Listing publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tikopia

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will have 15 peer-reviewed publications by May 30th (11 first author) and I am planning to list them like this:

[1st author] NAME OF PAPER. Am J Surg. PMID: xxxxxx

[1st] " "

[2nd] NAME OF PAPER. J Surg Res. PMID: xxxxxxx

Any advice? Trying to minimize characters used since I have many to list.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
you can also say "please see cv for complete list if you dont have enough space." im sure you can attach a cv, i saw it on Dr Gray's stuff

you can also say "please see cv for complete list if you dont have enough space." im sure you can attach a cv, i saw it on Dr Gray's stuff
You cannot attach documents in AMCAS the last time I checked, so this is a bad suggestion. Maybe if you are applying MD/PHD (are you applying?), you could just highlight your last anticipated publication.

Do you have an ORCID? You can share your ORCID if anyone really wants to know. Most of us screeners dont't.

Members don't see this ad :)
You cannot attach documents in AMCAS the last time I checked, so this is a bad suggestion. Maybe if you are applying MD/PHD (are you applying?), you could just highlight your last anticipated publication.

Do you have an ORCID? You can share your ORCID if anyone really wants to know. Most of us screeners dont't.

Yes I do have ORCID, but I really wanted to show all my papers in the available work and activities space so people can see it then and there, rather than hope that they maybe look up my ORCID. Plus the titles of my publications have specifically been written to highlight themes in my PS and other activities.

Is listing them advisable? I think it could have a huge impact for my application if I can fit them all into like 2100 characters (3 slots), categorized by theme or authorship order.

15 is way too many to list, and no one is going to read them or look them up unless you are applying to PhD programs or MD/PHD. If you want to turn off screeners, by all means.

You can put the link to your ORCID account which should list your publications for you. Use your application space wisely.

Your strategy of referring to your papers in your PS sounds like you are wasting precious characters for a citation and could make you sound pretentious.

Reactions: 1 user
15 is way too many to list, and no one is going to read them or look them up unless you are applying to PhD programs or MD/PHD. If you want to turn off screeners, by all means.

You can put the link to your ORCID account which should list your publications for you.

I am not applying MD / PhD. Adcoms would be turned off by an applicant listing their accomplishments in peer reviewed research? Seems counter intuitive, especially given historical interest in publications by schools like Stanford.

I am not applying MD / PhD. Adcoms would be turned off by an applicant listing their accomplishments in peer reviewed research? Seems counter intuitive, especially given historical interest in publications by schools like Stanford.
Usually we tick off the research rubric once we see 1 peer reviewed paper (or similar accomplishment). Showing more than 2 is overkill. Giving us a full CV can smack of hubris.

BUT it works for PhD programs, which is why I asked. They focus on productivity and ability to get funded for fellowships or awards.

By all means if the Stanford or similar admissions officials instruct you differently, go with it. I just give my expertise working in admissions in the back end.

Get a Research Gate imo.

I had one W&A section for publications. I was able to list three, and then wrote 'A complete list of research items can be found at researchgate.net/profile/veer_'

That way anyone super interested in the full list can find it easily since researchgate URLs are really simple, and for everyone else they get what they needed to see from the other three I have listed. Also, I've heard it's appropriate to use AMA format.

Reactions: 2 users
That's quite impressive! Do not list.

I'd mention how many you have and how many of them were 1st/2nd authors. Then link to your ORCID/google scholar. If reviewers do check your ORCID, they can see additional information such as professional membership, funding, etc (information that you may not have provided in your primary application), which may put you in a more positive light.

I would then use your remaining characters to discuss more about these publications and why they're important to you, what impact they have, etc.

See this post by Catalystik regarding shortening the citation: