay us what we don't deserve is to accept their crappy salaries. I know it's not easy and there's so many out there that pay **** but I think it's starting to change. My program is top knotch and I'm learning so much during residency.
Holy smokes. Is this in a high cost of living area? That's double what I see in most places.

Holy smokes. Is this in a high cost of living area? That's double what I see in most places.
I think it depends. I'm in a large city (with I would say low-moderate cost of living overall) and my residency salary is 75k, with ample opportunities to pick up shifts at market value ER locum rates. The interns make less than me, but still much better than in academia.

Currently I'm getting paid over double to work less than at my internship lol, with a cost of living that is about the same. It's crazy how different the two sides are.

ETA Moose and I are both in the same specialty, which I think is trending higher and higher in salary due to demand.

• Love
I do think programs are trying to make improvements. I just checked my academic institution, and four years ago they paid us 35k/year. The 2023 listings on VIRMP have the salary at 50k. And that’s at academia in the south, not a traditionally high cost of living area or big city. But obviously more improvement needs made and a jump from 35-50 maybe isn’t quite as significant when you factor in recent inflation and all that. But it’s still improvement over just inflation adjustments from 4 years ago.

• Love
I think it depends. I'm in a large city (with I would say low-moderate cost of living overall) and my residency salary is 75k, with ample opportunities to pick up shifts at market value ER locum rates. The interns make less than me, but still much better than in academia.

Currently I'm getting paid over double to work less than at my internship lol, with a cost of living that is about the same. It's crazy how different the two sides are.

ETA Moose and I are both in the same specialty, which I think is trending higher and higher in salary due to demand.

Ahhh yes, private vs academia would definitely contribute too

I do think programs are trying to make improvements. I just checked my academic institution, and four years ago they paid us 35k/year. The 2023 listings on VIRMP have the salary at 50k. And that’s at academia in the south, not a traditionally high cost of living area or big city. But obviously more improvement needs made and a jump from 35-50 maybe isn’t quite as significant when you factor in recent inflation and all that. But it’s still improvement over just inflation adjustments from 4 years ago.

Good. I am SUPER glad to hear that salaries are improving. Residents and interns work far too hard to be paid crap. I didn't mean my surprise to sound like disapproval - I'm all for it!

I got 30k as a resident in academia in the south (so as you said, not a traditionally high COL area, but it was a college town so some stuff was overly expensive), and things got a little dicey sometimes when things came up like medical bills or car repair. Admittedly that was 10 years ago, so I would expect things to go up.....glad they are.