Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you're in a small town without a DO it isn't a mark against you. Having one is a mark for you tho. So take that how you will

I would have to respectfully disagree, I'm from southeast Michigan which is packed with DO's, and there was never any questions about why I didn't have one.

Members don't see this ad.

I would have to respectfully disagree, I'm from southeast Michigan which is packed with DO's, and there was never any questions about why I didn't have one.

Fair enough. When I called back at the beginning of the cycle and asked some questions they told me having one wouldn't hurt me but it would help.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, if you don't have a DO letter, it just shows you are kind of lazy (unless you're truly in a small town). You need to just put in a few hours cold-calling / e-mailing. Most will be nice enough to let you shadow. I don't know why your DO didn't give you a letter, but that is really odd.
It happened to me with one DO who said he would write a letter, and then just kept not doing it for months (all the while telling me he was going too). I finally wised up to him, and got someone else to write me one. Some Doctors just don't want to do the letters. They think that LOR's are stupid and pointless, and they already have to do a lot of things they think are stupid, so they just don't write your letter. My only suggestion on this front is to find a younger doctor. They usually remember the struggle and will help you out.

I think DO letters are a big plus. Yes you can get in without them. But I think they help your app a lot for any DO school cause it shows a deeper interest than just 'well if I don't get MD I will go DO!'

Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion, if you don't have a DO letter, it just shows you are kind of lazy (unless you're truly in a small town). You need to just put in a few hours cold-calling / e-mailing. Most will be nice enough to let you shadow. I don't know why your DO didn't give you a letter, but that is really odd.

It was odd, and he is odd. Maybe it was for the best, but I am certainly not lazy. It is very hard to find a DO to shadow, let alone wrote a letter

Just be mindful that there are schools that MUST have a DO letter. So before paying for your primary app find out those schools so you don't apply to them, LECOM being one of them. The majority of schools just want a physician letter, MD or DO.

I don't think it's lazy not to have one, just make sure the letters you do have one from are strong and are from people who can articulate who you are as a person.

I have a few questions regarding admissions to LMU-DCOM. some may or may not be pointless. I checked out the pre requisites for the school and was wondering if those who applied to the DO program completed? Basically what I am asking is the list of requirements as far as classes, if a BS in Biology is needed for entrance, etc. I do know the MCAT and letters of recommendation and experience in medical volunteer is HIGHLY recommended. I am just curious on what other classes I would have to take to be eligible for admission. I have completed bio 1+2, English, psychology courses, and currently taking organic chem courses this summer. I saw that inorganic chem is required but im assuming I would have to go to another school to take them since they do not have them here in my current school. I have a 3.3 GPA, and plan on joining several medical related ECs this following year. I am also taking extra science courses to boost my GPA. ANY KIND OF FEEDBACK AND RECOMMENDATION(S) WILL BE GREAT. THANKS

I have a few questions regarding admissions to LMU-DCOM. some may or may not be pointless. I checked out the pre requisites for the school and was wondering if those who applied to the DO program completed? Basically what I am asking is the list of requirements as far as classes, if a BS in Biology is needed for entrance, etc. I do know the MCAT and letters of recommendation and experience in medical volunteer is HIGHLY recommended. I am just curious on what other classes I would have to take to be eligible for admission. I have completed bio 1+2, English, psychology courses, and currently taking organic chem courses this summer. I saw that inorganic chem is required but im assuming I would have to go to another school to take them since they do not have them here in my current school. I have a 3.3 GPA, and plan on joining several medical related ECs this following year. I am also taking extra science courses to boost my GPA. ANY KIND OF FEEDBACK AND RECOMMENDATION(S) WILL BE GREAT. THANKS
I don't think you understand how any of this works. You don't have to have a certain major. Your school has inorganic chemistry. Trust me. You need to do some basic research about applying to med school.
More importantly, this is the thread for the 2014-2015 application cycle, which you are obviously not involved with.

that is why I asked in the first place?.... I'll go to another thread though as this is the wrong one. I was just seeking some kind of guidance or direction.

that is why I asked in the first place?.... I'll go to another thread though as this is the wrong one. I was just seeking some kind of guidance or direction.

