Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My top choice!!

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. I am one of the lucky ones to start Medical School at LMU-DCOM. Just wanted to say if you apply here, you will get the wonderful love from the student to help you along the way and feel you make at home. You may be able to find faculty that's always open to help and questions everywhere, but the co-operation of all the students will be unparalleled. Go ahead come to LMU-DCOM, you won't regret it. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
LMU-DCOM is an excellent school. I have just finished up my first year here and will be a second year when you interview. If you have any questions, concerns or thoughts, please feel free to send me a message. Since it is summer I should have plenty of time to hop on here and answer. Good luck on your MCAT, Applications and interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
LMU-DCOM is an excellent school. I have just finished up my first year here and will be a second year when you interview. If you have any questions, concerns or thoughts, please feel free to send me a message. Since it is summer I should have plenty of time to hop on here and answer. Good luck on your MCAT, Applications and interviews.

I totally agree with what Happy Student is saying. I interviewed here last year and got an acceptance. Despite getting accepted somewhere else and paying a $2500.00 deposit, I couldn't let LMU-DCOM go and forfeited my deposit to join here. All the students treat you like family. Loved it here, wouldn't accept anything less for you. Good luck you all.

Where are the rotations at

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Hey guys! I will be applying here as well. Quick question for the current students: what is the area/housing situation like at this school? I am from the northeast, so I am not too familiar with TN. Also, is there any sort of instate or area bias here?

Hey guys! I will be applying here as well. Quick question for the current students: what is the area/housing situation like at this school? I am from the northeast, so I am not too familiar with TN. Also, is there any sort of instate or area bias here?

There is no area bias here. I am from the west. The housing is actually cheaper here than northeast. My wife and I rent a 4 bedroom home for 900 a month. It is relatively easy to find good housing if you look around. Second years will be moving out when you would be looking to move in. They will often post the homes they rent on facebook. If you are accepted here then you can join the facebook group where these posts are.

I totally agree with what Happy Student is saying. I interviewed here last year and got an acceptance. Despite getting accepted somewhere else and paying a $2500.00 deposit, I couldn't let LMU-DCOM go and forfeited my deposit to join here. All the students treat you like family. Loved it here, wouldn't accept anything less for you. Good luck you all.

I second everything here. This place is definitely the gem of medical schools after having toured many. LMU definitely has a family-type of atmosphere and everyone is more than willing to help you (from staff to fellow students to student's spouses)! The facilities are also awesome, and the surrounding area is so beautiful. I would be attending here this year if I did not have personal circumstances which keep me in Michigan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can students stream lectures from home?

Yes, you can watch the lectures from home. They are all recorded (unless there is a hiccup, like a power outage) and posted that afternoon for your viewing pleasure. At the start of classes about 90% of our class were avid class attenders. By the end... 30%? It was mainly because the semester was so busy. Some professors were more easily watched using media site and double speeding than others. If you choose to be a mediasiter, there is nothing wrong with this at all. The only issue is if for some reason the lecture is not posted (as previously stated).

Yes, you can watch the lectures from home. They are all recorded (unless there is a hiccup, like a power outage) and posted that afternoon for your viewing pleasure. At the start of classes about 90% of our class were avid class attenders. By the end... 30%? It was mainly because the semester was so busy. Some professors were more easily watched using media site and double speeding than others. If you choose to be a mediasiter, there is nothing wrong with this at all. The only issue is if for some reason the lecture is not posted (as previously stated).

hmmmm............ so what do you do in that case? I mean if a lecture is not recorded, watch the older lecture?

How far is LMU from Knoxville? Where do people live usually near the school or closer to Knoxville. What does Harrgote have to offer in terms of life and quality? LBQT favorable?

Last edited:
I will be submitting my app next Friday and hoping to get get an acceptance from LMUDCOM as it is in my top 3. Main reason why LMU is not my top choice is I don't know how successful they are when it comes to students pursuing ER medicine. Some of the schools up north have ER as core clinical sites. I am obviously not very familiar with how the rotation/residency matching works but would any students that are currently enrolled spread some light on this. I am very interested in ER Medicine, and have heard schools up north have better rotations, matching rates. One important thing that LMUDCOM has that has sparked my interest is the clinical rotation with a doctor in a rural area, I am thinking that this experience would be extremely beneficial to my future goals in third world countries as well as here in residency.

One question: I am taking the MCAT for the first time on July 12th (so my score probably won't get to LMU till August 15th), will this affect my application/getting an interview early? I will submit my application next Friday, LORs first week of July, and MCAT as above.

