Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can disagree with me all you want, I am not here to argue. Are there exceptions to the rule? Yes. You were an anomaly.

Other applicants who are not "Cookiesncreamm", trust me on my earlier statement. I think I may know a thing or two about what LMU's adcom is looking for in an applicant...

You can DM me with any questions.

I disagree with you as well. The app process is truly a more holistic one at dcom. I know of several folks with not the best gpa and not stellar Mcats that are 3rd years through graduates from the school.

Members don't see this ad.

I disagree with you as well. The app process is truly a more holistic one at dcom. I know of several folks with not the best gpa and not stellar Mcats that are 3rd years through graduates from the school.

I totally agree and would say I am a good example of this case.

Quick question for you all. Is there an additional deposit that we must pay after the $1,200 that we paid to reserve out seat prior to receiving our financial aid in order to matriculate this fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
How spousal friendly is LMU? I know that Harrogate isn't the most big city place, so I was wondering how others with spouse's are finding the community in terms of support

Quick question for you all. Is there an additional deposit that we must pay after the $1,200 that we paid to reserve out seat prior to receiving our financial aid in order to matriculate this fall?

Hmmm, if there is then I haven't heard of it, But tomorrow I am going to call and make sure.

Hmmm, if there is then I haven't heard of it, But tomorrow I am going to call and make sure.
I have not heard about it either. I asked because I know that other schools require an additional deposit by April 1st, however their initial deposit was much less than $1,200. Please let me know what you find out. :)

I have not heard about it either. I asked because I know that other schools require an additional deposit by April 1st, however their initial deposit was much less than $1,200. Please let me know what you find out. :)

Sure will.

How spousal friendly is LMU? I know that Harrogate isn't the most big city place, so I was wondering how others with spouse's are finding the community in terms of support
There is a strong SSA presence. It is basically the club for spouses of students. My wife has participated in a lot of the activities. There are also play groups for members of the community with children, and also for the spouses of the students and their children. Our church group has played a huge role in support for my wife. While she has made friends with some of the wives through activities with the school, being involved in our church has helped a lot too. You're right, it is a small community. But, the school is tight knit. Everyone supports each other. I would recommend for your spouse to get as actively involved as possible. It makes the transition a lot easier, as well as getting to know people. The more you put yourself out there, the easier it is.

Reactions: 1 users
Cookie,
When did you complete secondary?
What was the interview date and when did they offer the acceptance?

Hey River10! I was marked complete on September 19 and was offered the November 1 interview date. Was all packed and set to leave when I was accepted at a different school... ended up withdrawing my name from consideration so someone else could have the chance to interview :) Good luck!

So for anyone who is concerned, I just called the admissions office about a 2nd deposit and they said LMU doesn't require a second deposit. The only deposit is the $1250.00 that we all have to pay.

Did they ever ask about your GPA?
It's an closed file interview once you get the invite, no more questions about your MCAT or GPA. That doesn't mean they won't consider it when they make the decision to accept you though.

I seriously find it interesting/weird that they seem to really like people who took the initiative to email/call them (to get the interview invite). I'm not complaining :p I really don't think it works like this at any other medical school though.

So for anyone who is concerned, I just called the admissions office about a 2nd deposit and they said LMU doesn't require a second deposit. The only deposit is the $1250.00 that we all have to pay.
Thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's an closed file interview once you get the invite, no more questions about your MCAT or GPA. That doesn't mean they won't consider it when they make the decision to accept you though.

I seriously find it interesting/weird that they seem to really like people who took the initiative to email/call them (to get the interview invite). I'm not complaining :p I really don't think it works like this at any other medical school though.

From what I understand, once they select you for an interview, they're okay with your stats. You could be waitlisted for whtever reason, but generally if you're called for an interview, they've already looked at all your stuff and are okay with you attending the school in terms of your stats. They're going to be looking at how well you "fit" the school's philosophy. It's closed file at DCOM so they won't know your stats unless you decide to mention them.