You need all the classes they list as required to get in but you can major in whatever you want. Your university should have inorganic chemistry...it would just be your general chemistry course 1 and 2.

Reactions: 1 users
So, upperclassmen and women, what do you wish you had done before starting? Places you wish you had travelled, experiences you wish you'd had? I don't plan to pre study or anything, but it's the last real stretch of freedom before the crushing burden of knowing you're living off of borrowed money.

You need all the classes they list as required to get in but you can major in whatever you want. Your university should have inorganic chemistry...it would just be your general chemistry course 1 and 2.
Inorganic is actually not usually the same as general chemistry. And I'm pretty sure inorganic isn't required. Inorganic is a 3rd year chemistry class that chemistry majors take. I've actually never seen any school require anything beyond sophomore level classes.

Regarding the question about having a D and getting in, it's possible. I have a smattering of Cs in required classes and one D+ in a non-required class. But my undergrad GPA wasn't really spectacular. My graduate GPA was higher, which is not very common.

I'd like to say that I had a good reason for doing awfully in my undergrad classes, but I really didn't. I just didn't work that hard, and my grades showed it. I hope you have a good reason, because it'll help a lot. Otherwise, you may have to prove that you can handle the workload of medical school. DCOM will be my third trip to graduate school, and I can tell you that it's going to be rough. It's not even that the material is so much harder, it's that you're going to have to learn a lot of material in a short time. Honestly, the hardest part of it is going to be learning how to learn. I think it's pretty fair to say that a lot of people have yet to really learn how to learn in undergrad. Let's face it; undergrad is pretty easy. Sure, a lot of us worked hard, but the requirements for an A are a lot easier than the requirements for an A in most med school classes. The only class that I can really think of that is a decent comparator is Organic chemistry. But instead of taking organic and a bunch of other stuff, you're taking orgo and 5 other classes just like it.

The good news is if you get in, you will quickly learn how to learn. It kind of comes with the territory.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my TB test today, apparently have to get another titer for rubella though.
Luckily I have two sets of titers. One from pharmacy and one from when I started work. There was a mistake on my report from my first round, and one of my titers was mislabeled. It's not uncommon.
It's not, especially if you're just waiting in titers and such. If someone has to retake the hep b series, that's about three shots over several months for example and obviously wouldn't be finished by that deadline.
The full set takes six months. Five months has to pass from shot 2 to shot 3. As long as you're in progress, I've yet to see a school that will deny you. Not everyone got every shot growing up. And for some people, the initial vaccines didn't take.

Luckily I have two sets of titers. One from pharmacy and one from when I started work. There was a mistake on my report from my first round, and one of my titers was mislabeled. It's not uncommon.

The full set takes six months. Five months has to pass from shot 2 to shot 3. As long as you're in progress, I've yet to see a school that will deny you. Not everyone got every shot growing up. And for some people, the initial vaccines didn't take.
I called DCOM about it. As long as you start it you're fine. They are getting more strict they said cause there are still some second years without it done yet. So do your best. I was told to do the first shot of the series and do the rest there. I'm doing that for hep B and polio (polio titer is 300$$) so it's cheaper this way.

I called DCOM about it. As long as you start it you're fine. They are getting more strict they said cause there are still some second years without it done yet. So do your best. I was told to do the first shot of the series and do the rest there. I'm doing that for hep B and polio (polio titer is 300$$) so it's cheaper this way.
Got a polio shot myself this week. Its weird to vaccinate for a dz that has no cases in the US. Either way, I am just checking the boxes, just another silly hoop to jump through.

I agree about the polio titer being way to costly, I am trying to get insurance to approve, but not that hopeful.

Got a polio shot myself this week. Its weird to vaccinate for a dz that has no cases in the US. Either way, I am just checking the boxes, just another silly hoop to jump through.

I agree about the polio titer being way to costly, I am trying to get insurance to approve, but not that hopeful.