Oh yea, I toured the campus last December and it is a beautiful place to live/study. ( I felt so refreshed staring at the mountains and fields across the golf course from the balcony next to the cafeteria.) Probably the most scenic area I have seen in all my life.

hmmmm............ so what do you do in that case? I mean if a lecture is not recorded, watch the older lecture?

As stated by another student, usually they post the previous years lecture. However, for me, I actually am a visual learner and just end up going through the lecture (depending on the lecturer, physiology I never watched, just read the PDF's) on my own. I got more out of it. However this worked for me. You have to find what works for you.

How far is LMU from Knoxville? Where do people live usually near the school or closer to Knoxville. What does Harrgote have to offer in terms of life and quality? LBQT favorable?

Usually students live in or around harrogate. I would not particularly recommend trying to commute from Knoxville. It is too far of a drive and rather difficult. You could media site, but first semester will be very difficult as you have labs 3-4/5 days usually. Those are mandatory. In addition, the commute time is about an hour, maybe more depending where in Knoxville you live, that is 2 hours of precious study time. My wife and I lived in La Follette when we first move out here, it become too much of a hassle and we moved to Harrogate a few months later. However, some students preferred the commute and have made it work, but not without its stresses. The life style in Harrogate is small town; area population of ~17,000. If you are ok with small town then this is the place for you. It is beautiful and quaint. But if you are looking for somewhere nearby to get wild on the weekend, it is not Las Vegas or Emerald city. Many students will take trips to Knoxville the night after a test and this works for them. I am not a partyier, nor do I drink, so what I have shared is the deepest I can go on the topic. As for quality, it is again small town. The Walmart is... Walmart. But truthfully the area is only for 2 years and will give you fun stories for when you have students shadowing you someday. Can you expound on what LBQT means? The only thing that comes to mind when I see those letters is LGBT, is this the same thing? If so then there is a gender equality club here. There are many individuals of many different faiths, beliefs, sexual orientations and we all mesh well and have become good friends. This truly is an excellent school. Don't let the location or recent development of the school fool you.

I will be submitting my app next Friday and hoping to get get an acceptance from LMUDCOM as it is in my top 3. Main reason why LMU is not my top choice is I don't know how successful they are when it comes to students pursuing ER medicine. Some of the schools up north have ER as core clinical sites. I am obviously not very familiar with how the rotation/residency matching works but would any students that are currently enrolled spread some light on this. I am very interested in ER Medicine, and have heard schools up north have better rotations, matching rates. One important thing that LMUDCOM has that has sparked my interest is the clinical rotation with a doctor in a rural area, I am thinking that this experience would be extremely beneficial to my future goals in third world countries as well as here in residency.

One question: I am taking the MCAT for the first time on July 12th (so my score probably won't get to LMU till August 15th), will this affect my application/getting an interview early? I will submit my application next Friday, LORs first week of July, and MCAT as above.

Oh yea, I toured the campus last December and it is a beautiful place to live/study. ( I felt so refreshed staring at the mountains and fields across the golf course from the balcony next to the cafeteria.) Probably the most scenic area I have seen in all my life.

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/2014-residency-placement-by-location.pdf

Here is a link a link to the residency placement of the class of 2014. 14 members placed in Emergency medicine. This is actually pretty good. Dr Seaman is an ER physician and very dedicated to making sure students get to where they are wanting to be. If you have an interest in ER medicine then coming here would in no way hinder your desires. Some of the core rotation sites are in or around areas that have ER residencies. For example Chillicothe OH has an EM Residency program and is a core rotation site. The ER club is highly active around here and tries to find opportunities for its members to expand their CV's. In addition, if you want ER, a large factor in fulfilling this desire is based on you and how proactive you are on setting up your elective and audition rotations.

As for DCOM rotation sites, here is a link to them. During years 3 and 4 you will do your core rotations at one of these sites. Cores must be done there, but electives and auditions can be done anywhere your heart desires.

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/academics/sites.shtml

As for the MCAT, I took mine in August and had an interview for November by October. This is in no way late. If you have an interview before December, you have absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of seats being filled already. Heck, even up till March they still had a 1/4 of the class to fill left. Plenty of space.

