Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the students who go here: What's LMU's test schedule like?

I've been accepted to multiple schools. Still, I ask because I am very close with my family, find that family support has helped me through tough times in school, and would like to see them more often than Thanksgiving and Christmas. I live in New York and also have a young nephew here whom I have helped raise once my brother passed away. I hope that I could commute at least two or three weekends each semester to see my family and nephew back home. Thanks :)

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/oms1-fall-schedule-13.pdf
http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/oms1-spring-schedule-14.pdf

I hope these help. By the way very happy to hear that you are very close to your family. I have also been accepted and am close to my family. One of the reasons I picked LMU over my other acceptance is the "family" atmosphere here. All the students are so helpful and answered all of my question in a very down to earth way and really made me feel at home. The professors are the same way too. after my interview here I had decided that if I get accepted here, I am coming to LMU. If you decided to come here, this will be a decision you will not only not regret but will be proud and happy about. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted to multiple schools. Still, I ask because I am very close with my family, find that family support has helped me through tough times in school, and would like to see them more often than Thanksgiving and Christmas. I live in New York and also have a young nephew here whom I have helped raise once my brother passed away. I hope that I could commute at least two or three weekends each semester to see my family and nephew back home. Thanks :)

First year here. I'm from the New Jersey/New York/Pennsylvania area and similarly am close to my family. I would say that you're ability to stay connected with them will be dictated more by your funds and less about how packed the schedule is. For me, it's a 12 hour drive back home (which I certainly can't do--I mean I could but it's pretty miserable--in one day), so the more feasible option is to fly home. The only issue is that flights back up to that area (La Guardia, Newark, ect.) from Knoxville run about $500, and due to the nature of my student loans, I just don't have that kind of money to make the trip.

Tests are usually on Mondays, but we've had a few Friday exams this semester. My girlfriend lives in tristate area, and we've been able to see each other once a month by meeting in Virginia where she has relatives. I assume that given your financial situation, you would be able to make it back home about the same amount. After tests would be your best bet, and we usually have one every 3 weeks on average. In short: you'll have the time (as I think most of my fellow classmates would agree), but the commute is rough if you're planning on just taking a weekend road trip.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm a first year from Florida. Home is also a 12 hour car ride for me. I get home for the major holidays and that's about it. That being said, I think it's possible to work out extra trips home, should you really need them. I'm not sure about flights to New York, but I fly home on Allegiant airlines for less than $200 round trip sometimes.

The biggest thing you have to consider is which school is right for you. If you know for a fact you won't be successful without being close to home, then so be it, and you should obviously choose a place close to home. That being said, it was very tough for me to leave my family who I am very close with, and who I had to leave for the first time really since I had gone to undergrad and grad school within an hour of home. I am very happy I made the choice to come to LMU DCOM though. I have a new family of sorts here. Everything you have heard about the family atmosphere here is 100% true, and is a great asset to everyone who is here, away from home. Good luck with your decision, and most importantly congrats on your acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year from Florida. Home is also a 12 hour car ride for me. I get home for the major holidays and that's about it. That being said, I think it's possible to work out extra trips home, should you really need them. I'm not sure about flights to New York, but I fly home on Allegiant airlines for less than $200 round trip sometimes.

The biggest thing you have to consider is which school is right for you. If you know for a fact you won't be successful without being close to home, then so be it, and you should obviously choose a place close to home. That being said, it was very tough for me to leave my family who I am very close with, and who I had to leave for the first time really since I had gone to undergrad and grad school within an hour of home. I am very happy I made the choice to come to LMU DCOM though. I have a new family of sorts here. Everything you have heard about the family atmosphere here is 100% true, and is a great asset to everyone who is here, away from home. Good luck with your decision, and most importantly congrats on your acceptances.

So happy and proud to hear and read this and excited to become a part of the family.

Here's hoping for some alternate list movement soon. Should be moving anytime now

Reactions: 1 users
Any dcom students looking for housing in the knoxville/fountain city area there is a 2bed / 2.5 bedroom home for $850. Not available until very end of June but the commute was doable for me and the landlord was great.

Last edited:
For all of you wait-listers stuck in limbo, I emailed Janette and she said that the committee should start meeting about the alternate list next month, so in roughly a week XD

So are there open spots now from people who decided to go elsewhere? and that those spots are going to the alternate list...or is it that as people choose another school it opens up and so on and so on... (does this even make sense?)