Can you get your titer at the health department? Mine were pretty cheap. It doesn't have to be a quantitative titer. My first round of titers were maybe 50 bucks for the set? Then I had to get the Hep B one because I wasn't vaccinated. My second set of titers was free. The hospital drew them for me for being an employee, and all they say is "immune." No listing of how much IgG I have or what constitutes immunity. Just "Immune" or "Not Immune."

IF you go to the health department, bring a book. Every trip in that place will take HOURS. Hell, it was 30 minutes just to PICK UP RESULTS. Really. Took that long just to walk in, get to the right counter, (after being directed to 3 others) and then get my results. But it's SUPER cheap.

Can you get your titer at the health department? Mine were pretty cheap. It doesn't have to be a quantitative titer. My first round of titers were maybe 50 bucks for the set? Then I had to get the Hep B one because I wasn't vaccinated. My second set of titers was free. The hospital drew them for me for being an employee, and all they say is "immune." No listing of how much IgG I have or what constitutes immunity. Just "Immune" or "Not Immune."

IF you go to the health department, bring a book. Every trip in that place will take HOURS. Hell, it was 30 minutes just to PICK UP RESULTS. Really. Took that long just to walk in, get to the right counter, (after being directed to 3 others) and then get my results. But it's SUPER cheap.
My health dept told me they dont do polio titers

Not sure if someone asked this earlier, but when do the Mars and lee apartments usually get filled? I've been delaying finding housing since I'm on the waitlist for my instate school. Also, is that place just for DCOM students or anyone? Is there a way I can request for my roommates to be first year DCOM students? Thanks in advance for anyone who responds!

DCOM doesn't require polio titers, they just ask for hep b, mmr, and varicella titers.
If you dont have record of polio, and dont want to redo the series, they require titers

Does anyone know when we're getting more information about OMS1 yet? I've finished all my Certified stuff. FAFSA is done and loans are accepted. All I really know is orientation is on the 27th of July. Just trying to make sure I haven't missed anything. Should I be reading the handbook or anything?
You should be having fun.

You should be having fun.
Does working full time and selling my house count?

I kid, but I am actually enjoying my last bit of being a professional before going back to 'cluless student' again. No more professional fulfillment for me till residency.

As long as I can leave work at work, life is alright, even if I work a couple hours extra. That will be my main goal at residency, to just get that charting done. No point coming home to just do more work.

Does working full time and selling my house count?

I kid, but I am actually enjoying my last bit of being a professional before going back to 'cluless student' again. No more professional fulfillment for me till residency.

As long as I can leave work at work, life is alright, even if I work a couple hours extra. That will be my main goal at residency, to just get that charting done. No point coming home to just do more work.

Keep on keepin' on. I am coming to grips with going back to being an unemployed student again. This time with a pregnant wife and child. Almost here.

Anyone hear of waitlist movement yet?

I know at least two people I have met/interviewed with have been taken off the waitlist.

One from our group, one that I met at an interview for another school and begged her to apply lol
That's awesome!! Wonder who else from our group is going here...

Does DCOM email you once they have received your FAFSA? I submitted about 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything and whenever I look on Pathway there is no financial aid data for me. I think I saw on here that Ms. Martin was going on vacation, perhaps that is why I've not heard anything if she is the one that processes that info (?)

Does DCOM email you once they have received your FAFSA? I submitted about 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything and whenever I look on Pathway there is no financial aid data for me. I think I saw on here that Ms. Martin was going on vacation, perhaps that is why I've not heard anything if she is the one that processes that info (?)

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I can say that she is in the office today.

And to confirm what others have said, yes waitlist movement has just recently started. *fingers crossed that I'll get the call soon*

Once they PROCESS your FAFSA and it has been released to the school, you *should* get this email.

"Your financial aid award for fall 2015 and spring 2016 has been made. If you do not have an award showing, you will need to contact me to let me know there is an issue.

To access your award, go to your Web Advisor account and take the following steps:

1.Under the Financial Aid section, click on “Financial aid award letter” to view your award.