It is not that they like the person who calls them more than the person that does not. The school actually has a list of individuals they have evaluated and are planning to extend interview invites too. However, they don't want to extend invites too far into the future as they don't want to fill spots all the way to the end of the season. The purpose of this is to keep seats open while they continue to evaluate applications on a rolling admissions basis (basically, don't fill all your seats before you know who is out there). The people that are calling may already be on the list for an interview invite, but have not yet received the phone call. By calling in and asking the status of their application, the school is basically taking that time and opportunity to extend the interview invitation.

Many schools actually will re-evaluate an applicant if they call and express sincere interest in the school. A few schools I called and spoke too, I received interview invites a few day following contact. This does not mean that the more you bother them, the more of a chance you have, but instead, by updating your application and calling to receive a status update, it can bring your application to the surface again and allows for another round of evaluations. Schools want people who sincerely want to be there, it makes for better students and better physicians.

Hello friends,

I'm wondering if any of you has an idea of how much of the seats have been filled at this point. A close friend of mine is interviewing in two weeks and I would like to know if he has a solid chance at acceptance. His stats are 29+/3.3+. He is truly interested in attending the school next fall.

Thank you,

Hello friends,

I'm wondering if any of you has an idea of how much of the seats have been filled at this point. A close friend of mine is interviewing in two weeks and I would like to know if he has a solid chance at acceptance. His stats are 29+/3.3+. He is truly interested in attending the school next fall.

Thank you,
I think anyone up till the last interview has a good shot of getting in. Just like everyone else has said, getting an interview means they already like you for your stats and what you bring, they just want to see how you are as a person. Show up on time, be super nice to everyone, get ready to have a casual conversation and do your best!

Reactions: 1 user
I will be withdrawing from my seat here at LMUDCOM. Hope one of you still searching gets it!

KCUMB-COM. It's just closer to home - I'm used to the Midwest feel. I also prefer how KCUMB-COM is more established. I'm not saying that LMU-DCOM does not have a great foundation (for residencies, clinicals, etc.), it's just that my personal preference is to go with the school that has longer lasting relationships in this area. Regarding location, I am personally interested in the the expectational variations in medicine throughout different ethnicities, so it is important for me to be able to study in an area where that is highly prevalent. I still loved the feel of LMU-DCOM - the community, the area, and the feel are amazing. It's a tough decision to be giving up my seat, but that's just one more for someone who sees this school as their perfect match. Good luck all, you can do it!

Hello friends,

Thank you,

Nearly 200 deposits have been put down, which leaves ~45 seats.

So if you get an e-mail advertising their Post Bacc program...that's a rejection? It doesn't explicitly say...

So if you get an e-mail advertising their Post Bacc program...that's a rejection? It doesn't explicitly say...

Although this may seem like a sad email, don't be fooled, the post Bacc program, although not med school is NOT a horrible option if you want to keep moving forward in education. and don't have an acceptance elsewhere. If you don't want to be dormant for a year and still want a shot at LMU-DCOM next year (with a high probability of acceptance), and an easier first year of medical school, this is actually not a horrible option. You will do many masters classes, as well as classes with the medical students. These classes with med students transfer so that you don't have to do them during your first year of med school. This makes for an easier first year. Just a thought.

Although this may seem like a sad email, don't be fooled, the post Bacc program, although not med school is NOT a horrible option if you want to keep moving forward in education. and don't have an acceptance elsewhere. If you don't want to be dormant for a year and still want a shot at LMU-DCOM next year (with a high probability of acceptance), and an easier first year of medical school, this is actually not a horrible option. You will do many masters classes, as well as classes with the medical students. These classes with med students transfer so that you don't have to do them during your first year of med school. This makes for an easier first year. Just a thought.

I love your positivity :)

And yes, I spent all afternoon finding out as much as I can about that program. Sounds like a good deal and I would love to go. Now I just have to convince my parents! haha.