So are there open spots now from people who decided to go elsewhere? and that those spots are going to the alternate list...or is it that as people choose another school it opens up and so on and so on... (does this even make sense?)
Yes, when someone who was accepted to DCOM goes somewhere else, the spot is filled by someone on the alternate list. The largest number of spots open after the last deadline to pay the admissions deposit. Then the committee starts to fill those spots. I know it's tough waiting and seems to take forever, but it's still early in the alternate list process at this point. Hang in there. Believe me it's worth the wait.

Not to burst a bubble, but LMU-DCOM interview cycle is over. They will no longer be offering any more interviews. On the plus side, this means those that are waitlisted should be hearing something in the near future, as previous posts have mentioned. Good Luck!

Not to burst a bubble, but LMU-DCOM interview cycle is over. They will no longer be offering any more interviews. On the plus side, this means those that are waitlisted should be hearing something in the near future, as previous posts have mentioned. Good Luck!

Wow, really sorry for the ones hoping for an interview, but hopeful for the wait listed candidates. This also signals that we will be starting soon. Have no words to explain "I can't wait".

For the anatomy labs, can you wear your own scrubs you have, or do you have to wear a certain school set scrubs?

For the anatomy labs, can you wear your own scrubs you have, or do you have to wear a certain school set scrubs?

You can wear your own scrubs. No particular color or "name" required. However, there was talk that they were going to categorize people according to anatomy lab pod for us last year. Each pod would be a different color. But, I think that idea went out the window. Also... are you a part of the Facebook page? If you are accepted already to DCOM then I would recommend joining the page. Many questions similar to this one are answered frequently. Plus joining the page allows you to share and receive study notes for when you start.

Members don't see this ad :)

You can wear whatever scrubs you want. I know the school sells some with your name on it and whatnot, but in my opinion it's not worth it. I threw out my shoes/scrubs that I wore for anatomy lab (once I found out I passed the class lol) because you CANNOT get the smell out--no matter how much you wash everything. It made my drawer where I kept the scrubs stink and I didn't want the smell staying...Not worth buying $40 scrubs...I just got 2 pairs from a scrub store back home (there is slim pickings in Harrogate btw...so if you're coming from elsewhere, pick some up on the way here) and that was it.

You can wear whatever scrubs you want. I know the school sells some with your name on it and whatnot, but in my opinion it's not worth it. I threw out my shoes/scrubs that I wore for anatomy lab (once I found out I passed the class lol) because you CANNOT get the smell out--no matter how much you wash everything. It made my drawer where I kept the scrubs stink and I didn't want the smell staying...Not worth buying $40 scrubs...I just got 2 pairs from a scrub store back home (there is slim pickings in Harrogate btw...so if you're coming from elsewhere, pick some up on the way here) and that was it.

Thanks for the tip. What is the school color? I like black scrubs.

I bet the school's scrubs are pretty nice. Does someone have a pic of them or know the color of them? I use some blue green ones at work, but the tops have engraving with the clinic's name on it so I would not want to use those, unless I just buy some plain tops. I plan on getting some sets at Goodwill, they usually are $7-$8 a set. I think those would be good enough, at least for Anatomy lab.

No need to buy nice scrubs for anatomy lab. I bought two sets from Goodwill for under $15. As others have said, they will stink. Although I did get the smell out of mine. The school didn't sell scrubs directly, it's done through one of the student clubs and they had several color options and an option to personalize them. The only people that will see you wearing these is your fellow classmates, so I didn't see the need to put out the money for them.

No need to buy nice scrubs for anatomy lab. I bought two sets from Goodwill for under $15. As others have said, they will stink. Although I did get the smell out of mine. The school didn't sell scrubs directly, it's done through one of the student clubs and they had several color options and an option to personalize them. The only people that will see you wearing these is your fellow classmates, so I didn't see the need to put out the money for them.

Nice tip. Every penny matters.

Thanks for the tip. What is the school color? I like black scrubs.

I bet the school's scrubs are pretty nice. Does someone have a pic of them or know the color of them? I use some blue green ones at work, but the tops have engraving with the clinic's name on it so I would not want to use those, unless I just buy some plain tops. I plan on getting some sets at Goodwill, they usually are $7-$8 a set. I think those would be good enough, at least for Anatomy lab.