Usually students live in or around harrogate. I would not particularly recommend trying to commute from Knoxville. It is too far of a drive and rather difficult. You could media site, but first semester will be very difficult as you have labs 3-4/5 days usually. Those are mandatory. In addition, the commute time is about an hour, maybe more depending where in Knoxville you live, that is 2 hours of precious study time. My wife and I lived in La Follette when we first move out here, it become too much of a hassle and we moved to Harrogate a few months later. However, some students preferred the commute and have made it work, but not without its stresses. The life style in Harrogate is small town; area population of ~17,000. If you are ok with small town then this is the place for you. It is beautiful and quaint. But if you are looking for somewhere nearby to get wild on the weekend, it is not Las Vegas or Emerald city. Many students will take trips to Knoxville the night after a test and this works for them. I am not a partyier, nor do I drink, so what I have shared is the deepest I can go on the topic. As for quality, it is again small town. The Walmart is... Walmart. But truthfully the area is only for 2 years and will give you fun stories for when you have students shadowing you someday. Can you expound on what LBQT means? The only thing that comes to mind when I see those letters is LGBT, is this the same thing? If so then there is a gender equality club here. There are many individuals of many different faiths, beliefs, sexual orientations and we all mesh well and have become good friends. This truly is an excellent school. Don't let the location or recent development of the school fool you.

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/2014-residency-placement-by-location.pdf

Here is a link a link to the residency placement of the class of 2014. 14 members placed in Emergency medicine. This is actually pretty good. Dr Seaman is an ER physician and very dedicated to making sure students get to where they are wanting to be. If you have an interest in ER medicine then coming here would in no way hinder your desires. Some of the core rotation sites are in or around areas that have ER residencies. For example Chillicothe OH has an EM Residency program and is a core rotation site. The ER club is highly active around here and tries to find opportunities for its members to expand their CV's. In addition, if you want ER, a large factor in fulfilling this desire is based on you and how proactive you are on setting up your elective and audition rotations.

As for DCOM rotation sites, here is a link to them. During years 3 and 4 you will do your core rotations at one of these sites. Cores must be done there, but electives and auditions can be done anywhere your heart desires.

As for the MCAT, I took mine in August and had an interview for November by October. This is in no way late. If you have an interview before December, you have absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of seats being filled already. Heck, even up till March they still had a 1/4 of the class to fill left. Plenty of space.

Thanks much for the info. That's one thing about my fellow DCOMers, they always help and help in a complete way.

Right, I meant LGBT. I know the school would be, but what about the community?

Also what happened at the school?

Right, I meant LGBT. I know the school would be, but what about the community?

Also what happened at the school?

I am not sure what are asking? But, I think I can relate it to you being confused about how I said "recent development of the school"? Sorry, I worded it poorly. I was just saying, don't let the fact that DCOM has only been running for 7 years fool you into thinking it is not an excellent school.

As for the community outlook on LGBT, I cannot truly answer as I don't entirely know. However, there are many here I am friends with and I have not seen or heard that they have received bias from the community. I am sure that as long as it is not a flaunting lifestyle you (or anyone you may be asking for) live, then the community would never know any different and therefore not be able to discriminate. Does this help in answering your question/s?

Last edited:
Right, well I'd be bringing a spouse, which is the issue. Obviously I'm discrete among public places, but still there's a limit before people obviously make decent guesses. But yah, where are the rotations primarily btw?

Hello all,

I love this school. Do you think I have a chance here? I did an informal research, 1 poster presentation, a lot of EC's (including both medical and non-medical). I have a strong committee letter, 1 MD, trying to shadow a DO soon. My sGPA is 3.29, cGPA 3.47; however, my MCAT is not well-balanced (PS/VR/BS - 9/4/10) - I don't know how DCOM will look at that verbal score, but I already registered for a retake in late July with hope to raise my score a bit more. I am not URM but I have economically and medically disadvantaged background and the first generation that goes to college. I graduated with a BS in biochemistry, and I'm currently a post-bacc student.

Hello all,

I love this school. Do you think I have a chance here? I did an informal research, 1 poster presentation, a lot of EC's (including both medical and non-medical). I have a strong committee letter, 1 MD, trying to shadow a DO soon. My sGPA is 3.29, cGPA 3.47; however, my MCAT is not well-balanced (PS/VR/BS - 9/4/10) - I don't know how DCOM will look at that verbal score, but I already registered for a retake in late July with hope to raise my score a bit more. I am not URM but I have economically and medically disadvantaged background and the first generation that goes to college. I graduated with a BS in biochemistry, and I'm currently a post-bacc student.

Everything else look promising accept MCAT. I my opinion a score of 4 in VR is just too low. I would think that taking it in July and hoping for the best would be a better idea.

One of my top choices! I love the area and I'm from rural eastern TN.
MCAT = 30
GPA = 3.8

Are there any research opportunities for students?

Right, well I'd be bringing a spouse, which is the issue. Obviously I'm discrete among public places, but still there's a limit before people obviously make decent guesses. But yah, where are the rotations primarily btw?