I love your positivity :)

And yes, I spent all afternoon finding out as much as I can about that program. Sounds like a good deal and I would love to go. Now I just have to convince my parents! haha.

I think that you will be able to get in next year without the post bacc. :)

This occurred to me last application cycle, but maybe its different this year.
LMU-DCOM did not send me a rejection letter pre-interview, at least I never got one after being rejected.

A Post Bacc letter either means
1) You applied too late
2) You were rejected/did not fit their mission

Someone correct me if I were wrong, but at least this was the case last application cycle

Last edited:
Any information on the waitlist? Its my only shot of getting in to this school now

I got a letter saying that my application is on hold. What does that mean?

Pre-interview
Ah ok. To my understanding being on pre-interview hold means that they have not quite decided wether to extend an interview invite or reject you and that your file could be reviewed later on in the application cycle. Now I could be wrong.

Ah ok. To my understanding being on pre-interview hold means that they have not quite decided wether to extend an interview invite or reject you and that your file could be reviewed later on in the application cycle. Now I could be wrong.
I hope so! I've fallen in love!

the letter also said to continue sending updates on my application.

But the cycle is almost over. lol...i'll just re-apply in June!

Well, I got the letter today. I have been placed on the waiting list for admission. :(

Well, I got the letter today. I have been placed on the waiting list for admission. :(
If may seem like a bummer but at the very least it is not a rejection. If you really want to go to the school just know that for past 2 years about 60 or about 50% get off the waitlist. It's a very good number going for us. Send a LOI, keep them updated, stay positive, and have a plan B ready.

If may seem like a bummer but at the very least it is not a rejection. If you really want to go to the school just know that for past 2 years about 60 or about 50% get off the waitlist. It's a very good number going for us. Send a LOI, keep them updated, stay positive, and have a plan B ready.
Thanks for the encouragement. Not being denied is what I am holding on to and a LOI has been written. (But it would be a lot nicer to have avoided med school purgatory in the first place!)

Thanks for the encouragement. Not being denied is what I am holding on to and a LOI has been written. (But it would be a lot nicer to have avoided med school purgatory in the first place!)
Oh trust me I know all about purgatory haha. I've been in purgatory pre-interview at 5 places since October and in 2 places post-interview since late February. At least with LMU , you'll probably know something at the earliest by April but more than likely by May. Everything would be so different if it was an acceptance rather than a waitlist spot. Even though we thought we did well in the interview and are confused by the decision its out of our hands now. I'm ready for whatever comes my way I guess. Keep on keeping on

I hope so! I've fallen in love!

the letter also said to continue sending updates on my application.

But the cycle is almost over. lol...i'll just re-apply in June!
I do encourage you to update them while you are on hold. ;) I wish you the best!

Does anyone have like a "check list" of things that new LMU-DCOM incoming students must do or take care of for this coming fall. I believe that the only things I have left to do are find housing and do my background check. If anyone has something similar to a checklist, could you please send it to me via PM. I feel like I might miss something.

Thanks in advance! ;)

Does anyone have like a "check list" of things that new LMU-DCOM incoming students must do or take care of for this coming fall. I believe that the only things I have left to do are find housing and do my background check. If anyone has something similar to a checklist, could you please send it to me via PM. I feel like I might miss something.

Thanks in advance! ;)
Or post it in the forum! I'm sure we'd all benefit. I feel a Happy Student post coming :)

Thanks in advance! ;)

Is there not a checklist in your packet? Granted it doesn't include personal things (like finding housing), but we had a checklist of all the material and steps that had to be completed prior to matriculation.

Is there not a checklist in your packet? Granted it doesn't include personal things (like finding housing), but we had a checklist of all the material and steps that had to be completed prior to matriculation.

You can always call the office to find out.

mmmm I do not recall reading a checklist in the packet that I received during my interview. Unless you were given an additional packet of documents post-acceptance.

Or post it in the forum! I'm sure we'd all benefit. I feel a Happy Student post coming :)
I thought about doing a general post, but opted to do it in LMU's thread just to be more specific.