2.After viewing your award, go back to the Financial Aid menu to click on “Accept or reject my financial aid awards” and indicate your decision beside each award, unless you want to reduce an award. Please do not indicate a response if that is the case, I will do it on your behalf. NOTE: If you want to reduce the amount of one or more of your loan awards or decline one semester of loans, send an email to [email protected] indicating the loan(s) you want reduced (i.e. Plus Loan) and the actual amount you want on the loan. For example: If your Grad Plus Loan award is for $15,000, but you only want to borrow $10,000, send an email indicating that you want to reduce your Plus Loan to $10,000.

3.Once you have indicated your decision on all awards, be sure to click “SUBMIT”.

4.After you have accepted or declined your awards, go to the DCOM Financial Aid webpage, click onhttp://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/finaid/completion.shtml and follow all the steps including instructions to complete the Direct Loan counseling and esign your eMPN. This is all you need to do to apply for your loans. There is no actual application.

5. You will also need to fill out the title IV form located at the DCOM link above, please put DO2019 in the upper left corner. Please return it to me (Amy Arnold) via e-mail or fax. E-mail is the preferred method.

Let me know if you have any questions or encounter any problems with the process. Until all steps of this are completed, your financial aid will not be processed.

***as a side note, if you are attending boot camp, aid will not be available for that time frame

Thanks,
Amy Arnold"

I am looking for some advice. So there are about 15 textbooks to buy for the fall, and some of these come with CD's, online tutorials, question banks, and other benefits. Which of these books did you significantly use these extra materials and which of the books did you wind up really only needing the text?

I am looking for some advice. So there are about 15 textbooks to buy for the fall, and some of these come with CD's, online tutorials, question banks, and other benefits. Which of these books did you significantly use these extra materials and which of the books did you wind up really only needing the text?

There's definitely convos about this on the FB page. Best advice: wait until you get here and buy Amazon Prime. Free two day shipping is fabulous. You definitely need Grants Dissector (unless your lab group is very good at sharing). I recommend Rohens Anatomy Atlas over Netters. I believe SOMA gives out a free Netters with membership. The green OMT book (Savarse?) is really good for reviewing information.

Other than those, I'd say wait it out. Tons of us are selling books for cheap via Facebook. There's also a silent auction through one of the clubs at the beginning of the year. Many students simply hand down their copies of the books.

Reactions: 2 users

I bought almost all of the "required" books from 2nd years for about $200. I think I actually used 3 of them all year. I wouldn't worry too much about them yet. You can always ask on the FB page if anyone has books to sell.

Didn't really use text books at all and I would recommend waiting on buying them. First semester I used netters a little. Second semester I used Picmonic

I am starting the graduate program at LMU next year and am currently looking for somewhere to live. I was hoping someone could help me learn about the areas off campus that most people live and also where I shouldn't try to live. Any feedback will be greatly appreaciated

Anyone know what is needed for first day of class (computer etc...)? The welch Allyn medical materials?

Anyone know what is needed for first day of class (computer etc...)? The welch Allyn medical materials?

Typically just show up. Computer is probably a decent idea. It'll just be paperwork, here's the curriculum, meet the faculty and staff etc etc

That stuff is barely needed...ever. Especially not the first day of class. Bring maybe a laptop and a pen.

Has anyone heard / seen any posts on updated information regarding rotation quality?

The problem with this is that people have very different experiences 3rd and 4th year and most of what you'll see on the Internet are the people that had the bad experiences. Even people who had the same preceptors have widely different views on how the rotation actually went. If you have specific questions you can pm me. I'm not going to say that the rotations are all super and amazing and that you don't have to put in the time if you want a good education...because you do. But I am sitting in orientation for my number 1 specialty at my number 1 ranked program and I was a pretty average student all through med school. I really can't complain.

Reactions: 7 users
The problem with this is that people have very different experiences 3rd and 4th year and most of what you'll see on the Internet are the people that had the bad experiences. Even people who had the same preceptors have widely different views on how the rotation actually went. If you have specific questions you can pm me. I'm not going to say that the rotations are all super and amazing and that you don't have to put in the time if you want a good education...because you do. But I am sitting in orientation for my number 1 specialty at my number 1 ranked program and I was a pretty average student all through med school. I really can't complain.

What did you get?