So I realized that my post may have sounded rude. In no way do you have to hide who you are here. I was just saying that in general if you are not advertising, then people will never know the difference, really. Anyway, a spouse would be just fine here. My wife has two friends that are apart of the SAA that are married together and neither has said they have experienced any bias due to their relationship. If people guess, then cool, I don't think you should have any problem at all.
As for the rotation sites, I posted the link a few posts ago, just in case, here is the link again to the rotation sites. They do fluctuate here and there, but for the most part they are located in Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas (for now), and Mississippi.

Last edited:
Hello all,

You have a chance. Truthfully, like you have already identified, work on the MCAT VR. Although I don't think the MCAT is a good measure of how you will do in medical school, it is still used as a gauge. The biggest thing I would say they will look at first, is how well you sell yourself in your Personal Statement. Your scores need to be satisfactory, but if you can convince the reader that you belong in medical school, then you have a chance at an interview. Once you get an interview, you just need to sell yourself to the interviewers as to why you belong at that particular medical school and then you are set!

One of my top choices! I love the area and I'm from rural eastern TN.
MCAT = 30
GPA = 3.8

Are there any research opportunities for students?

Yes it is a great school and the scenery is impeccable.
There are opportunities for research if you look for them. Dr Throckmorton (spelt wrong) does a brown lunch bag get together and discusses research and interests. He is conducting some research on something dealing with feet (his specialty) and looks for students that are interested. Because research is not as prominent here, funding is actually relatively easy to get. If you have an idea, then you can discuss it with professors and they will help get you funded and started.
If you are looking to jump onto a professors idea, then those are a little more far and few between.

Hi all! I'm going to be a 2nd year student this upcoming year so feel free to message me if you have questions!

Would my significant other find work nearby? She does health administration.

Would my significant other find work nearby? She does health administration.

It is hard to say. There are at least three hospitals within 30 minutes of the area she could apply to. But, it is not the easiest to get a desirable position, from my understanding. A friend of mine works here as a nurse, but it is not her number one job. luckily it is only for a short time though. Other students spouses have ended up finding employment near Knoxville and Morristown and commute every day.

Thanks for the info! A couple more questions, relatively minor in the scheme of things, but I was wondering if there is a dress code for class? And also if there are any gyms or athletic facilities? Thanks again for all the information!

Thanks for the info! A couple more questions, relatively minor in the scheme of things, but I was wondering if there is a dress code for class? And also if there are any gyms or athletic facilities? Thanks again for all the information!

There is a dress code, however it's very casual. It isn't out of the norm to see people wearing athletic clothing to class, though they aren't in the majority. I at least try to wear a shirt with a collar to class (when I show up).

There is a gym, though it is small and isn't anything to brag about. However, there are gyms in Middlesboro and Tazewell that are supposedly nicer. There is also an intramural basketball court on campus. There will also be intramural sports both fall and spring semesters.

Good luck to everyone applying.

I'll be matriculating as an MS1 to LMU next month. I had a small handful of schools to choose from and DCOM was the easy choice for both myself and my fiance. If anyone has any questions about applying to LMU or the interview process I'd be happy to help.

Good luck to everyone applying.

I'll be matriculating as an MS1 to LMU next month. I had a small handful of schools to choose from and DCOM was the easy choice for both myself and my fiance. If anyone has any questions about applying to LMU or the interview process I'd be happy to help.

What made you choose LMU over the other schools you were accepted to? Thanks for the info!

Wow! 17 people matched into EM Residency! I haven't seen that many get matched from the same school. We those kind of match rates screw going up north, I would rather be in my home state. LMUDCOM my #1. Could you comment on my chances here.

I posted my stats here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/chances-app-help.1075118/

In no way to be contentious, I don't know if I agree with Makati2008 on retaking the courses to increase your sGPA. It's kinda what it is. If you have more science courses before you graduate, do well in those and they will help a little. The only one that COULD be retaken and matter is the Biochem. Organic Chem is never used through Med school. There has been maybe 2 or 3 times that they have ever mentioned anything remotely close to O chem in school and that was during bio chem courses (it was a lecture regarding omege 3 and 6 FA's, and it was mainly nomenclature). The lower level genetics course is not a big deal assuming you did indeed get an A in a higher level genetics course. Retaking a course would be a waste of your money and time, in my opinion. Rock your MCAT and they won't care about the C's. Your Science GPA and cumulative are good enough to get in somewhere. Personally I think your CV is competitive enough to get into DCOM and other schools (again, MCAT pending... you can do it). While DCOM has raised its standards, it is certainly possible for you to get an interview. You have put in the work, now the key is writing your personal statement and essay answers in such a way that it shows them you deserve a chance at an interview and matriculation.