Sorry I don't have pictures but they're basic scrubs in various colors with the school name/your name on it. They're nicer quality scrubs for sure compared to what you'd find at the local Walmart, but the cost wasn't justified for me. I'd probably consider getting them more 3rd/4th year. They're sold through a club (I want to say either surgery club or ortho or something) and there's variety. Goodwill is a good choice; honestly--don't spend more than 25-30 total on a pair. I recall that there were a few people that had scrubs from other clinics and it wasn't too big of a deal. I wish I had kept mine from my old volunteer position so I could've reused them.

this. no one will see it besides your classmates so there's no point.

Has there been any movement yet in the waitlist? I also heard there is an alternative acceptance list; I take it they pull from that list first? The suspense is killer...

Yeah man, this waiting game is not the most fun that I've ever had. Sadly, I don't think that they have started taking people off of the wait-list yet. I haven't heard of an alternative acceptance list; my guess is that it's the alternate/wait list.

Just got my acceptance call today from the wait list! Beyond excited and fell in love with the school during my visit. Everybody I met was very friendly and seemed to be a class act.

I was wondering if there was a Facebook group already for the class of 2018? I searched in here for awhile and couldn't find anything.

Thanks and best of luck to everyone else on the wait list, it's moving.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got my acceptance call today from the wait list! Beyond excited and fell in love with the school during my visit. Everybody I met was very friendly and seemed to be a class act.

I was wondering if there was a Facebook group already for the class of 2018? I searched in here for awhile and couldn't find anything.

First and foremost, congratulations!

Secondly, thank you for letting us know about the movement. I had a feeling there was movement going on considering that they did not answer any of my phonecalls this week. Hopefully it keeps on keeping on.

Congrats! Im glad to hear there is movement on the wait list.

Here is the link for the facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dcom2018/

Welcome and very happy to have you as a classmate. Excited for you.

Just a heads up for those who didn't have as much luck this cycle. LMU has a one year masters of science program where the students are guaranteed an interview at DCOM in spring if they keep their fall semester above 3.0. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

Reactions: 3 users
Just a heads up for those who didn't have as much luck this cycle. LMU has a one year masters of science program where the students are guaranteed an interview at DCOM in spring if they keep their fall semester above 3.0. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

Is it like the LECOM one that is basically a "guaranteed" acceptance with a 3.0?

From what I have heard ...if you do well (get an A or B) in Gross Anatomy you will be accepted.

Is it like the LECOM one that is basically a "guaranteed" acceptance with a 3.0?
From what I have heard ...if you do well (get an A or B) in Gross Anatomy you will be accepted...

I think lecom tells you the same as lmu for the interview but most students who have above a 3.5 in the first semester tend to get accepted. I'm sure it would be similar at lmu.

You'll also be taking some classes with the first years at dcom and if accepted in the dcom program, those classes (B or higher i think) will transfer over as credits to OMS-1.

Congrats! Has anyone heard of anymore movement? Getting anxious!

Congrats! Has anyone heard of anymore movement? Getting anxious!

I was told that they were going to look at the alternate list starting in the next 1-2 weeks. Considering the latest acceptance , my best guess is that they are starting to look at the list and taking a few people and that the majority of selections will occur in the coming weeks for the recent offers given out

From what I have heard ...if you do well (get an A or B) in Gross Anatomy you will be accepted.
Not always the case though, as a few students who have done well in both MGA and Histo have been waitlisted... either because of MCAT or other reasons. But the interview is definitely guaranteed if you get a B or higher in the DCOM classes.

I recently spoke on the phone with Janette Martin, Director of Admissions. She told me about 2 or 3 students have been accepted off of the alternate list and that greater movement will occur after May 15th! I hope I get in!

Reactions: 5 users
I may be a little late in posting this, or maybe it has already been shared, but DCOM finished 2nd in the nation in residency placement for all DO schools this year. This is calculated by determining what percent of residents were matched with their first choice. So the last four years have broken down like this for DCOM:

2011: 2nd
2012: 4th
2013: 4th
2014: 2nd

This is pretty encouraging if you ask me. (source: DCOM admission's office)

Reactions: 3 users
I may be a little late in posting this, or maybe it has already been shared, but DCOM finished 2nd in the nation in residency placement for all DO schools this year. This is calculated by determining what percent of residents were matched with their first choice. So the last four years have broken down like this for DCOM:

I agree with you, that is encouraging!

Thrilled to hear that. Looking forward to start school.

Should have all of your certified profile stuff in, or close to bring in anyways

LMU DCOM class of 2018