In no way to be contentious, I don't know if I agree with Makati2008 on retaking the courses to increase your sGPA. It's kinda what it is. If you have more science courses before you graduate, do well in those and they will help a little. The only one that COULD be retaken and matter is the Biochem. Organic Chem is never used through Med school. There has been maybe 2 or 3 times that they have ever mentioned anything remotely close to O chem in school and that was during bio chem courses (it was a lecture regarding omege 3 and 6 FA's, and it was mainly nomenclature). The lower level genetics course is not a big deal assuming you did indeed get an A in a higher level genetics course. Retaking a course would be a waste of your money and time, in my opinion. Rock your MCAT and they won't care about the C's. Your Science GPA and cumulative are good enough to get in somewhere. Personally I think your CV is competitive enough to get into DCOM and other schools (again, MCAT pending... you can do it). While DCOM has raised its standards, it is certainly possible for you to get an interview. You have put in the work, now the key is writing your personal statement and essay answers in such a way that it shows them you deserve a chance at an interview and matriculation.

You would definitely know the requirements better than me! Im not on the main campus anymore.

Does Kiick still teach Biochem?

What made you choose LMU over the other schools you were accepted to? Thanks for the info!

While your question was more directed to Mehd school, I can share my opinion on why I choose LMU-DCOM; The family environment to me is uncanny. Everyone is willing to help everyone. There is no cut throat behavior and everyone knows that we have a goal and are working toward it. The professors are like none other. They all have a drive to help you succeed; Your success is their success. After all, if the students start failing, then the professors start failing and no one will want to attend here. There will be some that you like more than others. But I have found none that I dis-like. This is an excellent institution that has its main focus on you being the best physician you can be. They are geared toward making you fit for rotations and ready to hit the ground running when you get out in the real world. The school has a state of the art anatomy lab, clinical/manipulative skills lab, simulation lab and clinical room lab that are all intended to help you become more comfortable working with patients. Occasionally, there are hiccups, but this will happen everywhere. In addition, the area of Tennessee is gorgeous and makes for a wonderful place to gain an education. I have no regrets thus far in choosing DCOM as my school to train me in medicine.

Last edited:
You would definitely know the requirements better than me! Im not on the main campus anymore.

Does Kiick still teach Biochem?

Yes Kiick is still apart of the Biochem team, great professor, makes Acid/Base reactions seem like child's play. Are you a third year/fourth year?

Thanks for all the info! Is there a lot of people who take both COMLEX and USMLE at LMU? How well do you think the school prepares you for them?

Thank you for the advice. I can't really retake any of the C's as I go to a 4 year university that won't allow retakes for C's and I don't think getting an A in a community college class will mean much. However, I did make an A in the second part of biochem that I took last semester. Since second semester of junior year I have been taking between 15-17 hours of high level science classes (biology/microbiology) with one social science each semester (3 hours), and my gpa each semester has been 3.76+.
Hopefully, I will get that 45 mcat score (Go big or go home right? :)).

The quick answer is that LMU just seemed so much better put together than the other schools I interviewed at. LMU came off as a cumulative, whole package. They have successful systems set in place with their curriculum and their board pass rates. The students and professors shared a collaborative environment that made everyone comfortable and felt like we were all on the same team. I also liked that they take great pride in providing some of the best technology and facilities for their students. It's even in their mission statement.

While I was making my decision my boss (an MD) made some phone calls on my behalf to a certain LMU rotation hospital that also happened to be shared with three other schools (2 DO, 1 MD) and the physician told my boss in great detail that LMU students were consistently better or most prepared clinically of the bunch. This was consistent with what I was told by students and faculty at the school. You're in clinic about every week in second year. The early clinical exposure was paramount in my decision. Some of my M2 friends also told me that they greatly wish they had a systems based curriculum second year. Lastly, I intend to practice in a somewhat rural environment and this is part of the education at LMU. While there is a good chance I end up specializing I felt that I fit in quite well with this school's goals and ideals. Your mileage may vary.

Now that's not to say that LMU can do no wrong. I really wish the class size was about 60% as large as it is now. There have also been some gripes about rotation sites, but to my surprise a DCOM professor spoke with me at length about this during my interview. There were some kinks in the system as LMU transitioned in to a larger class size and new rotation sites were providing a less than acceptable experience. Some of these sights have since been removed and there is a rating system in place to ensure rotations sites are up to par.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

PS: Can anyone class 2017 or earlier or beyond message me? I'm taking a look at my budget and have some specific questions about financial aid.